Weight Training... female style.

Options
Hello!

So I'm completely new to weight training but I LOVE doing this over hours of cardio and from what I understand if I stay in my deficit I should be able to lose weight anyway and in building muscles my body will do the rest. SO what I'm looking for is some advice from people who are cutting (I hope I'm using this term right) and have gotten themselves down to 15% body fat area (I'm at about 25% right now)

I'm not looking to compete, but I want an leaner physic.

In the kitchen I'm consuming 1500 cals a day with 40/30/30, (40% protein roughly 130 grams or one gram per pound of my goal weight) and my BMR is1533... TDEE is 2268 (again I hope I'm using the right terms)

1. Am I eating enough to loss weigh but still build muscle?

My weight routine fluctuates but I do 8 exercises, 3 sets at 10 reps with 60 pauses between. Things like squats, dips, planks, etc. I'm bouncing between 5-10 pound weighs right now, which ever gets me to fatigue after 3 sets and I definitely feel it the next day. I do three days in the gym starting with ten quick minutes of cardio to get my heart rate up. I do three days at home with Jillian Micheal 30 day shred with one full day off a week.

So 2. Is there a better regimen I could do? Or is this a great start for my goals?

Thank you!

Replies

• jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great exercise routine.
  • gijimenez5
    Options
    I have also just started weight training. I do not want to build muscle but I do want to be toned. My nephew a trainer told me to do light weights but several repetitions. Once I don't feel the burn to bump it up. In one machine I started at 10 I can now left 40 and do 4 set of 15 reps. I do muscle one day and cardio the next.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In terms of programs, a full body program like NROL4W, Allpro, or SL5x5 would be great and more complete. All those programs are built around the big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, OHP, rows) You can add accessories like dips, pullups, planks, etc. to meet your goals and interests. In fact, I would definitely add pull ups. I currently do dips, calfs, curls, and dips as accessory work, plus some core work such as planks and leg raises.

If you are doing the TDEE approach (do not eat back your exercise calories) and your TDEE is that high, 1500 is a bit aggressive at your current weight. 1750-1800 would be better. That gives you TDEE-20%.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a group invite that I think you should take a look at. I really enjoy Stronglifts 5x5 and I think it is a great place to start!
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    In terms of programs, a full body program like NROL4W, Allpro, or SL5x5 would be great and more complete. All those programs are built around the big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, OHP, rows) You can add accessories like dips, pullups, planks, etc. to meet your goals and interests. In fact, I would definitely add pull ups. I currently do dips, calfs, curls, and dips as accessory work, plus some core work such as planks and leg raises.

If you are doing the TDEE approach (do not eat back your exercise calories) and your TDEE is that high, 1500 is a bit aggressive at your current weight. 1750-1800 would be better. That gives you TDEE-20%.

I believe that's the right term for daily calories used right? All of the terms get confusing. I have 8 hours at rest 15 hours light and one 1 hour moderate activity which was 735 calories expended above my BMR. But if I'm not eating enough I will increase my calories absolutely!!
  • nikkihk
    Options
    I just sent you a group invite that I think you should take a look at. I really enjoy Stronglifts 5x5 and I think it is a great place to start!

THANK YOU!!! Already joined!!
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    Of course!

That group is super duper nice so I suggest you try posting there as well. Feel free to friend me if you like!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have also just started weight training. I do not want to build muscle but I do want to be toned. My nephew a trainer told me to do light weights but several repetitions.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    I have also just started weight training. I do not want to build muscle but I do want to be toned. My nephew a trainer told me to do light weights but several repetitions.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

I think what you meant to say is that we generally do not subscribe to that train of thought.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    I have also just started weight training. I do not want to build muscle but I do want to be toned. My nephew a trainer told me to do light weights but several repetitions. Once I don't feel the burn to bump it up. In one machine I started at 10 I can now left 40 and do 4 set of 15 reps. I do muscle one day and cardio the next.

I'm confused by how that would do anything for you? I mean I'm not expert... but even in what little I know weights that don't challenge you make no sense. *shrug* You can't really bulk up like a body builder without supplements (again not an expert but that's what I've read).
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about. You can't build muscle in a deficit (at least not a significant amount and if you do it's tiny noob gains or because obese). For women, this is even more difficult to obtain, even skilled body builders have difficulty accomplishing...In a surplus.

