Make me a new grocery list!!!

I'm trying to revamp my grocery list / eating habits to avoid burnout of eating the same old things. I'm looking for suggestions of things to add or try. I'm not super picky... my only dislikes are raw onion, eggplant, and liver. I'll try pretty much anything else. Also, I try to avoid gluten and dairy for various health issues. My current grocery list looks a little something like this:

Eggs
Avocados
Apples
Bananas
Baby Spinach
Garlic
Mushrooms
Cucumbers
Celery
Hummus
Protein Powder
Greek yogurt
Chicken
Salmon
Steel cut oatmeal
Blueberries
Walnuts
Almonds

Yep... that pretty much sums up my healthy eating grocery list. Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting tired of the same old thing. :) Thanks!

Replies

• Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Are you opposed to lean beef or pork? I also don't see any healthy fats or oils, which are also important to add. Are you mixing your protein powder with water, or are you using an almond or coconut milk? I like to freeze my coconut milk in ice cube trays and then store them in a freezer bag to pop in the blender with my protein powder and a frozen banana. Makes a great smoothie.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    There's good fats in the salmon and nuts.

How are you with other fish - prawns or cod?

I'm not a fan of bananas, but I love satsumas.

Other veg in season - courgettes, aubergines, leeks. Tomatoes?

Beans and pulses - lentils, chickpeas.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    True, but if you aren't eating salmon and almonds every day then where are the rest of the healthy fats coming from? (I'm only assuming however-the salmon and chicken may be getting cooked in olive oil or something similar, just not added to the grocery list.) Chickpeas are a great suggestion, Melanie! I didn't think about making hummus, which might make your vegetables a bit more interesting. :)
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Don't forget the peanut butter!??

Is this just a snack list?

Maybe rice or quinoa?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    A couple of pints of beer wouldnt go amiss....
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Sorry, I did forget to add some of my regulars :) I cook with coconut and olive oil (for good fats) and I do use brown rice and quinoa, but I buy them in bulk so I don't think of them as regular grocery list items and forgot to add them to my original post :)
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Even if I have a list I usually end up with 5-10 extra items :) walking by and it triggers oh yeah we are out or getting low. I try to have a list as a guide line but always end up with extra!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Extra lean ground beef or ground turkey with some yummy cheese to make burgers or meatloaf.
    Salsa
    Sweet potatoes
    Center cut bacon
    Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
    Bell peppers
    Hummus
    Almond butter
    Carrots
    Celery
    Clementines
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    Ground turkey+water chestnuts+lite soy sauce+lettuce=lettuce wraps
    lentils+rice+tomato sauce+spices+bell peppers or cabbage=stuffed peppers or cabbage
    baby spinach+chicken+mandarin oranges+red bell pepper+cilantro+mango for dressing=asian salad
    zucchini+mushrooms+quinoa+spices=stuffed zucchini
    corn tortillas+avocado+salsa+cilantro+greek yogurt with lime juice and cumin+mahi mahi=fish tacos
    Now I think I need to go shopping. I'm hungry!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    I've listed some of my favourites! I hope it's a help to you.

Tomatoes. They go well with anything--raw, chopped for curry or Italian sauces, roasted in the oven (cherry tomatoes in particular).

Pumpkin seeds. Fabulous and an easy snack to take with you. Also, they're great for maintaining focus and memory.

Cheeses. Feta is particularly good for B12 and is fairly strong tasting and low calorie. String cheese or other individually wrapped cheeses are great to pop in your bag, too!

Kale or chard. Boil it and add it to eggs, use it as a base for a warm salad, or add it to stir fries or curries.

Chia seeds. Add to smoothies or yoghurt, and I've seen some pudding recipes, too!

Canned tuna (or salmon or other fish). Yummy and makes for a quick lunch! My favourite is with a bit of chopped apple, walnuts, and mayo for a slightly sweet version, or a savoury one with avocado, mustard, and pepper.

Milk. Versatile, yummy, and very useful! Or try soya or almond milk. It's particularly good for making oatmeal/porridge. I can eat less of the grain if I bulk up the meal with milk. I feel fuller for longer, too!

