exercise with headaches/migraines

Options
Hi all,

I suffer from frequent headaches and migraines which are currently being treated, but the medication i'm on for them is a bit hit or miss. Because of this, I sometimes end up going days without doing any decent exercise because I'm too concerned I'll make it worse.

Can anyone recommend any workouts or exercises I could attempt on days that I am struggling with these migraines? I'm determined to not let them get in the way of my fitness.

Replies

• mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It depends on how bad the headache/migraine is as to what if anything I do. Sometimes if I have a headache I will walk, elliptical or bike. I definitely would not do anything jarring (running, jumping, etc.) Sometimes just some gentle exercise or stretching makes the headache better. When I have a full blown migraine I can't do anything.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually lessens my migraines. If I feel one coming on and get to the gym and get the endorphins going through my body, it helps make the migraine go away. I know it's tough for people who are stuck in the worst part of the migraine....but if you can get some sort of cardio and get your heart rate up when you feel one coming on it can help! I do low impact cardio anyway, elliptical, AMT.....so it's not that running kind of jostling. :)
  • sam_m187
    sam_m187 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from migranes and headaches quite often. I was unable to do anything at all with a migrane.

For the last week or so I've had quite persistent severe headaches, which I felt could have easily been the start of migranes.

I pushed through the first evening and done Body Pump with a pretty bad headache, and surprisingly I felt much better for it. I'm not sure if it was the endorphins, but my headache definitely eased alot more for the rest of the evening.

I hope they get more manageable soon!
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from frequent headaches and migraines. If my headache isn't a migraine, I try to push through and go about my normal exercise and usually it eases up. If my migraine is bad, I can't do anything at all. I would suggest some type of cardio like walking, running, elliptical...along those lines. I have gone to a zumba class with a bad headache before and although it temporarily doesn't bother me, the second I stop class it is worse (probably from all the jumping and up and down movement).

Hope they get better!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I suffer from frequent headaches and migraines which are currently being treated, but the medication i'm on for them is a bit hit or miss. Because of this, I sometimes end up going days without doing any decent exercise because I'm too concerned I'll make it worse.

Can anyone recommend any workouts or exercises I could attempt on days that I am struggling with these migraines? I'm determined to not let them get in the way of my fitness.

I get frequent migraines which were exacerbated by recent brain surgery. I find that it's best for me to exercise right away in the morning, because if I wait too late in the day, the pain can get bad enough that I can't work out.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yoga usually helps with mine, and if it doesn't help, it doesn't make them worse at least.
  • maggymae78
    maggymae78 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer once who gave me the guideline that if your illness/ache is above the neck, workout (just modify to your needs). If it is below the neck, skip the workout. We had the discussion because I had missed days for sinus headaches and for bronchitis. A lot of time exercise helps to release pain-killing hormones, just be sure you pay attention to your limitations.
  • maggymae78
    maggymae78 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yoga usually helps with mine, and if it doesn't help, it doesn't make them worse at least.
    I totally agree - as long as you watch your poses. :-)
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I usually skip my workout completely. If it's just a little twinge of a headache I may or may not workout but anything more than that, I normally skip it because it gets worse with activity. I'm going to have to try yoga instead of skipping completely next time I get one.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I agree with the non-impact exercise is great, it gets your body moving with the extra pounding that goes straight to your head.

I remember trying to hike once with a migraine. Bad decision, I live in the mountains and every step was an elevation gain that made it worse. I turned around and went home.
  • sewwy
    sewwy Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. I'll definitely try and give low impact a go next time I'm struggling. Usually, the headaches and migraines begin at about 10am, and by the time I've got time to exercise they're pretty notorious, so it sounds like low impact might be the way to go.
    I had a trainer once who gave me the guideline that if your illness/ache is above the neck, workout (just modify to your needs). If it is below the neck, skip the workout. We had the discussion because I had missed days for sinus headaches and for bronchitis. A lot of time exercise helps to release pain-killing hormones, just be sure you pay attention to your limitations.

That's interesting. Io'll really keep that in mind. :)
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I tend not to get headaches, but I do suffer migraines. I don't exercise when I feel a migraine coming on, I take a tablet and wait for it to start working and that day becomes my recovery day as I generally hit the gym 6 days a week so a missed day doesn't phase me. I have found that with regular exercise my migraines are becoming much less frequent though, I can honestly say I can sometimes go a couple of months migraine free which is amazing considering I was getting them quite regularly.