Vibram Shoes??

Options

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Can any women tell me what make/style of Vibram FF or Merrells they like? I'm looking at the See Yas right now. They also have See Ya LS and no one seems to explain the difference.

I love the Bare Access Arc 2. I actually bought 3 pair (currently using 2 and one is still in the box for backup). I guess the Bare Access 3 is pretty much the same, but I know I love the Arc 2 and I was able to find it on clearance.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try them, but I'm waiting until I lose a little more weight. I have had a lot of foot problems, and it took me a long time to find a shoe that allowed me to walk, workout, run, etc, without pain. (Ironically the pair that ultimately worked was a cheap brand of shoe carried by Pay Less).

As I lose weight, my feet need less cushioning and support, and I may try vibrams or something similar when I get closer to my goal weight.

Not sure if I understand. You don't need to lose weight to wear Fivefingers. Your feet don't need cushioning and support. That makes/keeps them weak! I would say if you are overweight you need strong feet!
    They will strengthen your feet and you most likely will have less problems wearing them (after transition time).

I agree.. I mean I'm in a ok shape physically but while currently going through the "transition" period I can feel so many muscles in my feet and calf area that get worked out just with basic movements and walking around the house. I would get them and just wear them around the house, Nothing too strenuous and your feet will adapt. You'll get those muscles working and I'm sure it'll help with pains you're currently dealing with. (I'm no doctor LOL)
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Does anyone lift very heavy weight in these vibrams? Do they stand up to it well? I'm concerned that heavier lifts may cause them to fall apart and they are pretty expensive. I sink deep in the cross trainers that I use when doing leg presses and the like, kind of enjoy the feeling, but I think any support becomes non-existent anyways at heavier weights (600-990lbs) and they do take damage...which is not very important in a $30 shoe, but would be with Vibrams... How well they hold up and the reports of funky smells after concern me :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I got my first pair for water sports (Sprint Model) and recreation. Then I started wearing Speeds at the gym for cardio and strength training. And during warm weather I bike in them too.

When I started running outdoors last May. I ran in Vibram Speeds. The one time I ran in normal running shoes, my feet hurt and I got blisters on the bottom of my foot. So I went back to my Speeds.

When the weather started turning, I bought water proof speeds. Their sole is a bit thicker and has more tread than the normal speed model. I really like them for running. My feet and calves have really profited by running in them.

I started running slow and short distances, because I had never run before. That probably made it easier for my legs and body to get used to the necessary gait and the extra stretch on my calves and tendons. I have the privilege to be able to run mostly on unpaved roads and natural paths. I avoid pavement as much as possible, but that would be my preference, if I ran in running shoes too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Does anyone lift very heavy weight in these vibrams? Do they stand up to it well? I'm concerned that heavier lifts may cause them to fall apart and they are pretty expensive. I sink deep in the cross trainers that I use when doing leg presses and the like, kind of enjoy the feeling, but I think any support becomes non-existent anyways at heavier weights (600-990lbs) and they do take damage...which is not very important in a $30 shoe, but would be with Vibrams... How well they hold up and the reports of funky smells after concern me :)

that sinking feeling- that's why you aren't supposed to lift in anything but flat sole shoes.

It's bad.
    You want a stable plateform.

That being said I have no idea how you could possibly think they wouldn't hold up to heavy lifting. The thing about sneakers/cross trainers and running shoes is that the inside breaks down far quicker than the outside- so magic 8 ball says your nice comfie shoes are alreayd shot to *kitten* and you dodn't even realize it.

The Vibrams are the same price point as any other decent atheletic shoe. If not cheaper- lifting shoes can easily run up to 200$.

A lot of people lift in chucks as well.

** I lift 5 times a week in vibrams or NB minamus- which has a vibram sole
    the Actual 5 finger's have held up better than the NB.
  • JayDavila
    Options

That's one concern of mine, I just wouldn't feel comfortable lifting in them. Well certain exercises anyway, But maybe that will change in time as I use them more. I've also hear that the "FUNK" they sometimes get is hard to get rid of LOL LOL
    I use Injini socks with a doctor schols foot spray as a prep with mine so hopefully that works.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lifting isn't an issue- you feel quiet a bit more connected and grounded.

I use the same brand of socks for my 5 fingers- they don't stink- my feet don't' stink and my shoes don't' stink. They are awesome.

Granted at 12$ a pop- they are hella expensive- but they are a great sock.
  • JayDavila
    Options

that sinking feeling- that's why you aren't supposed to lift in anything but flat sole shoes.

