Need serious help with stupid fitbit

Options
Ok so I bought the fitbit zip yesterday, I inserted the battery around 5 last night. I setup my accounts and they are synced because when I enter cals into mfp they transfer to fitbit app/dashboard. There are a few problems though
1. When I inserted the battery the clock read 0000 for midnight. At 5 this morning it read 1200, at 6am it read 1300, is it using military time and assuming when I turned it on it was midnight?? Or is this just measuring the hours it's been on?
I have the time set correct in mfp and fitbit app
2. Fitbit itself (the one I wear) didn't reset at midnight but the dashboard did, is this normal?
3. Dashboard only has calories burned not distance or steps recorded, why?
4. I know this will be a useful tool but it's driving me crazy. I don't know how to track anything correctly because te fitbit itself is still using yesterday's numbers. I took the battery out and it didn't reset. Help!!!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Did you set up it up so the Zip synchs to your PC? It sounds like it's not. It should have the accurate time and your dashboard show your steps.

You might want to ask on the Fitbit forums.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....yeah, maybe check the forums on the Fitbit site for help. I got a Zip about three weeks ago, popped the battery around 5pm, followed the set up steps online and it's worked great for me every day. Time, steps, distance, etc all match up between the Zip, the app and the website dashboard for me.

Hope you get it worked out!
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but did you plug the wireless dongle into your computer and sync it with your fitbit?
  • mbanister1
    mbanister1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok so my fitbit doesn't have instructions with it, I did not plus the piece into the computer because I didn't plN on using the computer with it. I thought since I have the mfp and fitbit apps synced I didn't need to. Now I'm really lost lol. Do I have to be by a computer every time I want to sync? My cals from mfp Are showing up on fitbit and last night the calorie adjustment, even though it was 0 showed up in my diary.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit zip...and am sooooooo disappointed! Think I'm going to sell it. I get so much more from my Polar HRM.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    In short, yes.

In long, do this:

Go to Fitbit.com and download the software. There should be some kind of "Getting Started" link.

Plug the Wireless Dongle into a free USB port. This is how the actual Fitbit "talks" to the computer.

Make sure it syncs.

Report back here if you are still having problems or if it works.

Edited to add: http://www.fitbit.com/setup
  • hon918
    hon918 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to sync it with your phone? Not all android phones are compatible (it doesn't work on mine), so you have to use a computer.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I do think you need to sync up with a computer initially to set it up. Then, if you have the app, you can just sync to that and you don't need the computer, but I find there is more on the website than on the app. I find the computer easier to use, but I'm more of a computer gal than a handheld gal.

I just bought a Zip for hubby, it didn't take with him so I transferred it to my oldest son (who decided he wanted a clip on rather than the Flex). I didn't seem to have much trouble, but I remember setting up the Flex, I was a little frustrated with the lack of printed instructions. There are steps/instructions/manuals online.

http://www.fitbit.com/start/zip

A Fitbit is very different from a HRM. I have both and like both, but IF I had to choose one, I'd personally go with the Fitbit. I admit it, I'm a fan. I wrote a blog post that would be good for beginners or those looking into one ... just to show you what it can do. I love mine and want everyone to love theirs (but as I said, I realize not everyone, i.e. my hubby, will).
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Ok so my fitbit doesn't have instructions with it, I did not plus the piece into the computer because I didn't plN on using the computer with it. I thought since I have the mfp and fitbit apps synced I didn't need to. Now I'm really lost lol. Do I have to be by a computer every time I want to sync? My cals from mfp Are showing up on fitbit and last night the calorie adjustment, even though it was 0 showed up in my diary.
    None of them have instructions, just a note to where on their web site to go to get it up and going.

The Fitbit APP, not the Fitbit itself, talks to the MFP app. To let the Fitbit itself talk to the Fitbit app, it needs to be periodically near a computer with a dongle or a supported phone. Below are the supported phones.

http://www.fitbit.com/devices