Protein intake...

Options
KrisKabob
KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
Is it a problem that I tend to go way over my protein recommendation??? I don't know how I always seem to get in a lot of protein... should I try to cut back?

Replies

• KrisKabob
    Options
    Is it a problem that I tend to go way over my protein recommendation??? I don't know how I always seem to get in a lot of protein... should I try to cut back?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

that depends on your definition of way over. if way over is 10% then you are probably fine. if way over is 50%, then I would cut back.
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Well let's just say it's only lunch time and I am 2 grams OVER my protein goal for the day...
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    I'm sorry... 4 grams over... :wink:

My daily goal is only 46 grams of protein... Monday & Tuesday I ate around 70-75 grams. I don't want to talk about yesterday - I fell off the wagon a bit.

My other stats are pretty good.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    What do you eat to go over in protein?

I logged in all my food for today, and have only 36 grams (I'm supposed to have 64 grams for the day).

I usually only get in 30ish grams of protein per day - trying to figure out how to up that without increasing calories or fat. Protein shakes? Ugh.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

My daily goal is only 46 grams of protein... Monday & Tuesday I ate around 70-75 grams. I don't want to talk about yesterday - I fell off the wagon a bit.

hmm, are you planning out your meals in advance? I mean, that's almost 100% over your goal. It sounds like you need a little planning. You can make a list of foods that fit into catagories then you can mix and match for variety.

I.E. list a whole bunch of fruits, a whole bunch of breads, a whole bunch of legumes and nuts, a whole bunch of dairy, and some meats.

then you can mix and match ahead of time. this way you know about how much you will be eating for the day. It sounds harder then it is. Take about an hour or so one time and you will have it mostly worked out, it also helps with grocery shopping as well, it keeps you from overbuying for the week.
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    What do you eat to go over in protein?

I logged in all my food for today, and have only 36 grams (I'm supposed to have 64 grams for the day).

I usually only get in 30ish grams of protein per day - trying to figure out how to up that without increasing calories or fat. Protein shakes? Ugh.

Well, not to be "one of those people" but today I had:
    Breakfast - Thomas light multi grain english muffin with two slices of canadian bacon and one slice of Kraft FF american cheese, toasted.
    Lunch - mixed salad greens with tyson grilled chicken breast strips (3oz), string cheese pulled apart on top, and FF balsalmic vinegarette dressing.
    Total Protein: 50 grams (so far)

O' and I was wrong about Monday - I checked and I actually had around 90 grams of protein... maybe it's because I eat protein literally at every meal. I really like protein... and almost all the protein I eat is healthy - no protein shakes! Yuck!
  • KrisKabob
    Options

hmm, are you planning out your meals in advance? I mean, that's almost 100% over your goal. It sounds like you need a little planning. You can make a list of foods that fit into catagories then you can mix and match for variety.

I.E. list a whole bunch of fruits, a whole bunch of breads, a whole bunch of legumes and nuts, a whole bunch of dairy, and some meats.

then you can mix and match ahead of time. this way you know about how much you will be eating for the day. It sounds harder then it is. Take about an hour or so one time and you will have it mostly worked out, it also helps with grocery shopping as well, it keeps you from overbuying for the week.

I do try to plan out my meals... I guess I could up my fruit intake. I really don't eat too many fruits. I will do what you suggested and make a list and mix/match things. The one thing I have on my side is that I really do eat healthy proteins: LF cheeses, lean meats, whole grain breads, FF milk, etc.