PT/Rehab and Weight Loss (and a peeve with my gym)

Options
Hello!

I broke my leg over the summer and am just now able to get back into the gym and work out. PT is a waste of money, my Dr. just wants me to either swim 4-5 hours a week or use a stationary recumbent bike for about the same. Cyclical, low/no impact. Elliptical is also okay. No running yet. Weights are advised, as long as I don't overwork the knee, I'm good. I'm getting my flexibility back, but the pressure on the cartilage is what starts to hurt (leg press, etc--I can do light weights only)

I want to work out and build my core strength, but my gym is one of those that pressures you into getting a trainer. It's a Workout Anytime, which has super cheap monthly fees, but they want to make you spend $140-300/mth on trainers and another $50 on tanning...NO THANKS.

The dude said he'd "check back with me in a couple of weeks to see which package I wanted." --Frankly, none. I'm not a gym virgin (told him that twice), but I always took classes or used the machines, I took weight training in school, I dance, I run -- I'm pretty good at handling myself in terms of exercise. The one area I'm not all that familiar in is the best way to do the circuit in the gym. Should I work on abs and arms one day, abs and legs another day, abs and back the next day, etc?

I also got peeved with him that I told him that I don't want to get a trainer that will push me too hard after my injury, when I'm on a pretty set Dr.-specified exercise regime. I can't lift heavy eights yet, so why can't I just do it on my own until I need help getting over a hurdle or plateau or moving up to the next level?

That's my rant. Any advice on the frequency and mixture of circuit machines? It's been a while in that department and I don't want this guy chasing after me saying I need a trainer, when I really don't.

TH

Replies

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says that circuit machines are a waste of time...

Have you ever looked at the book Starting Strength?