I've been lifting heavy for 7 months and unless I flex, I have no real visible muscle (which I personally hate). So, do what you want but lifting heavy is the way to go ♡ I'm currently doing 5/3/1 routine but a program is definitely recommended. Frankensteining a program will be a waste.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I started Strong Curves a few weeks ago, weight training with an emphasis on the lower body, especially the booty. Love it, love it, love it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

I believe that's the right term for daily calories used right? All of the terms get confusing. I have 8 hours at rest 15 hours light and one 1 hour moderate activity which was 735 calories expended above my BMR. But if I'm not eating enough I will increase my calories absolutely!!
    Yep, Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It sounds like you used a TDEE calculator and manually put that as your goal in MFP, so you have it right.

Basically: TDEE = BMR + NEAT + Exercise. The MFP calorie goal is built around BMR + NEAT, which is why you are supposed to eat back you exercise calories in the MFP method, but not in the TDEE method.

BMR is your basal metabolic rate, what you burn just existing.
    NEAT is non-exercise activity thermogenesis, your normal daily activity.

TDEE calculators are just estimates, so you can adjust higher or lower if the results are not matching what you expect. In my case, I had to increase my calories slightly because I kept slightly losing at my maintenance calories.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The programs suggested are great. Focus on the big lifts - squats, deadlifts, bench press. If you're not strong enough to start with a barbell start with dumbbells until you can work up to lifting about 45lbs and then use the bar. Welcome to the wonderful world of lifting!! If you're already keeping up that diet you're spot on. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    your nephew is a dolt.

You have to work very hard to gain substantial muscle and even then you won't look like a body builder.

'Toning' in the fitness world means you have a lower body fat % and can see some definition. It's unfortunately one of the biggest most successful lies the fitness industry ever concocted and has been shoving down women's throats for years.

I've been lifting for years- and I"m actively bulking- and TRYING to gain muscle MASS... muscle SIZE... BULK. as it were.

I'm also trying to get stronger- but the size is part of that FOR ME.

That being said- you need to know there is a significant difference (esp as a newb lifter) between strength and size.

true muscle gain cannot be had at a deficit- you MUST be at a surplus.

true strength gain can be had at deficit.

lift all the things. starting strength- strong lifts- strong curves- new rules of lifting- all good places to start developing.

now- go forth- and be fabulous
  • nikkihk
    Options

Yep, Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It sounds like you used a TDEE calculator and manually put that as your goal in MFP, so you have it right.

Basically: TDEE = BMR + NEAT + Exercise. The MFP calorie goal is built around BMR + NEAT, which is why you are supposed to eat back you exercise calories in the MFP method, but not in the TDEE method.

BMR is your basal metabolic rate, what you burn just existing.
    NEAT is non-exercise activity thermogenesis, your normal daily activity.

TDEE calculators are just estimates, so you can adjust higher or lower if the results are not matching what you expect. In my case, I had to increase my calories slightly because I kept slightly losing at my maintenance calories.

Thank you!! I will monitor/tape measure the scale and see what works calorie wise...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also- and I'm adding this as a separate addendum rather than an edit because I think it's REALLY important to note...

Training is training- the WAY you train is dictated by your goals- not your gender. The male/female thing really will dictate the rate of muscle growth and how easily you will lose fat "be ripped" or whatever.

but the training- it's the same- there is no successful "female" lifting program vs successful "male" lifting program. it's just so irrelevant.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    The programs suggested are great. Focus on the big lifts - squats, deadlifts, bench press. If you're not strong enough to start with a barbell start with dumbbells until you can work up to lifting about 45lbs and then use the bar. Welcome to the wonderful world of lifting!! If you're already keeping up that diet you're spot on. :)

Thank you!! I will do just that!
  • nikkihk
    Options
    also- and I'm adding this as a separate addendum rather than an edit because I think it's REALLY important to note...

Training is training- the WAY you train is dictated by your goals- not your gender. The male/female thing really will dictate the rate of muscle growth and how easily you will lose fat "be ripped" or whatever.

but the training- it's the same- there is no successful "female" lifting program vs successful "male" lifting program. it's just so irrelevant.

That's good to know... I'm bombarded by a lot of information from outside sources and it gets confusing.. I'd rather just know that training is training.. done. Calorie in/ calorie out... done. No more this food is better then that or lifting this way is better for women then that. It's just stupid.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Also to be honest MFP doesn't have great logging for weight training (keeping track of what you do.) I suggest signing up at www.fitocracy.com (there's also a great app) It's so easy to use and track your weight progress. plus you get to "level up" and who doesn't love that. If you do sign up, look me up - I'm MEWooding.