Too much cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Your first sentence has about a 95% probability IMO. It certainly is the first thing you would consider.

I am dubious about the long-term effectiveness of these "active" work stations. I don't see how you can do effective exercise while working, so that means the movement has to be low-level. It's not that the body "gets used" to the activity and stops burning extra calories. It's that the overall energy burned is relatively low and gradual, so the person tends to adjust their overall food and activity patterns to restore an energy balance.

I see the advantage of that not in terms of exercises. i could absolutely see the body adjusting to that happy medium of being It's not about exercise necessarily (to me) it has more to do with getting out of the "sedentary" cubicle 8 hrs a day life style.

Studies have shown that even if you are exceptionally fit and active- if you work 8 hrs a day at a desk- it's wildly unhealthy and your 2 hrs a day at the gym isn't' going to "combat" or counter those negative side affects.

So to me- it's worth having because it helps get away from that- I would never use it as regular workout- it's not feasible and doesn't get me where I want to go- I'd use it more to get away from those negative sedentary side affects.

But yes- I would agree- I would get away from the idea it's a part of an exercise program.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM to determine calories burned or MFP *estimates? MFP estimates are usually way off because they can't factor in effort during the workout. If you're relying on MFP estimates for biking, I wouldn't eat back more than 25% of the calories it claims you burned. If you're using a HRM for biking, I wouldn't eat back more than 50% of the calories it claims you burned.

Are you drinking 12-16 cups of water? If not, aim for 16 and be okay with 12.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    I'm using a CycleOps and in conjunction with my Garmin Forerunner 305, I have installed the Garmin Cadence Sensor and am using the heart monitor. According to the Forerunner, I burn about 440 calories per 5 miles biked at approximately 17mph.

440 seems really high to me. I have a stationary bike and if i ride it at 17mph, even on a really high level, i only burn about 150 for the 1/2 hour and thats also 5 miles. i dont use an HRM but 440 still seems too high, just my opinion
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    2 things happened to me: I'll share them with you, but YMMV.

#1 MFP's algorithms set my daily calories too low. I was under-eating at 1200 calories, at 5'8" and 186 lbs. My hair started to fall out. I followed the instructions to determine my BMR and TDEE here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map And I set myself TDEE - 20%, and came up with 1560 calories. I used "sedentary" for my activity level, and I eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories. My hair stopped falling out and the weight started to come off. If I were you, I would either reduce your goal to 1 lb per week, or do the math to figure out your BMR/TDEE.

#2 Booze. I can't access your diary to see if you're drinker or not. When I first started MFP, I had cut my drinking back, but was still enjoying a few a couple times a week, and I was still losing weight. Come summer when I was outside more and more active, I was burning a ton of calories, and then drinking them back. I mistakenly thought "a calorie is a calorie". Nope. Apparently, when your body is too busy processing alcohol, it can't multitask and burn fat simultaneously. (Google alcohol & weight loss for a better explanation that I can give here). Once I cut my drinking back even more, the weight started melting off again.

Hope this helps, and if it's irrelevant to your situation, just ignore. Good luck!
  • jirwin323
    jirwin323 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thank you for so much good information. Now that you mention it, I do have a few drinks everynight of scotch, and I had thought of it as a calorie is a calorie - I just did the google on the subject and after this bottle is done, no more for me.

Thank you again.
  • marinab63
    Options
    The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn all day long. I am 50 and have been lifting weights for 18 years. Resistance training is critical for boosting metabolism, burning fat and helps prevent bone loss. Plus, it makes you look and feel even better. I would incorporate at least 2-3 30 minute sessions per week and then work up from there. Go easy and good luck!