Feeling discouraged-I'M GAINING WEIGHT! :(

Options
tgabmac
tgabmac Posts: 46 Member
So I just started working out and adopting healthy eating the 2nd of January. I weighed myself before I left for college. I have been working out with cardio and strength 4-5 days a week and staying withing 1400-1800 calories a day. More calories for work out days.I thought in the three weeks I have been away from home that I would at least lose 3 pounds.In fact it is the opposite. I GAINED 4 pounds since I left. I have not been weighing myself. I have measured and my measurements are going down. but I do not believe that I gained over 4 pounds of muscle and lost fat with that much of a gain. What is up. I am about to give up if this is my result for trying.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't even have gained muscle (or not very much anyway) as you are eating at a calorie deficit. Can't see your food diary so it's hard to say for sure but generally this is due to either water weight from working out (muscles retain water and glycogen as part of healing process) and possibly high sodium and your monthly cycle OR you're eating more than you realize due to guesstimates on food tracking or inconsistent food tracking.

Also, are you using the same scale and weighing around the same time of day, same clothes, etc? You said you weighed before leaving for college so I was thinking when you weighed again it might be on a different scale. And things like food/water in your system and different amounts of clothes can effect weigh ins as well (seems obvious but not everyone understands this).

Take confidence in the fact that your measurements are decreasing. Sometimes that's a much better way to measure progress than the scale.
  • tgabmac
    Options
    I did workout about 2 hours before I weighed in. It is the same scale because I am back at home. I didn't weigh myself at the gym because of the differences. It could be water retention. I do drink 5-6 pounds of water a day also. It's just difficult to see the measurements go down, but the weight not. I lost over 4.5 inches from my waist and hips.
  • Kmav1
    Kmav1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello,

I have experienced the same since I started my journey in November 13. I first noticed that my measurements were decreasing however my weight staggered up. I wanted to give up but I felt good despite the scale. I thought to give up my training but I just made adjustments to my workouts. I increased my cardio and stopped drinking juice. I put the scale away for a while and just focused on my fitness and eating habits. Well, let me tell you. I am glad that I did not just give up. I started seeing results and losing 1 pound a week. So this is to say, don't give up. Try tracking your meals and staying positive.

Take care!
  • tgabmac
    Options
    Hello,

I have experienced the same since I started my journey in November 13. I first noticed that my measurements were decreasing however my weight staggered up. I wanted to give up but I felt good despite the scale. I thought to give up my training but I just made adjustments to my workouts. I increased my cardio and stopped drinking juice. I put the scale away for a while and just focused on my fitness and eating habits. Well, let me tell you. I am glad that I did not just give up. I started seeing results and losing 1 pound a week. So this is to say, don't give up. Try tracking your meals and staying positive.

Take care!

Thank you! It's nice to hear that I am not the only one this has happened to. I see my body is responding and the scale is not, but it is changing. I will try to keep my head high.
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    generally this is due to either water weight from working out (muscles retain water and glycogen as part of healing process) and possibly high sodium and your monthly cycle OR you're eating more than you realize due to guesstimates on food tracking or inconsistent food tracking.

Take confidence in the fact that your measurements are decreasing. Sometimes that's a much better way to measure progress than the scale.

^^^Agreed. I had the same problem when I got serious last year. I posted 3-4 weeks of steady gain while I was doing 30 Day Shred. It was maddening because I was logging every calorie I ate and being careful not to overestimate my exercise calories. Looking back, it was definitely the muscle related water retention mentioned above. I just had to remind myself "do the work and the results will follow."

You're doing the work, and your measurements prove that the results are following! Keep at it, and you'll see changes on the scale soon, too.
  • moonlitheaven
    Options
    Don't give up! Don't get discouraged. You could be losing inches... keep it up. The results will catch up with you! :-)
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged. The numbers on the scale lie! You are getting smaller and that is really what this is about.
  • rizzah85
    rizzah85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the scales themselves are not a true indicator of your progress. A personal trainer once told me to throw them away - a better indicator is how your clothes are fitting, measurements and how you are feeling in general. My cousin recently started on an intensive weights program (no cardio) - she gained 5kg on the scales but lost 2 dress sizes.

You said your measurements have decreased which means it's working!

I know it's such a high to jump on the scales and see them go down, but don't be discouraged!
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm in the same boat. I started my journey on 1/10/2014 and have been doing everything right. I got on the scale this morning and it said I gained 3 lbs from when I first started. Just keep at it!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    You aren't the only one this happens to. Many people, including me, lose inches but no pounds. Keep in mind that you are the only one that knows what you weigh. You want to lose weight to get smaller, right? So if you're getting smaller then who cares what the scale says? Don't give up just because you're not getting the results in the way that you expected to get them. I know it's hard because we tend to focus on the scale. Learn to use the measuring tape, keep working hard, and you'll get to the size and shape you want to be.
  • tgabmac
    Options
    Thanks everyone!