Supplements

Options
2»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about 5-htp - so did a quick search.

WebMD gives it an overview on this link.

Based on the feedback - I would probably look at more natural remedies.

If anyone is going to take them do as much independent research as possible.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/5-htp-hydroxytryptophan
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Something that your body produces is somehow not more natural than a chemical made in a lab and put into the body? I don't think that's the argument you want to make? So, if you weren't absorbing and utilizing your dietary iron to make hemoglobin because your B and C levels were low, or your body wasn't using it's calcium intake because you were low in vit D, you wouldn't supplement because it's unnatural?
    No, that's not the argument I want to make. I meant the exact opposite :)
    Supplements are very useful if you need them. Natural vs. chemical is a stupid war.
    I just wanted to say that people should be careful in labeling antidepressants as chemical/bad and this supplement as natural/good, because at the end of the day they both give your body more serotonin than you would get without them. It can be a good thing but you should be careful either way. Neurotrasmitters balance is complicated business.
    By the way, I'm supplementing my iron, my B and my C and I'm also on birth control, so I definitely like unnatural chemicals! :)
  • Greytfish
    Options
    The thing is, no one was arguing that natural was better than lab created chemicals. There were people arguing the OP shouldn't take certain supplements, who fabulously didn't first ask why she was taking them, whether they were advised by a professional or whether her doctor was aware. There were people saying that natural substances are not natural despite the fact that natural substances clearly are natural (reminds me of the argument that a whey protein shake isn't food :laugh: ). There was nothing that indicated people were of the opinon that natural is always good and unnatural is always bad. There were just a lot of unfounded supplements.

5-HTP is prescribed in situations where MAOIs and SSRIs are ineffective at restoring proprer serotinin balance. It's not appropriate for everyone, or even everyone with a depressive disorder, but it's a much better option than the alternatives for someone who isn't producing serotonin and thus receives little or no benefit from chemical antidepressants. Unfortunately, many people think of it as an alternative to antidepressants when it's an entirely different thing working in an entirely different mechanism. In either case, as with all supplements or dietary and workout plans, professional advice should be sought.
  • sbarella
    Options
    I was answering to a very specific post:
    "5-HTP is awesome. I started taking it for depression/anxiety as a more "natural" remedy years ago."

• Greytfish
    Options
    "5-HTP is awesome. I started taking it for depression/anxiety as a more "natural" remedy years ago."

What is flawed about that statement?
  • sbarella
    Options

What is flawed about that statement?
    Nothing. Forget about it.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Assumptions are dangerous things, especially when the basis for an argument.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    yeaaahh I dunno. I try not to take things that screw with your brain too much
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Agreed, although sometimes it's hard to stay away from women!!!:smile:
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Everything you eat screws with your brain, some things are just better at it.