Sweet potatoes or squash. Tasty and good with everything!

Canned or dried beans and lentils. Add on top of potatoes, put in soups or salads, and yummy with some salsa.

Carrots. They're really cheap compared to celery (at least here) and go well with that hummus!

Game meats. I don't like more fatty meats, and became pescetarian because I didn't like commercial ways of slaughter. Game is leaner, generally slaughtered in a kinder way, and very flavourful. Bison also is a great beef alternative and can be found at local stores (Whole Foods, for example).

Kiwi. YUM. High vitamin C, and a recent study discovered that people tend to fall asleep easier after eating kiwis a couple hours before bed.

Lemons. In hot water or tea, squeezed onto curries or fish, or zested for added flavour.

Green tea. Loads of health benefits!

SPICES. Get loads of spices. That more than anything can change the flavour of your food if you're bored. I find cinnamon, curry powders, chilli, different peppers, and a good quality salt transform my food better than anything. Fresh herbs and chillis are lovely, too!
  • slhall0822
    Bump. Need some new ideas :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    I make my recipe list, then I buy those ingredients along with my staples.
  • sarahrmli
    sarahrmli Posts: 9 Member
    I make my recipe list, then I buy those ingredients along with my staples.

I find this works for me too. Best to online shop if you can, avoid all those impulsive purchases.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    I never go a week without pork, cauliflower, broccoli, butter, heavy cream (cooking and coffee), avocados, spinach, salsa, guacamole, bacon, Greek yogurt (cooking and fruit dip), sausage, peaches, eggs (omelettes are my go-to), cabbage, okra, cilantro, peanut butter, and cucumbers (to dip in my guacamole)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    It depends on what you enjoy eating.

Here is some of what I typically go for:

Whole bean coffee
    Green tea
    Unsweetened iced tea
    Coconut water
    Chicken stock
    Black beans
    Chickpeas
    Basmati or Jasmine rice
    Peanut butter
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Rolled oats
    Canned tuna
    Canned mackerel
    Sun-dried tomatoes
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Mayo
    Honey
    Spices
    BBQ sauce
    High fiber, low calorie bread
    Tortillas

Cheese
    Cottage cheese
    Ice cream
    Milk
    Coconut milk
    Almond milk
    Chocolate
    Cookies
    Low sugar, full fat or 2% yogurt

Extra virgin olive oil
    Unrefined virgin coconut oil
    Safflower oil
    Unsalted grass fed butter

Porterhouse, Ribeye, NY Strip, Hanger, T-bone steak
    Thick cut bacon
    Pork tenderloin
    Sausage
    Ribs
    Ground beef, lamb, pork, veal
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast
    Bone-in split chicken breast
    Wild sea scallops
    Wild shrimp
    Wild salmon
    Wild tuna
    Prosciutto and pancetta
    Turkey deli meat
    Eggs

Limes
    Lemons
    Oranges
    Bananas
    Peaches
    Avocado
    Berries
    Tomatoes
    Kiwi
    Pineapple
    Mango

Fresh herbs for marinating meats
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Black beans
    Bell peppers
    Cabbage
    Chiles
    Mushrooms
    Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    Kale
    Spinach
    Carrots
    Onions
    Garlic
    Green beans
    Broccoli
    Broccoli rabe
    Cauliflower
    Brussels sprouts
    Zucchini
    Scallions
    Yellow squash
    Eggplant
    Corn
  • slhall0822
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    It depends on what you enjoy eating.

Wow... quite the list... thank you sixxpoint!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    I think you have some great ideas already. I love laughing cow cheese with mini peppers or spread on lite Italian Flat Out wraps (good fiber and low carbs) with tuna or turkey.

Can't think of anything not listed except think thin protein bars for on the go snacks.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    gluten free cereal like rice chex, non dairy milk (unsweetend coconut is a personal favorite. ) beans, canned if your lazy, maybe some tofu for stir frying?
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Great suggestions so far.
    Add some fresh herbs and lemon. That can really elevate many a 'boring' meals
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Where's the chocolate on your list?? I don't trust anyone that doesn't like chocolate ;)