Restaurant Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Another of mine is when you have a group of 25 and they want 23 seperate checks, but they all show up at different times and order stuff at different times, and they switch seats during dinner.

I can see how that can be *VERY* confusing a *FRUSTRATING*, but that is a server's job. I feel servers can help at least somewhat if they ask the party if they are all going to be on one check and not depending on the customers to tell you. Switching seats to me would be pretty confusing, but people can do what they want, it's their tip money.

The problem I've seen with this is the POS does not see that table as a large group and does not add in the auto gratuity. However the guests see printed on the menu that a large group is charged an auto gratuity, and do not leave a tip.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    great idea!!
    #1 has to be screaming children...I mean not a crying child who is just cranking or hungry. I mean the little brat throwing a fit and screaming at his parents while they pretend not to notice...ok so the parents too!!

Absolute worst. If your brat won't behave, TAKE IT HOME SO OTHERS CAN DINE IN PEACE AND QUIET!!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Loud cell phone patrons. Unless you're a doctor, put it on vibrate.

I'm a Nurse Manager and on call 24hrs a day, please can I keep mine on???:huh:

they should both be on vibrate. why should either of the categories get a pass? does your profession disable your ability to feel or notice the vibration?
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Im a mom of 3 who hasnt eaten out anywhere that doesnt have a buffet in years, I say young children. When I do get to go out to a decent restaurant again, I dont want your spawn screaming in my ear or kicking the back of my seat.

You can wait a few years until your child understands proper dining ettitquette. If you are about to tell me how well behaved your 1or 2 year old is then YOU are the ones I am talking to.
  • mikeroybal
    Options
    The chef who is running the line quite often tells the food runners where to go and what to take, and they do not ever see the ticket.

They can *ASK* for a ticket, DUHH! I would *ASK* for the ticket if I were a food runner. NO WAY would I want to get *****ed out from a customer. I also would *CARE* about what I was bringing out. I would compare the ticket to the food for any obvious errors.

So you feel the person that is delivering your food shouldn't have a *CARE* in the world about what they are bringing you? WTH kind of service is that?
    the chef is running the line and checking food against the ticket. If I had to check the food for every table, organize the delivery of the food then wait while the food runner/runners double checked my work it would take forever for food to come out the kitchen.
  • Springs131
    Springs131 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Absolute worst. If your brat won't behave, TAKE IT HOME SO OTHERS CAN DINE IN PEACE AND QUIET!!

I totally agree here. I remember my mom at times didn't bring me to church because I was misbehaving, wanting to wander. Usually parents take their kids outside in church when they are crying, screaming, why can't they at a restaurant?
  • Springs131
    Options
    the chef is running the line and checking food against the ticket. If I had to check the food for every table, organize the delivery of the food then wait while the food runner/runners double checked my work it would take forever for food to come out the kitchen.

Usually that's the EXPEDITOR, not the chef. As far as that, it takes FOREVER because they keep having to go back to the kitchen for missing stuff, wrongly prepared food that's obvious so I send it back, etc.

Look at this former waiter, read and weep:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=249745&p=7915572&highlight=springs1#post7915572

Demosthenes9 said: "Absolutely right. As a waiter, it was ultimately my responsibility to ensure that EVERYTHING was correct with your food. Cooks would plate up entrees and the expediter would "build tickets" by collecting the correct entrees, adding the side items, and placing the plates on a tray to complete the order. (at least that's how it worked just about everywhere I have been).

At that point, the waiter SHOULD check each plate to see that the order is correct to include having the correct side items. Waiter should also make sure that the food is still hot and didn't "die in the window" while waiting for the order to be filled.

Lastly, a waiter who actually knows what he is doing can simply look at your steak and tell with some accuracy whether it is cooked correctly or not. (There are of course exceptions where steaks are "borderline", like right between medium rare and medium, or between medium and mid well.)

I have had any number of cooks yell at me because I told them to recook a steak before I even took it to the table. It doesn't take a genius to see a somewhat burnt steak sitting on a plate and to figure out that it ISN'T medium rare as ordered.)

The funny thing is, if waiters took the time to pay attention to the little details like the one's Spring mentioned, they would actually have MORE time on their hands to take care of customers.

Afterall, it takes maybe 30 seconds to check over an order and make sure it's correct. Failure to do so means that you now have to go all the way back to the kitchen, argue with a cook, get a replacement side item, then carry it back out to the table.

That time could have been better spent taking care of other tables instead."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This waiter doesn't agree with you. How about that one for ya LAZY and uncaring server? So the person that is running the food should not care? What kind of service is that I will ask again? So I should have to check YOU OVER? WHY should I give you a good tip for doing **YOUR JOB FOR YOU***?

