Checking in!

Options
Hi everyone! I've been using MFP for a grand total of two weeks now. I'm 5'10" and started at 100 kg -- like many Brits of my age, heights aren't metric but weights are!

Anyway, I'm in my early 40s with a wife and young kids, and a few health problems from friends only a bit older than me have made me think that I could do with losing 25 kilos or so. I've tried before, but just by making up my own plans (exercise more, eat less) with no proper tracking. Needless to say these lasted a couple of months at best before I got disillusioned.

I'm trying to exercise just a little every day with a longer burst at weekends (on a home treadmill), and am definitely eating back those calories; don't want to lose too quickly (slightly alarmed by the drop in the first two weeks, but I think it was mostly water and things are settling down now)! But I have already found MFP to be a great resource. Weight went up one day? Ah, high sodium level in Mexican food = water retention. Drink loads of water, two days later back to normal. What gets me is the supportive nature of the community on the boards.

I'm trying to convince myself to weigh only twice a week, instead of daily, but I like the confidence that hard numbers give...

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I have a soft spot for good Mexican food too. Just cant get enough of the stuff lol!! Its important to keep moving everyday. It makes it easier to keep going. I try to weigh myself once a week but usually find myself on the scale a couple of times throughout the week. I hate focusing too much on the numbers and instead try to focus on how I feel and how my clothes fit. I think you are off to a great start so good luck and hope to see you around
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I'm afraid that my wife and I have a bit of a ritual of chicken fajitas and Mexican beer once a week -- the great thing about the IIFYM approach is that if I plan ahead, it can all fit into the plan! Speaking of which, Indian food tonight with friends... so I'm about to hit the treadmill for a longer session than normal, in advance. I wonder how long I can keep this up?