How many calories you need, and how much you should weigh.

Options
I am hoping that this will help with so much of the confusion when it comes to calories in and body weight. First off, EVERY BODY is individual and different - one person who is 5'5" can weigh 150 and be fit, and for another that's overweight. Here is what I have learned to do to as accurately as I can to calculate HOW MUCH I SHOULD WEIGH and HOW MANY CALORIES I SHOULD EAT. I hope this helps someone! Since I figured all of this out (about a month ago - wish I knew this a year ago!) I have lost 2" off my waist and 1.5" off my thighs! I eat my BMR + sedentary calculation on non-workout days and I eat my BMR+workout calorie allotment on workout days.

>>

Before you can know either of these things, you need to find out what you lean body mass is.(a fat analysis) -- this is necessary to accurately knowing your own body. So, go get an accurate fat analysis done - the most accurate you have access to and can afford. Preferably a bod pod or hydrostatic weighing (+/- 2%) If you can't do either of these then you can do it via skin fold test with calipers (+/- error of 3.5%) which they do at most gyms.

If all else fails you can do girth measurements yourself at home (+/- 4%) so you at least have some idea. (here is an online one - it was off on my LBM by 5lbs FYI - http://www.had2know.com/health/lean-body-mass-female.html) If you want to do it yourself, which was more accurate than the online version, here is how:

measure the following:

Neck: Across the Adams Apple
Chest: Around upper lats, below armpits just above nipple level
Bicep: Measure each arm individually with the arm extended with palm facing forward. Measure at maximal circumference
Waist: Measure the narrowest point of the waist, just below the last rib above the hipbones
Abdomen: This measurement can be usedin place of the waist measurement if noapparent waist is visible. Measure at the
umbilicus level.
Hip: Place feet together in a neutral stance and measure above the gluteal fold, at the widest portion of the gluteals
Thigh: Measure each thigh individually at the maximal circumference, legs slightly apart
Calf: Measure each calf individually at the maximal circumference between the knee and ankle joint
WOMEN also need to measure the forearm at fullest point and the wrist at the smallest point.

Then do math:

Male:
(weight in lbs. X 1.082) – (waist circumference in inches X 4.15) + 94.42= Lean Body Mass (LBM)
Example: (162 lbs X 1.082) – (31in. X 4.15) +94.42= 141lbs (LBM)

Female:
(weight X 0.732) - (waist circumference x 0.157) - (hip circumference x 0.249) + (forearm circumference x 0.434) + (wrist circumference ÷ 3.14) + 8.987= LBM
Example: (130lbs X 0.732) - (29in. x 0.157) - (35in. x 0.249) + (9in. x 0.434) + (6in. ÷ 3.14) + 8.987= 88lbs (LBM)
After finding the Lean Body Mass use the non-gender specific equation to determine their body fat percentage.

[(Weight in lbs. – Lean Body Mass) X 100] ÷ Weight in lbs = Body Fat %

_________________________________________________>>

OK - so now that you know your approximate LBM...So - HOW MUCH SHOULD YOU REALLY WEIGH? -- (I don't think my skeleton is a size 2. lol)

Determine the pounds of the body weight that are fat (FW) by multiplying your body weight by the current percent fat (%F) expressed in decimal form (FW = BW X %F)
• Determine lean body mass (LBM) by subtracting the weight from the total body weight (LBM = BW-FW). Remember that anything that is not fat must be part of the lean body mass
• Select a desired body fat percentage (DFP) based on the health or high fitness standards (see chart below)
• Compute recommended body weight (RBW) according to the formula: RBW = LBM ÷ (1.0-DFP)

As an example of these computations: Consider a 19-year-old female who weighs 160 pounds, and is 30 percent fat, would like to know what her recommended body weight would be at 22 percent:
Sex: Female BW: 160 lbs. Age: 19 %F: 30% (.30 in decimal form)

1. FW = BW x %F 2. LBM = BW – FW
FW = 160 x .30 = 48 lbs. LBM = 160 – 48 = 112 lbs.
2. DFP: 22% (.22 in decimal form) 4. RBW = LBM ÷ (1.0 – DFP)
RBW = 112 ÷ (1.0 - .22)
Recommend Body Weight (RBW) = 112 ÷ .78 = 143.6 lbs.

BODY FAT CLASSIFICATION CHART (so you don't have to google)

Percent Body Fat Classification Percent Body Fat (%)
Women 20-39 years 40-59 years 60-79 years

Essential 8-12 8-12 8-12
Low/Athletic 13-20 13-22 13-23
Recommended 21-32 23-33 24-35
Over fat 33-38 34-39 36-41
Obese ≥39 ≥40 ≥42

Percent Body Fat (%) Men 20-39 years 40-59 years 60-79 years

Essential 3-5 3-5 3-5
Low/Athletic 6-7 6-10 6-12
Recommended 8-19 11-21 13-24
Over fat 20-24 22-27 25-29
Obese ≥25 ≥28 ≥30

Now that you know how much you should weigh, HOW MANY CALORIES SHOULD I EAT? This is based on your LBM and not your current fat weight or on your goal weight.

When you know your LBM, use this formula to calculate your daily calories needs:

(This is the Katch & McArdle Method which my trainer said is more accurate)

BMR (Men + Women) = 370 + (21.6 * Lean Mass in kg)

Lean Mass = weight in kg – (weight in kg * body fat %)
1 kg = 2.2 pounds, so divide your weight by 2.2 to get your weight in kg

Activity Multiplier (Both HB + KA Method use same activity multiplier)

Little or No Exercise, Desk Job 1.2 x BMR
Light Exercise, Sports 1 to 3 Times Per Week 1.375 x BMR
Moderate Exercise, Sports 3 to 5 Times Per Week 1.55 x BMR
Heavy Exercise, Sports 6 to 7 Times Per Week 1.725 x BM

As far as nutrition % of macros goes, that depends on your goals and on your body - some needs more carbs, some need more protein. ALL need healthy fats! It doesn't have to be complicated! As a rule, eat clean - cut out processed foods and refined sugars. You will see results.

I'm not a scientist -- this is what I have learned from classes I have taken and from my trainer who knows his stuff. HTH!

Replies

• somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read thoroughly later
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Too hard. I'll just go by what I see in the mirror and adjust calories by trial and error.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Okay, what do I do now?
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    it's not hard lol. It just seems like it - but it's not. Believe me - I HATE MATH! lol

^^ Scott that's where you have to do some work haha. Exercise and eat healthy within your calorie limit.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
  • Carmenbraun55
    Carmenbraun55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    it's not hard lol. It just seems like it - but it's not. Believe me - I HATE MATH! lol

^^ Scott that's where you have to do some work haha. Exercise and eat healthy within your calorie limit.

Alright then, on my way now *insertwinkhere*
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see the math behind it. But this website does it all for you....

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

if you don't want to spend 45 minutes calculating your calories. But if you wanna do it by hand then go for it! :tongue:
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see the math behind it. But this website does it all for you....

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

if you don't want to spend 45 minutes calculating your calories. But if you wanna do it by hand then go for it! :tongue:

That's an awesome calculator - haven't seen that one - thank you! I would still base it on my LBM rather than base it on my BMI since that doesn't take LBM into consideration - very helpful! Thanks! :happy: