disc golfers and finess sports

Options
I'm in here thanks to my wife. She's losing and I'm gaining. I've always been on the verge of being to skinny. So I'm looking to increase my size but by gaining muscle mass, but I don't want to become to bulky and stocky as I am an avid disc golfer. This sport is better with flexibility and muscle toned strength.

Any tips out there for workout tips to increase strength and overall athleticism along with flexibility.

Also any discers out there with any specific drills/workouts.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    :huh: Getting "bulky" takes years of hard work and managing calories so it will never accidentally happen and muscular people can still be very flexible and agile.

With that out of the way you have to do some kind of resistance training to gain muscle. Just gaining weight without it will be almost all fat. You could do weights or a body weight program. As long as you continue to increase resistance and eat in a surplus you can gain some muscle. Continue to play disc golf along with a good mobility and stretching program and you should be set.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm in here thanks to my wife. She's losing and I'm gaining. I've always been on the verge of being to skinny. So I'm looking to increase my size but by gaining muscle mass, but I don't want to become to bulky and stocky as I am an avid disc golfer. This sport is better with flexibility and muscle toned strength.

Any tips out there for workout tips to increase strength and overall athleticism along with flexibility.

Also any discers out there with any specific drills/workouts.

Dude, I'm a regular lifter and I'm super flexible (i.e. I can easily drop into the splits, etc.). This is because I'm a long time proponent of Kung Fu. Lifting didn't suddenly remove my skills or flexibility, it enhanced them.

Train properly, eat properly, do flexibility and mobility work properly and you'll end up more athletic and have better performance.

Plus, if you've always been "too skinny", you'll need to work really hard to build some appreciable muscle mass. You won't look like some dude jacked up on steroids overnight and lose your sporting prowess, trust me!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Like the guys said, if you continue to work on your flexibility and agility you will only enhance your athletic ability as you get stronger. Gaining muscle makes people bulky and slow is a myth from the 50s that's been blown to hell by every modern athlete in every sport, including disc golfing.

Now can someone please explain to me WTF disc golfing is?
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Now can someone please explain to me WTF disc golfing is?

Basically, it's frisbees of varying weight that have sharper angles on the rim that you throw down an outdoor course and try to get them into the basket. The basket is a metal pole with a basket in the middle, the pole extends up further and chains run from the top of the pole to the edge of the basket. This gives some resistance to drop the discs into the basket.

'Holes' have a tee, set number of throws for par. Like different golf clubs, you have different discs for different roles.

Nephew got me playing it occasionally during the summers when he is home from med school. It's actually a lot more fun than i thought it would be. Courses are at parks and normally free, you really only need 2-3 discs so for $20 you are good to go.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Does sound like a lot of fun. But where does all the flexibility and agility come into play?
  • MN_JD
    MN_JD Posts: 3
    Options
    If you try to muscle the disc you loose aim. The throwing motion requires a run up with crossing steps and you arm motion needs you to reach all the way across your body. Plenty of youtube videos if you look up pdga.

I realize mass is not an overnight thing. I mean that I could care less about making out the weight I can lift but more about muscle strength in tone and increasing rep strength.