calorie deficient

I'm 5'7, 153 pounds. My goal weight is somewhere between 118-123. Last week I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic with high cholesterol as well as vitamin D deficient and anemic. Since then I have been tracking my foods and limiting my carb and sugar intake. However, with healthy eating, I can't seem to eat more than around 600 calories a day without blowing out on carbs. I find when I eat healthy I can have more food with less calories and I just get full more easily. I know this can't be healthy. What should I do??

On another note, would the Paleo Diet be good for me since I am pre-diabetic?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    I'm not versed on the paleo diet, but there are many people on here that are. Your diet lacks fat. There is a handful of vitamins your body can't absorb if you aren't eating fat. It's an important part of your macro. Add olive oil to your salads or to the pan you cook in. Add chopped nuts to dishes or just snack on them during the day. Both will help you boost your calories and provide value to your diet.
  • HappyGladGal
    HappyGladGal Posts: 21 Member
    You can try to have more vegetables, they are low in carbs and high in fibre. They also make you feel full. Have good fats, like olive oil. Switch refined carbs to complex carbs like brown rice or wholemeal bread.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    I was a gestational diabetic with my last pregnancy and went almost completely paleo-but I kept eating steel cut oats because they were filling and I liked them too much to give up. As a result of the diet change, my blood sugars were fantastic! Fasting glucose was between 75-80, and post meal blood sugars (2 hours post meal) were usually between 90 and 115. I was testing 4 times a day. My diabetes educator and I were NOT in agreement with the paleo lifestyle and she actually attempted to discourage me by warning that my blood sugars would be uncontrolled if I didn't follow a traditional ADA diet, but I'm also a registered nurse and did my research on case studies concerning diabetes and these types of nutrition plans as soon as I was diagnosed. Not surprisingly to me, the case studies showed a drop in blood glucose by (if I'm remembering correctly) approximately 39% as opposed to those following a traditional ADA diet. Needless to say, I think some of the educators may be behind the times.