WATCH OUT FOR FRIENDS LIKE THIS!

Options
2»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    when she said "I do, but I don't feel tired afterwards" - the reply is: "if you don't feel tired after lifting weights then the weights are not heavy enough."

I don't think she's jealous or trying to sabotage your weight loss, it seems more like she feels a bit threatened by the fact that you're doing your own thing rather than doing what she wants you to do. There could be all number of reasons for this and she seems to have a strange idea about friendship, i.e. that friends have to do the same as each other, and/or that she has to tell all her friends what to do or something. Sounds like she's trying to "persuade" you to do all the same things as her either way, and to not do things that she doesn't want to do.

As long as these kinds of behaviours are fairly mild, I'd just ignore it and carry on doing your own thing and if she doesn't like it then she can either learn to deal with it, or find someone else to work out with. If the behaviours get worse, as in she starts acting like a spoiled child because you're not doing things the way she wants you to do them, then you need to find someone else to work out with.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor, (don't laugh, I do weights too! lol) so I'm friends with a lot of folks at my gym. Most of the women think I'm crazy for lifting weights. The men who do zumba with us, (mostly older guys) typically hit the treadmill beforehand, and maybe do a few machines. I think people just don't "get it." I've had a few women tell me I look "manly" lifting weights. Meanwhile, most of the people giving me crazy looks have not improved much on their weightloss. They're really starting to see the improvements I'm making now. Hopefully, if I can get this BF% down more, they'll be wanting in on it too. I've tried telling them what muscle can do for them, but no matter how much I tell them otherwise, they still think lifting will make them "bulky." Uggghhhh.... oh well. More weights for me. :happy:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Perhaps help her see the benefit of your program.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT&End.html

Wayne Westcott, Ph.D. conducted a study in which 72 over weight individuals participated in an eight week exercise program. The participants were placed in two groups. The first group performed 30 minutes of endurance exercise on a stationary cycle. The second group performed only 15 minutes of exercise on the stationary cycle plus an additional 15 minutes on weight resistant exercises. At the conclusion of the study, the "endurance only" group lost a total of 3.5 lbs.; 3 lbs. of which was fat and a half pound was muscle loss. On the other hand, the "endurance and weight resistive" group lost 8 lbs. with an actual fat loss of 10 lbs. and an increase of 2 lbs. of lean body weight.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a gym buddy and friend I could go out on walks with and whatever.

Most of my female friends live in a different state nowadays, and I'm stuck on my own.
  • cpedigo3
    cpedigo3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I interact with a group of girls who are all over 200 every week. They are always making comments about my weight. A year ago before a surgery I was 15 lb lighter. They would say that certain clients only wanted skinny ****** helping them and that real men liked meaty women. They would also tell me to gain weight and tell their clients not to come to me. After being there for two years, My work speaks for itself, my clientele is growing daily and though every month one of them claims to be dieting and have lost a significant amount of weight, it never shows. The real issue is that misery loves company. If someone isn't trying at all and sees you trying it makes them feel guilty. Don't feel guilty for being fit! Be Proud and ditch the friend. I agree, she is trying to sabotage you because I've seen this type of behavior before! I'm starting back up now and this summer won't be hiding the chicken wings or sucking in my gut to look good. Be proud of what you are doing for your body!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Dear OP:

Congrats on making NEW friends and ditching that other one who was certainly trying to sabotage you and was jealous of you.

You did the right thing--- continured success.

It seems a few earlier responders missed reading where you stopped going to the gym with the "bossy" interfering friend!

"Ive now found new gym buddies who are pushing me forward on the weights and I feel great. As for my old friend.... still big and oblivious"
  • sbk204
    sbk204 Posts: 16
    Options
    Just do what YOU want to do. You are in control of yourself. This is YOUR journey, honey, and we are all here to help you.
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    She's crafty & she's just my type.

Hahaha! Love it.
  • enoyeblikk
    Options
    Don't let this ruin a perfectly fine friendship, some friends just aren't good work out buddies! Also, if she's open to it, maybe you should explain to her that building muscle can actually aid weight loss!

-EnOyeblikk