Self Sabotage?

Options
Hi All,

This is my first post - woo! I've been on and off MFP for about a year and a half now. I've been actively trying to lose weight since I was 14 (as per doctor recommendations, so no lectures please!) and I'm 22 now. I moved to a new city in August and since then have gone from 239 to 223. Mostly this is because my life involves a lot more walking since I actually live downtown. Even my car is typically parked about 1/4 mile from my apartment. :)

Basically, this is what happens.

1) I get psyched to lose weight
2) I work really hard at it for a few weeks and find some success
3) I forget/get off track/etc

So that cycle would repeat itself, but the time in between cycles has greatly reduced itself in the past two years. So that's a good thing!

Basically, my issue I'm currently having with myself is this: I know what it takes to lose the weight, I know how to do it, I can envision myself being healthy, fit, etc. SO WHY AM I NOT JUST DOING IT? It is what I want. It is how I feel I will truly live my best life. I know this cookie or piece of pizza won't help me, but why am I eating it anyway? It's a weird form of self-sabotage. Sometimes I think I'm eating so healthy I need to eat something junky so I don't become extreme about it. What gives? Has anybody else been through this?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Happy first post!

It sounds like the problem is with your mindset. You're labeling foods as healthy and unhealthy, and then depriving yourself of the unhealthy foods, which obviously ends in disaster. There is nothing wrong with cookies and pizza, and eating them doesn't negate all the healthy foods you eat the rest of the time. I try to eat well the majority of my day, but I always save room for dessert. Some nights I have cookies, ice cream, or in the case of tonight, a small box of chocolates, but other nights I'm happy with some yogurt. Not making anything off limits keeps me from going crazy, and I'm losing weight steadily. It's all about finding a balance.
  • HeatherGTaylor
    HeatherGTaylor Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Getting in the cycle that I have to limit my food and I'll lose the weight becomes a stage for failure. The Key as kgeyser stated is incorporating the treats every single day. Smaller potions that fit into all your categories on MFP but every day have a salty treat and a sweet treat. I tried it this past week and with A LOT of self talk telling myself its not about the scale number but about being healthy and eating properly 100% of the time it takes away that urgency to treat.
  • s4naz
    s4naz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I went through the same kind of cycle my whole life. My problem was that my goal, when I would first start, was to "lose weight" and nothing else, so I would get frustrated that it wasn't coming off fast enough. Once I changed my mindset to making a lifestyle change, and incorporating working out into my life, the weight loss seemed like a bonus! I would weigh myself maybe once a week and get excited to see I was 2 or 3lbs lighter.

You can do it but have to be realistic - you aren't going to lose it all overnight, or even in a few weeks. It's going to take work and patience, but when it happens...it will feel amazing!!