What to make with smoked sausage?

Options
blinker86
blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
So, I bought several packages of turkey smoked sausage recently because it was super cheap, but now I don't know what to do with it. I'm great at following recipes and making a good dish, but I definitely lack my own creativity in the kitchen! Any recipe suggestions?

Replies

• Joeyj2014
    Options
    Blinker86,

First I would make sure you buy pre packaged with No Nitrates or Hormones or Grab some lean ground turkey and add some of your favorite spices and and make your own. They don't have to be round like a sausage if you don't want. Not only will it taste way better it will not have all the BS in it along with the high sodium. You will feel way better. Check out the book Phase4life by heather Juliani. Easy and healthly meals to cook at home. Really easy. Take a look at phase4life fan page on FB. You could use the sausage in stuffed bell peppers. Get recipe on you tube under Phase4life. Enjoy

joeyJ2014
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    1.Simmer it in some sauerkraut, serve it with some kind of mustard on the side. I like honey mustard.
    2.You can use them in hotdog buns, just like hotdogs.
    3.Gumbo uses smoked sausage.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Love the sauerkraut idea!

My fav is on rye bread with tons of mustard and pickles? Yum!
  • Christine_120
    Options
    Make a spicy Jambalaya. You can make your own no salt creole seasoning with online recipes. And add lots of pepper and onions or what ever veges. You can make it with brown rice or quinoa. I use that seasoning after for everything.
  • ajkees
    ajkees Posts: 7
    Options
    acogg's sauerkraut idea sounds amazing! I've come across so many yummy looking chilli recipes with smoked sausage, I'd look into those! check allrecipes.com
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I make my own smoked sausage and you can't make smoked sausage without nitrates or you will run the risk of a deadly dose of botulism. Do not buy or make cold smoked meat without nitrates.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I made jambalaya tonight with leftover baked chicken and turkey smoked sausage. That's an easy family favorite, and I also use it when I make chicken and sausage gumbo. It's very good grilled with bbq sauce, in spaghetti sauce or in red or white beans. I won't cook with it more than every couple of weeks though, but it does freeze well.
  • gojodster
    gojodster Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Funny you posted that, I had the same problem today and made a sour kraut and bean salad (on the Libby's sour kraut can) with a twist, it was awesome, I made it into 6 servings and put them in the freezer.
    1 can Sour Kraut
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can Garbanzo or navy beans (I used garbanzo cause I didn't have navy beans)
    1 can Green beans (I like french style best personally)
    1 chopped green bell pepper
    1 chopped Red bell pepper
    1/4 cup onion
    1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    total 133 calories per serving
    6 servings then just grilled a sausage and ate with it.
    I also added a little mustard to and that was great to.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    love the sauerkraut idea, I also like to just throw them on the barbecue (I usually put a couple little slits through the casing to let some of the fat cook out of them but since they are turkey there may not be much fat there)