TDEE vs MFP projections - which do I follow?

Options
Hey guys - starting my weight loss journey and I'm a total noob. Do you guys follow what MFP suggests for calorie intake or do you go by TDEE? I'm also not sure I completely understand TDEE...someone explain this to me. I need some suggestions!!

Also, I need more friends so I can get more motivation! Looking to lose 75+lbs!

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I go with MFP's recommendations, and it's worked so far. I'd suggest doing MFP first just because it's easier. However, as I lose more weight I imagine I'll switch to TDEE eventually. It seems to be easiest if you exercise frequently, as it includes your exercise calories and spreads them over your week. Since I don't currently exercise a ton or consistently (That's my New Year's resolution!), MFP's calculations are fine for me.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I go with MFP. If I were completely consistent with exercise I'd do TDEE but I'm not. So I stick to 1,500 calories and track my workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it right and comparing apples to apples weight loss goals, they are basically 6 of 1...just two different methods of arriving at the same destination.

MFP = NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...what this means is that your activity level is just your NEAT...your day to day bull****...getting up, going to work, cooking, cleaning, etc. It does not include any exercise activity. You have to account for exercise somewhere so MFP does it after the fact when you log it, and then you get those exercise calories to eat back.

Pros: Great for people who are new to fitness and or otherwise are inconsistent in their fitness regimen. If they happen to workout, great...they get more calories and still lose weight...if they don't exercise, then they just eat to that un-adjusted calorie goal and bingo...they'll still lose weight.

Cons: It is very difficult to estimate calorie burn. Data bases are notoriously inaccurate and tend to hyper-inflate your calorie burn. It doesn't help that people select descriptors like "vigorous" for whatever it is that they are doing. Most of these calculators and databases will assume "vigorous" to mean a vigorous effort by an otherwise fit (pretty much an athlete) individual. So while Michael Phelps may burn a gazillion calories swimming with vigorous effort...but your version of "vigorous" is not going to be quite up to par.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Your TDEE is essentially the amount of energy (calories) your body requires per day to maintain your weight. This number is inclusive of all activity, including your day to day stuff AND exercise activity. This is one of the reasons you get a higher calorie intake with TDEE...it is assuming some estimate of your exercise burn up front in the equation...it is included in your activity level where that is not the case with MFP. Keep in mind that with TDEE, you're really looking at things over a week or so rather than the minutia of day to day...because your exercise will vary but your calorie goal will be static you will have days where you are in a bigger deficit and days in a smaller deficit. If you're maintaining you will have days where you are likely in a surplus and days when you are in a deficit depending on the actual activity that day...but it should net out at the end of the week provided all of your settings are correct and you are accurate with your intake.

Pros: One consistent calorie target. You don't have to try to guestimate your calorie burn down to the calorie...it's just estimated by the average number of hours you work out in a week and to what intensity.

Cons: Can be difficult for people who are not familiar with fitness and/or who are not consistent in their fitness. If they falter on their fitness, the equation becomes null and void...but many people forget to drop the calories when they drop the activity.

Like I said, they're basically 6 of 1...here's what my numbers look like with each.

MFP calorie goal to lose 1 Lb per week (NO EXERCISE) = 1,850 calories. Average calorie burn = 400 calories...average gross calories consumed = 1,850 + 400 = 2,250.

TDEE with 3-5 hours moderate exercise per week = 2,850 calories. 20% cut to lose 1 Lb per week = 2,850 * .80 = 2,280 calories.

As you can see, with MFP I gross roughly 2,250 calories...with TDEE it is 2,280 calories...a difference of an inconsequential 30 calories.
  • shastasequoia
    Options
    I first started off going by MFP but I always felt hungry at 1200 calorie but I switched to TDEE as I saw more recommendations to use that so I switched. I never feel like I am starving but I just don't add my exercise calories to the pool.