It's bad.
    You want a stable plateform.

That being said I have no idea how you could possibly think they wouldn't hold up to heavy lifting. The thing about sneakers/cross trainers and running shoes is that the inside breaks down far quicker than the outside- so magic 8 ball says your nice comfie shoes are alreayd shot to *kitten* and you dodn't even realize it.

The Vibrams are the same price point as any other decent atheletic shoe. If not cheaper- lifting shoes can easily run up to 200$.

A lot of people lift in chucks as well.

** I lift 5 times a week in vibrams or NB minamus- which has a vibram sole
    the Actual 5 finger's have held up better than the NB.

Good to know! Thanks
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i use their trail running sneakers from new balance. a lot of the same benefits of the five finger versions, but with more arch support for a guy like me with foot issues.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Oh of course they are broken down, like I said I know they get damaged, but I tend to use certain pairs for the power lifts, replace them frequently, and I still like to have something on when I lift heavy, even if its little more than broken down foam and rubber under my feet. The lifting shoes I tried I did not like and wouldn't want to waste $200 on them.

I like the idea of Vibrams, I'm concerned more about the stitching in them, changing position and torque could cause separation? Again I don't know, that's why I'm asking :) Good to know they are cheaper now, I think when I last looked they were close to $200.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I have been running with the same pair for almost 3 years now. I have logged just over 3,000 miles on the pair.

I cannot believe how long they last and how comfortable they are.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    <---- Just got them. My second pair.

I got my first pair to run in, but I didn't like them that much for running. They're okay, but not great. So my first pair became for general use and weight training. Pair number 1 is getting old and dingy, and I found an online deal for 1/2 off. How could I resist? Now I have a pair exclusively for weights, and another for day to day. It's a beautiful world.

I don't know. When it warms up I may just try running in them again, just for grins and giggles...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Oh of course they are broken down, like I said I know they get damaged, but I tend to use certain pairs for the power lifts, replace them frequently, and I still like to have something on when I lift heavy, even if its little more than broken down foam and rubber under my feet. The lifting shoes I tried I did not like and wouldn't want to waste $200 on them.

I like the idea of Vibrams, I'm concerned more about the stitching in them, changing position and torque could cause separation? Again I don't know, that's why I'm asking :) Good to know they are cheaper now, I think when I last looked they were close to $200.

shrug- I've never paid more than 80 for mine.

That being said- I have been power lifting and doing extensive body weight HIIT/Plyometrics in mine for almost 2 years. They hold up fine. :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    These are mine:

41IBZqLAOYL.jpg

I LOVE them. I got them this summer for running. I transitioned in to them amazingly quickly but for most people you will want to work in to them SLOWLY to avoid injury. I too have very small feet with high arches. I find the most important issue for me is making sure the entire chain, hips to toes, is in good condition. If anything in that chain is tight, it will pull through my feet and start causing problems. Get a foam roller or stick roller and a lacrosse ball!
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Definitely like JoRocka said, no concerns. I wear my "workout" VFF 5x week and do all kinds of workouts with them. Lifting, running stairs, plyo and bodyweight exercises, mobility, kettlebells, TRX, etc. Nothing breaks down and nothing needs stitching. I even did Zumba in them last year for a while. Torque is no problem. I am actually thinking they hold up better than most shoes. Not much that can break down.

Look at the Vibram FiveFinger page online. They have a sale going right now anyways. Up to 40% off. I have not seen ANY that are over $165 and that would be a leather style (very cool!).
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I do everything in mine from lifting to crossfit to running and racing and multiple OCRs. They are much more durable than a typical running or lifting shoe. My original pair are almost two years old and are just stating to show some cosmetic wear.

And, I usually don't pay more than $40-50 for mine.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I would say to definitely do your research, you can find certain styles relatively cheap online.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Anybody have issues wearing the toe socks? I have a pair I want to wear for on the weekends with socks. Just wondering how anyone has made out
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I have the low cut performance ones I wear, mostly when I'm just going to lift and bike and then run errands to keep my feet warm. They're fine for that, though for me socks for running tends to increase the liklihood of a rub or hotspot and I run short runs in just VFFs and longer distances with bodyglide applied to my feet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Anyone use Vibrams during their workout? I just purchased my 1st pair.
    I can't believe how comfortable they are and what a difference they make in your foot and leg muscles.
    Very impressed.

Vibram_fivefingers_Speed.jpg

Usually when I lift. Nothing like the feeling of digging your toes in during a good hard lift.