So how's the ADOPT A NOOB program going? Updates?

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Those of you inquiring about being adopted, send one of us a message. You will find most all are willing to help as long as you listen a litlle and try a little.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Wish this program was around when I started.. there is alot of information out there.. I should mentor.. but I don't sugar coat things.. hmm interesting.

I wish that too...I had to wade through a lot of BS and unlearn most of what I thought I knew to be true.

Same here.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Not sure about completely adopting someone but always welcome for advice

I kind of took this route. I've sort of picked up a couple of strays.... often people who started explosive threads, with no ideas of the repercussions. But people who showed remarkable maturity, and didn't fight back and argue, if their original ideas weren't sound. I'd just help them as much as I could... always suggesting that they seek out a qualified mentor in the adopt-a-noob thread. I know one guy had some communication with one potential mentor, ( someone I suggested ) but he didn't think it would work out.

I am proud to say that the few people I have helped ( albeit, not tons of help ) seem to be flourishing on their own, currently.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The ones who contacted me are hanging tough.

And I have to say I am thrilled they all believe in eating. Have yet to see a diary that is open be in an area of scary not enough food.

They are talkative, and I like them. A few are just as quirky as me so it's going well. They actually are inspiring me.

A side result of them inspiring me is I have suddenly felt more obligated to tighten my own eating back into line and have lost a few pounds more.

Also it's helpful that I see chocolate and coffee in their diaries from time to time, let's me know I am friends with normal folks and not the food Nazis that can get a bit weird to be around.

This was a good idea. I feel really blessed they choose me.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    one of mine has lost 13.6lbs in her first 5 weeks and "gets it". no food deprivation. no food shaming. no crazy workout schedule at the gym. she has a positive attitude and is embracing this lifestyle change and enjoying it.

the other seems to have quit. i hope she comes back.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18417-noob-adoptions-they-grow-up-so-fast
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Most people just don't want to hear eat less food and/or exercise...
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm a NOOB in need of adoption!!!

with 87 friends already?
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    I am willing to take on a noob! As far as updates, I am useless...

You are in Oregon? I am a low maintenance noob and would love to have some local support even if is all through the interwebs. :) Adopt me!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just so everyone is clear, I am still *not* adopting any noobs (or veterans) at this time...

...so please, stop asking.

It's embarrassing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I don't know if I'm a noob or a non-noob...

You know how I know you are a noob....
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Adopt a noob? I am adopting EVERYONE!!!!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I didn't officially adopt one....because that would mean I would feel like I was responsible for how they are doing...instead...I friended a couple...some stayed some left...there is one or two that I see having their own motivation and want to learn and challenge themselves...it is kind of awesome!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I un-officially adopted one.
    She makes me so proud!
    She is derp-free!!!!
    proud%2B(6).jpg
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Mine stopped talking to me when I asked him what his BMR was and was a little skeptical when he told me it was 2400. Pretty sure he's stopped logging at this point.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I turned into Angelina jolie...adopted 12 or more. I accepted all ladies of a certain age. We ladies of a certain age travel in packs...

I think it is going well, but you would have to ask them. I. Think I lost one from my flock. I have had a number of questions, but not overwhelming amount. I have periodically sent out tips on how to get the most out of the site, how to find new friends, how to day positive. Whatever strikes me. I personally enjoy it and feel like I am making a difference. Thanks for asking!
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was adopted!! He helped me change my daily calorie goal and exercise plan and I feel amazing! Everyone can tell I'm on a much better track now and so so happy. We spoke A LOT the first week and I was instructed to stick with the plan and check-in in a couple weeks (I was not looking for someone to hold my hand everyday and have great pals who give me encouragement daily,) I can't wait to let him know my progress! I think I'm pretty knowledgable about all of this but it was hard to apply my advise to my own journey for some reason. It's awesome to know I have someone there if I have any questions or if something isn't working!
    Anyone looking to get adopted, I started by reading ALL of the posts from people willing to help.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My noob has lost 1lb. But mentally I have helped him through a lot of things. So it's going AWESOME.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'd love to adopt some Noobs =)

I too was adopted by SpeSHul_SnoflEHk / Kevin =)
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Well this noob is heading over to the adoption thread! What a freakin' cool idea.
    :drinker:
  • savvysabby01
    Options
    I was adopted by SpeSHul_SnoflEHk, and he's fantastic!
    He's incredibly patient, (bless him), funny, knowledgeable, and very encouraging. He's also the right amount of dirty!
    We're still working on getting my numbers figured out, since I'm one of the 'lucky' ones with Hashimoto's and a laundry list of other issues clogging up the wires, but he's right there with great advice and a chill pill when I'm frustrated.
    I am grateful he was willing to add me, and hope I don't make him live to regret it :P