Running and recovery

glypta
glypta Posts: 440 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I did a half marathon on Sunday, and have another one a week on Sunday (i.e. 2 weeks apart). My legs are still a little sore, but certainly better than yesterday. I want to make sure I keep training so I can keep my weight/fitness in check, but don't want to risk injury. I also want a good time on this coming race too.

Does anyone have any advice for me in terms of getting back out there? I was planning tomorrow (Wednesday), Friday, Sunday and Tuesday, then nothing 'til the Sunday, but as I'm still a bit sore, was thinking of Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday, 6 miles, 9 miles, and 6 again. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I did a half marathon on Sunday, and have another one a week on Sunday (i.e. 2 weeks apart). My legs are still a little sore, but certainly better than yesterday. I want to make sure I keep training so I can keep my weight/fitness in check, but don't want to risk injury. I also want a good time on this coming race too.

Does anyone have any advice for me in terms of getting back out there? I was planning tomorrow (Wednesday), Friday, Sunday and Tuesday, then nothing 'til the Sunday, but as I'm still a bit sore, was thinking of Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday, 6 miles, 9 miles, and 6 again. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Congratulations on your half marathon!!!

Definitely get back out there, just take it easy the first session back, and then the next session do a bit more.

Looks like you enjoyed it otherwise you would be saying "never again" :laugh:

I do know that international marathon runners still get sore the day after a marathon and have to go for an easy run to help their muscles. So even at their level they get the soreness etc, I know your run wasn't a marathon, but it was still a bloody long way and your muscles are completely within their right to be tender.

All the very best on your next one! WTG!!! :flowerforyou:
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Congrats!

I've done 6 marathons and I can say that when my coach would say "ok, so take a day off, the next day run an easy 4-5k and then run 10-15K on Wednesday (1/2 marathon was on a Sunday)" I was like WHAT?! But I have to tell you that after the first time I did that, I had great improvement on recovery. Also improved on my time and endurance.

Where you're running another 1/2 - You will see that if you do your 15K on Tuesday or Wednesday and then another 8-10K (take a rest day on Saturday or a small 3K run) you'll be ready to run another 1/2 by Sunday (if that's the day you race again).

I think you'll bounce back from your recent half and feel amazing on your next race. Remember to visualize your run and if you haven't done the course, drive or bike it before hand so you can have landmarks.

So, taking an easy run after a day of rest and then again on the Wednesday will help keep you on a running program and you'll maintain where you've gotten and will help you stay with your goal of running.

GOOD LUCK - PS - I would love to know how you've done on your next 1/2 so I'm adding you as a friend :)

Cheers Fellow Runner!!!
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    From what I understand, the soreness is from the lactic acid that comes from the breakdown/build-up of muscle. So when you ran, you broke down your muscles causing a build up of the lactic acid. Again, from what I understand, the best way to filter out/get rid of the extra lactic acid is to keep moving. So my suggestion is to keep on whatever schedule you feel comfortable with, just keep moving and listen to your body. It will tell you when it's had enough.

Good luck on your next run!!!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Thanks everyone...so it's 'get out there' eh? Good enough. Now to muster up the motivation! I'm actually pretty lucky that I have a friend who cycles as I run, but Thursday suits her better, so I'll do a 10k Thursday morning, maybe 9 miles on Sunday, another 10k Tuesday, then see how I feel the remainder of the week til Sunday. I'm in the habit of not doing much after that so I don't want to change my routine too much pre-race.

I wonder, while we're on the subject (sorry if any men read this), do any of you find that your TOTM influences your race time? I've never raced before when I'm at that time, but I did on Sunday (didn't relate the achiness I woke up with to that, as I rarely get pains) and was a wee bit disappointed with my time - still a PB but my last race was a MUCH harder route. Could that have added a few seconds/minutes, do you think?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    For the record, lactic acid build up isn't the cause of next day muscle soreness. Lactic acid is what you feel immediately during and after a vigorous workout, but it dissipates within an hour or two. DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is what you get the next day, and it's usually because of micro-tears in the cell walls of muscle fibers (that's the current theory at least). Which is a symptom of muscle strengthening, and perfectly healthy.

