BMR / TDEE v. 1200 calories

Options
I have been on this weight loss journey for only a short period of time (I started exercising regularly about 3 months ago, after taking time off after a running injury - but had kept eating like I was running, so put on a bunch of weight during my time "off"). About 4 weeks ago, I also added a nutrition component to my lifestyle change. I have had success and in those 4 weeks, have lost about 10 lbs. I know a LOT of this is water weight, but it is encouraging in any event.

This morning, I finally took some measurements and went to a website to calculate my BMR/TDEE. I am told that my BMR is 1411 and my TDEE is about 1850 (at my goal weight, my TDEE would be 1680).

I have had some short-term success at the 1200 calorie level (plus I add in 50-100% of my exercise calories, depending on how many calories I burned and how "full" I feel through the day). I'm considering upping my minimum intake, though, to the 1411... I'm just nervous because it seems a bit counter-intuitive to eat MORE when I'm still at the beginning and trying to lose quite a bit more weight.

I understand the arguments behind it (don't want body in "starvation" or "nutrient deficient" mode), but it's a bit scary - don't want to undo what I've accomplished thus far. I guess I'm looking for some advice / encouragement / pep talk before I go over the ledge. ha.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are all correct in both MFP and your TDEE calculations, and if you eat back your exercise cals with MFP, then the numbers come out about the same.

So whichever method is easiest for you - logging the exercise and eating back cals with MFP, or logging exercise as 0 cals burned and just eating to goal with TDEE method. Personally I like having the same goal every day, so I go the TDEE route.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are all correct in both MFP and your TDEE calculations, and if you eat back your exercise cals with MFP, then the numbers come out about the same.

So whichever method is easiest for you - logging the exercise and eating back cals with MFP, or logging exercise as 0 cals burned and just eating to goal with TDEE method. Personally I like having the same goal every day, so I go the TDEE route.

^^This.. Its just people that will sit there and do 2 hours of cardio, and not eat back exercise calories.. It is not all about how restrictive you can be to lose a few lbs.. its about enjoying your life while losing weight..

Most people do not enjoy losing weight and doing cardio eating 1200 calories(only or under) for long periods of time... that is why they fall off the wagon, binge, quit, gain back all their weight..