Potasium Supplements on New Direction/Optifast?

Options
I'm in the New Direction program which is simular to Optifast from what I understand. Many of the people in my class are having issues with having Charlie horse cramps. I haven't yet but I am concerned that low potassium levels could cause this to happen. I am curently taking a multivitamin twice a day but the potassium in it is less than 1%. Should I take an additional supplement for 3%more or should I get my blood tested first?

Replies

• yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should be addressing this, I'm surprised they aren't. My doctor has patient's take Slow Mag daily if we have charlie
    horses. Don't you guys see a doctor every week? Also we're told not to take a vitamin because the meal supplements have vitamins and minerals in them.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I wasn't very clear but you don't need potassium you need a magnesium supplement.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Don't take a potassium supplement without your doctor telling you to. If you do think you have low potassium, definitely get your blood tested.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Potassium is one of those you should NOT take in supplement form unless directed by a doctor. It can cause problems. Please don't self-supplement potassium other than your meal plan and what a doctor tells you.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    bananas are good for potassium
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do you know what has 8 times the potassium found in most common K supplements?
    One glass (250 ml) of V8. Or just eat a banana, a potato, a piece of meat or drink coconut water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    do not take potassium supplements without consulting your doctor.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I agree with bananas. I suffer from Charlie horses if I don't have my daily banana even after nailing my potassium number. Every time I don't eat my banana, I wake up early the next morning with painful cramped calves.
  • ahritter79
    ahritter79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started New Direction products through the local hospital on Wednesday. They also advised us not to take additional vitamins, but after feeling pretty dehydrated and faint on the second day (even with the 100oz water, not including the water in shakes) I added a Nuun tablet to my water and it helped greatly. I've been usuing Nuun tablets for years - they are sugar-free electrolyte tablets. (way better than Gatorade!) But as all the other posters said - I advise talking with the doctors/clinicians prior to trying any extra supplements.