Would you rather run in 80°F or 30°F?

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Either is OK. If it is 30° and slick, no thanks. If it is 80° and quite humid I would have to think twice. This is about my comfort range, though.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    30 any day of the week. 80 I get overheated and can't cool down, hard to breath, etc. 30, I wear layers, warm up and start to shed layers as I go. Quite warm by the time I'm done
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    30 is really not very cold for this Canadian. Minus thirty is too cold to run in, but 30? That's barely below freezing. There are still weirdos in shorts and sandals at that point in my city. I'd take that any day over 80, especially if the sun is out.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Depends on the wind. I ran in 10 degrees the other day no problem but if it's 35 and windy no thanks!

I prefer 40 - 75.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I rather run in cold weather. It motivates me to go faster to stay warm.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    30 is almost perfect weather! I have been running in sub zero temps these last few weeks, coldest is -15F! But I hate running in the summer! The warmest I have ran is probably 75!
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Having run in both, I definitely prefer 30 to 80. I shut down when it's hot. It's a lot easier to warm yourself up than it is to cool off!
  • VoodooChummy
    VoodooChummy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    With the summer humidity in New Orleans I'd much rather 30 than 80. It was 34 yesterday and halfway through the run I removed the sleeves and finished in a tank top feeling great. When it's 80 and typical 90+ humidity the runs just feel sticky.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I've lived a lot in tropical /sub tropical climates. I tried once to run in cold weather and gave me the worst headache. So I prefer 80 F.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    A runner in my group just posted that she'd take 80 over 30 any day. Personally I'd much prefer 30 -- assuming it wasn't freezing rain or something.

What's the coldest and warmest temp (with normal humidity and no wind/rain) that you consider "comfortable" to run in for a long-ish run?

For me it's 25° and 75° (fahrenheit).

30 any day of the week. For shorter distances I think it matters less. I would hate a full/half marathon where it was 80 degrees but would be fine with 30
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Definitely 30- regardless of wind/snow/etc. As soon as it gets into the teens, I would prefer 80.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question? lol! 30, every time for me. It would be interesting to ask this question again in July...
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'll do both... Heat is heat and humid and sticky, fine.

Cold...I warm up really fast, my friends call me either the Fireball or the Torch in cold temps
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It was about 22°F today when I ran and it was shorts weather for me, especially since it was harder work than usual with the packed snow and ice. I made the mistake of wearing long sleeves and managed to soak my arms, chest, neck, and back with sweat. My hat came off after a couple miles and it was soaked in sweat at that point. I was glad for the breeze on my bald head. ;) Anything over 50°F and I am dying from the heat. At least with the weight loss I won't feel so self conscious going around shirtless on warmer runs.
  • Crimson__Phoenix
    Options
    I would definately prefer to run in the 30 degree weather. I wise person once told me to dress like it is 20 degrees warmer than it actually is, best advice I have ever recieved when it comes to what to wear while running in cold weather.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    30 is almost perfect weather! I have been running in sub zero temps these last few weeks, coldest is -15F! But I hate running in the summer! The warmest I have ran is probably 75!

I'm dying to run the last few weeks but it's been ~10 or less degrees with a -15 wind chill...any tips for running in the super cold??
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    30 because my dogs like the cold better than the heat.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    30 degree temperatures are why god made treadmills.

This all day (eh, all winter) long.

80, 85, 90, sweat don't scare me.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    80. I don't do anything in 30 degree weather. I'm a Texas boy. THIN blood. Shoot, I'd rather run when it's 90 than when it's 40.

This for me too. Minus the thin blood and Texas boy parts.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    80. I don't do anything in 30 degree weather. I'm a Texas boy. THIN blood. Shoot, I'd rather run when it's 90 than when it's 40.

This for me too. Minus the thin blood and Texas boy parts.

Ha, I made a funny with those last 3 words and didn't even realize it.