New here....

Options
I have tried to search this to get an answer but can't find anything. Do I get "calorie credit" for strength training? So far I've only seen that I get extra calories for cardio....is that correct?

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You do. However, I believe the reason MFP doesn't assign values to strength training exercises is because the calorie burn varies so greatly from person to person based on personal stats, the amount of weight used during the exercise, the time between sets, and the amount of effort you put in.

Many people also log all of their exercises, including strength training, under the cardio option, so you may try logging it that way.
  • DrFeelG00D
    DrFeelG00D Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is also the option to not log your exercise within MFP. The number for calories burned can be drastically inaccurate due to many factors including your personal fitness level, body, and training program / intensity.

My advice would be to set a calorie intake, track everything you eat for an entire week (7 days), due your weekly training program, and weigh yourself after 7 days. After you see the results of your weigh-in, adjust your calorie intake up or down ~100-200 calories. Shoot for 1-2 pounds a week in fat loss / weight gain. If your losing more that 1-2 pounds a week and you feel hungry, tired, or weak, add 100 calories a week until you find a groove.

Do this for 4-6 weeks are you'll get a good idea of what works for your body / training style. Hope this helps!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    under the cardio section there is an option for "weight lifting". As said above though it can vary a whole lot based on how heavy you lift and what exercises you are doing and your own size. Probably the best way to estimate you calories burned for weight lifting it to get a HR monitor and use that and then just set your exercise time to whatever calories match your readout.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    On strength training days I try to eat more protein and stick to my calorie goals. If I do go over a little, maybe 100 cals then I don't sweat it.