Good tasting, low calorie hot chocolate?

Options
When the evenings are cooler, which they have started to be here...I like to have a cup of hot chocolate. Yesterday I bought Swiss Miss Diet which is 25 calories. I had it last night and it has a funny/weird after taste...so I don't like it. :ohwell: Anyone tried any good tasting ones for about the same calories? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    bumping to see the responses because with fall coming, you know winter is next and I love hot cocoa, but the packs I use are around 100 cal....so thanks for posting
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have had trouble finding one as well...I love to have a mug every once in a while in the winter.
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    I have a Keurig, so I use the Cafe Escapes Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-cups.. 70 cals and super yummy
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What part of the country are you in, Maureen? I drink our supermarket brand and I love it! I buy the fat free version, with only 25 calories. It's Kroger, which I think may only be out west. I don't like Swiss Miss, either.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Trish, I am in the northeast....no Kroger...darn it! :laugh:
  • Luber905
    Options
    1 tbsp dry cocoa powder (12 cal.), stir up with 1 tsp white sugar (15 cal). Drizzle in hot water and stir until it makes a paste. Then fill the mug with hot water and stir like crazy to mix it well. No added crap, preservatives etc. and it tastes great! Of course, it's even more awesome with hot milk, but that takes it up to 110 calories or so.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp dry cocoa powder (12 cal.), stir up with 1 tsp white sugar (15 cal). Drizzle in hot water and stir until it makes a paste. Then fill the mug with hot water and stir like crazy to mix it well. No added crap, preservatives etc. and it tastes great! Of course, it's even more awesome with hot milk, but that takes it up to 110 calories or so.

Hersheys cocoa powder makes very good hot chocolate. You may want to add some form of sweetner since it us unsweetened. I also mix a tiny bit in my oatmeal at times or with some yogurt. Very low cal treat that comes in handy.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to go "old school." I take a cup of skim milk, put a 1/2 - 1 TBSP of cocoa powder in it, and some artificial sweetener. You can do it in the microwave, but it gets smoother if you do it on the stove. Tastes better than any instant.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i use the green mtn keurig cups which are really good. i also like a generic brand called dutch cocoa, i believe. i think i got it at fred meyers. also, if you have extra calories the swiss miss with marshmellows is really good. it comes with just a packet of tiny marshmellows and the mix....so yummy!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Yep, that's how I make mine. I use dry cocoa powder (and Hershey's even makes a dark cocoa powder!), and for me 1 packet of Stevia instead of sugar. I use skim milk or unsweetened almond milk same as listed above (make a paste by adding a little at a time) and then microwave for a minute. Stir and then microwave another 45 seconds or so. If you really want to be decadent, add a Dove Dark chocolate promise and melt. :bigsmile: Sprinkle w/ cinnamon and nutmeg. I never buy instant hot cocoa packets!
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What part of the country are you in, Maureen? I drink our supermarket brand and I love it! I buy the fat free version, with only 25 calories. It's Kroger, which I think may only be out west. I don't like Swiss Miss, either.

There are Krogers in the south too, in Alabama and Georgia. Swiss miss is sweet and creamy. Sometimes TOO sweet!
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You could just make your own hot chocolate with skim milk and pure cocoa and very little sugar, or take less sugar every time. That would be a dark chocoate. I make it that way for my daughrter with my espresso machine (with the little milk foamer that's part of the machine) and she loves it. A friend of mine makes it with way completely without sugar and she says she loves it and adding sugar is only a habit. You could also try adding stevia instead of sugar (haven't tried it myself)

EDIT: oh sorry, didn't read all posts, now I see there already have been similar suggestions.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the cocoa and sugar with water/milk. I always thought it would take too long. My fav right now is Carnation light. 3Tbsp of the mix is 40 cal and I only need to use 2 to get a decent chocolatey taste. Depending on the day and my leftover cals, I usually use just water but have been known to use cream or milk to up the creamy factor.
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    I like Cadbury's Highlights Dark Chocolate, put a dash of milk in to make it more creamy.

It's 35kcals per cup without the milk.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! :smile:
  • georginamiley123
    Options
    you should use options Belgium hot chocolate- its delicious and only 39 calories per packet. im addicted to hot chocolate but i don't really like it with water, I like using milk instead but this means theres much more calories so now i use a quarter of the mug with milk and the rest with water. Im going to give that cocoa powder a try i have some down stairs but it doesnt look to nice to drinklol!
  • morbidbones
    morbidbones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you want to make it with milk (because we all know water isn't as nice!) you could try having it with alpro light soya milk at 22cal/100ml ... It's not the same as normal milk on its own but I have it with hot choc and cereal and it reduces the calories a lot! :) (its also just as nutritious as normal milk!)