What's the point of doing something if you don't (*KNOW*) WHAT YOU ARE DOING? WHY DO IT THEN, HUH? Don't you think that sounds a bit stupid?
  • mikeroybal
    Options
    Every restaurant I worked at the Chef was the expeditor. The chef has designed and made all the dishes and knows better than anybody in the kitchen restaurant how it should be prepared. If a ticket comes in for braised short ribs cooked medium rare as a modifier it is the chefs job to get the server and tell them the request cannot be fulfilled
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wow please stay home and cook if you can't tip properly. :noway:

This person would be paying a 17% tip if they left $4. That's not a horrible tip. You obviously would rather have zero and for that, I would make sure I would stiff you for being so UNGRATEFUL AND ENTITLED! That's the problem today, servers think that they should make more than someone that has a degree. Yes it's a very hard job, but I don't get the being unappreciative of $4 on an only $22.50 check. I would leave $5 if it was good, but not great which is 22%. 17% is still acceptable. Think about that you aren't doing as much for a $22.50 check in most cases. Now in my case, you would, because I order modified orders, so that's why I tend to tip $7 for a check like $24 if I had really wonderful service. It would depend on how much I make my server work and how the service is. Did I make them jump through hoops per say or did they have it easy just ordering one drink no refill and a pasta dish for example. How much you get paid should be based on how much work you provided and how the service was. Being nice is the key to getting more money. I don't understand the not saying sorry for mistakes that I seem to get no matter how nice I am to them, it's like WOW, mean people, then they want a good tip, WTH?? I mean if you want a good tip, you need to be nice. A simply "sorry about that" let's say if you forgot something I asked for like my refill. That goes a LONG WAY.

I think it's sad you don't appreciate any money. I used to work at a donut shop/diner back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth, which we served similar to like a dunkin donuts sort of that they have all kinds of foods like burgers, sandwiches, biscuits, etc. I was counter help made min. wage plus tips. When someone left me a quarter or sometimes even less, I appreciated that they left me SOMETHING. Money is money. I don't get your attitude? I would rather have $4 than have nothing. I guess you'd rather have nothing. That's sad, it really is. Why do you act so entitled to the big bucks? I mean I can see being pissed of if you went all out did everything perfectly, even them saying it was good service, then them leave you $4, THEN yes I would be pissed *SOME*, but I would be grateful they didn't leave me just $2 or nothing. Look at it from the bright side they left me SOMETHING, much more than just a dollar or two. I really don't get your attitude?

tumblr_mqdn4wNNq21sodxjco1_400.gif
  • Springs131
    Options

You still didn't say why you have such an ENTITLED attitude?
  • randomtai
    Options

You still didn't say why you have such an ENTITLED attitude?

Because of people like you. :flowerforyou:
  • mikeroybal
    Options
    I worked and ran restaurants in the Napa Valley, never at a chain restaurant. The chef is responsible for all the food that comes out he/she is only as good as the last plate the goes out. The chef needs to know each dish inside and out. If the chef is taking cues and has dishes designed by corporate headquarters then he/she needs to know what it is and how its made, every thing that is in it and answer any and all questions about it. There is a huge difference between a Chef and a cook.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think if I were a server and Springs were in my section, I might slip a Xanax into his or her entree.

Settle down, bub. People are simply venting.
  • Springs131
    Options
    Because of people like you. :flowerforyou:

People like me tip 30% and upwards at times for wonderful service. So you have NO CLUE of WTH you are talking about.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I think if I were a server and Springs were in my section, I might slip a Xanax into his or her entree.

Hahaha this! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Springs131
    Options

That's because you are lazy and uncaring.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The chef who is running the line quite often tells the food runners where to go and what to take, and they do not ever see the ticket.

They can *ASK* for a ticket, DUHH! I would *ASK* for the ticket if I were a food runner. NO WAY would I want to get *****ed out from a customer. I also would *CARE* about what I was bringing out. I would compare the ticket to the food for any obvious errors.

So you feel the person that is delivering your food shouldn't have a *CARE* in the world about what they are bringing you? WTH kind of service is that?
    From reading all your posts, you are just a freakin' ray of sunshine aren't ya?
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    By the way, speaking as someone who actually did the job for years, its not ALWAYS the servers fault, sometimes the food runner doesnt check the ticket and takes the food out before I even had a chance to look it over. Most properly functioning restaurants have an expo and someone who runs food, or the servers run food for each other.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That's because you are lazy and uncaring.
    Take a step back and read your insane ranting and think about it. I don't think I've ever come across anyone in my life who so desperately needs a chill pill.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    As a former server I absolutely hated serving a table that wanted alter/add/remove tons of things from their meals. I get asking to not have a tomato on a burger, or dressing on the side but if your dietary requirements are SO EXTREME that you're trying to substitute beer-battered fish for chicken, and chips for veggies, don't order fish and chips. If you are Celiac maybe don't come to a place where beer is literally in every dish they make.

If you can't have 6 of the 9 ingredients in a dish, go somewhere that can meet your needs. Most restaurants would rather take the 3 min on the phone to talk to a customer about their food preferences and tell you this place may not be for you, than have you show up, make demands to alter every plate, potentially get sick or just stupidly angry that YOUR way of eating wasn't the number one thing going through the chef's mind when the menu was put together.

END RANT