When you do distance runs (runs over 10K or so) it's a good idea, if you pushed yourself, to give yourself 1 day to fully recover (like said previously), it's ok to do a very light run just to losen up any stiff muscles if you feel the need, but that's optional. Generally after 48 to 72 hours after a long, strenuous run, your body should be fully recovered (enough) to do a full, long distance run again at speed (maybe 70 to 80% of your pace), and if you do any kind of a weekly routine, that's when you want to begin again.

In your case, with a race coming up very quickly, I would forgo the routine thing and just get in 3 or so long runs with a couple of tempo runs in between, and just back fill any additional run times with more leisurely runs to give your joints and back a chance to recover.

That would be my advice on the subject.

good luck glypta!

-Banks
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Thanks everyone...so it's 'get out there' eh? Good enough. Now to muster up the motivation! I'm actually pretty lucky that I have a friend who cycles as I run, but Thursday suits her better, so I'll do a 10k Thursday morning, maybe 9 miles on Sunday, another 10k Tuesday, then see how I feel the remainder of the week til Sunday. I'm in the habit of not doing much after that so I don't want to change my routine too much pre-race.

I wonder, while we're on the subject (sorry if any men read this), do any of you find that your TOTM influences your race time? I've never raced before when I'm at that time, but I did on Sunday (didn't relate the achiness I woke up with to that, as I rarely get pains) and was a wee bit disappointed with my time - still a PB but my last race was a MUCH harder route. Could that have added a few seconds/minutes, do you think?

TOM can be responsible. Sometimes when I have TOM, I sometimes run faster - but it depends where I'm at in my week. So the only true way to know if you can shave your time off is by watching your pace and monitor how you feel. If you feel good after 10K and you feel you can push a little more - then do it! Do you have a Garmin to help your pace throughout your race? If not, runningroom.ca has pace bands you can make up so if you have a target goal you can have this with you to stick with it.

Another tip on shaving your time off. Run a little faster throughout your race (like 30 seconds/Km), 30 seconds before getting to a hill, walk. Sprint up the hill and continue your run. This will help in catching up but also catching your breath before conquering those hills!!!

Not sure about your experience in running - sorry if I give you tips that you already know. But yes, GET OUT THERE!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

Thanks so much.

It takes less work to maintain fitness than it does to achieve it. What you don't want to do is to take too many days off in a row. I would just recommend that you run your longer runs at your easiest pace, and cut down on the length of your medium/short runs a little, but maintain a higher intensity--(tempo pace, not race pace).

I don't know that I would go Tuesday-Sunday before the race without running at all. If you have been training to get ready for these races, 4 days off might be too much. I think you could probably do a shorter (3-4 miles) tempo run on Thursday without any problem.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Re-fuelling can also play a very important part of recovery. I visited a sports nutritionist when I was training to do a half- mara and her advise was to refuel immediately following a long run on high GI carbs along with protein. So for example white bread, banana sandwiches with a glass of skimmed milk. Your next meal/snack should be low GI with protein for example wholegrain pasta, with tomato sauce and tuna. Your next meal/ snack can be anything you choose i.e. mixture of both.

You will find that this helps combat the DOMs and sustains your energy.

Good luck :smile:
  • hey great job on the half and pushing for another..! I heard a few guys on the plane home tonight (an RBS convention) talking about the 1/2 on Sun and their times were all a few mins slower than yours btw...

I echo a lot of the above comments - not that ive ever ran a 1/2 apart from in training so dont know if a race takes out more because of the adrenalin etc.. the thing that got me was a lot of the guys in the Tour de France will cycle on the rest days even after hundreds of miles of torture on the bike... just to keep it going and not freeze up.. oh - and ice baths work (apparently@!!)

K
This discussion has been closed.