Am I eating too little?

I'm 6' 240lbs male.

I initially set my activity level as 'sedentary', which gave me 1840 kcal base. I walk around to and from work/ gym/ and probably walk around 100+ steps(stairs) on commute. I would say I spend around 1-2 hours walking around on my feet.

I work out 6 days/week. Daily workout is 1 hour crossfit + 40 min cardio/body weight exercises. I keep myself moving for 2 hours.

I've been adding crossfit as 15 min circuit(224kcal) and that's been giving me 2100 kcal to eat / day.

I can barely squeeze through. I feel slightly hungry throughout the day. Any less and I would feel it.

Is 2100 kcal too little for someone my height/size/ activity level?

I'm trying to get muscular, not just shed overall 'weight'. My protein intake is 200g +, carb usually around 150g

Replies

• edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    I'm 6' 240lbs male.

I initially set my activity level as 'sedentary', which gave me 1840 kcal base. I walk around to and from work/ gym/ and probably walk around 100+ steps(stairs) on commute. I would say I spend around 1-2 hours walking around on my feet.

I work out 6 days/week. Daily workout is 1 hour crossfit + 40 min cardio/body weight exercises. I keep myself moving for 2 hours.

I've been adding crossfit as 15 min circuit(224kcal) and that's been giving me 2100 kcal to eat / day.

I don't feel too famished because I eat 6 small meals(with protein shakes) and I drink lots of water; however, any less and I would really feel the hunger.

Is 2100 kcal too little for someone my height/size/ activity level?

I'm trying to get muscular, not just shed overall 'weight'. My protein intake is 200g +, carb usually around 150g
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Increase your activity level, and give it a week. If that doesn't work, eat back more of your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Increase your activity level, and give it a week. If that doesn't work, eat back more of your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

I am losing weight now.. steadily at around 3 - 3.5kg/ month, however,

I'm not sure if a cut at my size and exercise level/intensity requires more kcal or not since I'm trying to gain muscle while losing some fat.

My b/f level is prob around 19 - 22% range now at 240lbs

I'm trying to get to 210lbs @ 13-15% bf.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    By "working," I meant feeling great while losing fat & building muscle. Sounds like you feel pretty terrible right now. Since what you're doing right now isn't working, try something else.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I think you're eating a bit on the low side. First of all, you're not really going to gain any muscle on a calorie deficit. As long as your protein intake is high enough and you're exercising consistely, you'll maintain LBM and maybe increase strength and/or endurance depending on your workouts.

I'd think your workouts, at an hour and 40 minutes total would give you WAY more than 224 calories. How about logging at least an hour of cross training and eating back those calories. That'd still be on the conservative side. Or follow the guidelines in that link to give you a more constant daily estimate.