Calorie carry over

Options
I had a pretty big deficit yesterday and got to thinking about how long you can hold onto extra calories before they no longer exist? I usually give myself a 3 day window. Just wondering how long others give themselves to use extra calories up.

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    It depends on your time horizon. The farther away your goal is in time, the more relevant those calories become to your overall calorie/day, calorie/week, calorie/month, calorie/year average.

If you are trying to achieve a weekly goal of 2 pounds lost each week, you had better be using that deficit (surplus) that week. Next weekend's goal depends on this week's calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally don't look day to day...when I wake up in the morning and log in ....that's what I got..my daily goal...

Now mind you if at the end of the week if I have had a few overages but I am still on goal for the week I don't freak either..
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Maybe i should have mentioned that i am already at goal. I am just maintaining at this point. I was just wondering if one was to create a deficit of 3500 calories (1lb fat) over a span of two weeks, then the following week eat at a surplus of 3500 calories, would one gain a pound, stay the same, or even possibly lose?
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I try to use my calories each day. I can't fathom how my body would know I'm banking calories. I mentally imagine my body resets at night while I sleep (body functions use energy!) so every day is a brand new goal. I personally cannot tell myself I have leftover calories because I have an unhealthy relationship with food right now. I need to be more disciplined than ever and it works for me while weekly goals work for others.

ETA:
    Maybe i should have mentioned that i am already at goal. I am just maintaining at this point. I was just wondering if one was to create a deficit of 3500 calories (1lb fat) over a span of two weeks, then the following week eat at a surplus of 3500 calories, would one gain a pound, stay the same, or even possibly lose?

This sounds so complicated and highly subjective to each person. If I was on maintenance, I would assume I needed to eat a consistent amount of calories for risk of confusing my body and freaking it out. That's me, though, because I know how I am and what my body does and learning more each day. Others may have some science that disproves that line of thought, though.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    bump
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I look at my nutrition for the past 7 days, not just today. In maintenance, your weight will fluctuate. Why not give yourself a window, for example plus or minus two or three pounds. If your weight goes above or below that window, cut or add 100–200 calories.