Pizza & Beer

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 3-4 times a week. Lifting weights. I've gotten stronger. I can lift/squat more than I could 3 weeks ago.. and I have been going down on lbs... I guess that's why it makes it hard to believe id go down on 2000 cals a day

It's awesome you're doing all of this! However, you will plateau from strength much more quickly than others because of how low your calories are. I wouldn't recommend jumping up to 2000, but gradually increasing (perhaps 100 calories a week, although being on 900 is perilous).

Did your TDEE calculator suggest 2000 for maintenance?
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    are you talking about the calculator on MFP that says what I need to maintain? it said 1200
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Beer can have twice as much fat per ounce as McDonald's French fries.

Are you eating a stick of butter with your beer???

lmao no kidding. ever heard of michelob ultra????

Unfortunately, yes. :sick:

That's not beer

Perhaps you meant to say pizza, not beer? Pizza can have a lot of fat depending on what kind.
    If you did mean beer, I do not know what kind of beer you're drinking but, my beer does not have fat. Carbs yes, fat no.

I'm afraid this went over your head a little. We were just saying that Michelob Ultra is not beer because it tastes repulsive. Not that it has fat in it.
    In. For beer shaming. Shame on Michelob for calling that beer!

Here here!! Have an IPA micro-brew or even a Guinness But for the love of beer stay away from that piss water calling itself beer!!
  • roblock81
    roblock81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It is a scary thought I know!! Trust me I was in the same boat. I was stuck at my last 10lbs and was eating only around 1100 cals a day. I finally just went for it. Upped my calories to 2600/day added strength training and wow was I impressed. The scale did not drop to much but my appearance really started to change after 1 month I could really see the difference!! I think you are at the point that you can not worry so much about the number on the scale and focus on the image in the mirror!! Or get your body fat tested and use that as a gauge.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I just aim for 900 calories

In that case, eat the entire pizza.
  • allana1111
    Options
    It is a scary thought I know!! Trust me I was in the same boat. I was stuck at my last 10lbs and was eating only around 1100 cals a day. I finally just went for it. Upped my calories to 2600/day added strength training and wow was I impressed. The scale did not drop to much but my appearance really started to change after 1 month I could really see the difference!! I think you are at the point that you can not worry so much about the number on the scale and focus on the image in the mirror!! Or get your body fat tested and use that as a gauge.

I don't want to get BIG though.. not like big muscles.. just toned. I think being female upping mine to 2600 would be a lot.... what do u think for me?
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    that made me laugh out loud :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I don't want to get BIG though.. not like big muscles.. just toned. I think being female upping mine to 2600 would be a lot.... what do u think for me?

When your muscles get too big then stop adding additional weight to the barbell.

It's not going to happen. But that's the solution.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

As a woman, you will not get big manly muscles unless you decide to become a body builder. Seriously, women just can't do it. What's your height, weight, and age? And how many days a week do you exercise? With that information, someone can give you a good estimate on what you should be eating to maintain in order to make lifting effective.

Also, does anyone on here have the link to the thread that just has images of what people looked like before and after lifting? That right there is proof that you can do heavy lifting and you will only get sexy, not bulky.
  • allana1111
    Options

Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 124
    Cardio/Strength train: 3-4 days a week

As a woman, you will not get big manly muscles unless you decide to become a body builder. Seriously, women just can't do it. What's your height, weight, and age? And how many days a week do you exercise? With that information, someone can give you a good estimate on what you should be eating to maintain in order to make lifting effective.

Also, does anyone on here have the link to the thread that just has images of what people looked like before and after lifting? That right there is proof that you can do heavy lifting and you will only get sexy, not bulky.
  • allana1111
    Options
  • roblock81
    Options
    What works for you will be different. I am a male so yes my number are going to be higher then yours. When I was really strength training hard over the summer I was consuming 3200-3500 calories a day and still dropping body fat. What the calories consist of is also a huge factor for strength training so check out the rules with Macronutrients!!

You will get there and this site is wonderful to help. Change can be scary but I think you will be impressed with what your body can do if you give it what it needs.

Also, I thought I felt great also just doing a huge reduction. I was blown away at how great I felt adding in more fuel for my body and strength training. I was running also since I enjoy it and that improved by leaps and bounds with the added calories!

Best advice since I am no expert is simply start a topic with your true goal. You want to look tone/fit. Give out your height/age/current weight/body fat %. I am sure you will get good advice as to what types of strength training to do & what your macros should be.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My ears were burning.
    Strong username to thread correlation

I saw the thread, and thought is was about me. I was wrong.
    was thinking the same and was disappointed \m/

I agree. Very disappointed.
  • allana1111
    Options
    I just aim for 900 calories

In that case, eat the entire pizza.

lol
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

2600 might be too much. We don't know your stats. One thing is for sure: you will think *you're number* is a lot. And you can gradually increase if you're worried. And go read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

This is the best, most straight-forward explanation I've seen and let us know if you have questions.

Also, don't worry about getting "big" from lifting. It won't happen. The guys on here that are trying to get bigger work really hard for it and eat a ton! It's a lot of work.
  • roblock81
    Options
    I know someone already posted this link but:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

scroll down to the middle or so and see her before and after. If you want to look like that do not be afraid of gain a few lbs of muscle!! All we want it no fat right?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    totally OT, but every time I see this topic come up on my top five, Ween's Banana's & Blow pops in my head.
  • echofm1
    Options

According to the site If it Fits Your Macros, your TDEE (and what you would eat if you're focusing on strength training) is 1,879 calories. That's at 4 days a week of exercise. If you're more consistently at 3 days a week of exercise, you'd aim for 1821 a day. Please note, though, that you do NOT eat back your exercise calories with this method. They're already included in this. Also note that you may not lose weight, or may even gain a couple pounds by doing this. However, your body will look fitter and feel better. Muscle weighs more than fat (but looks better) which is the reason you might see a weight increase.

If anyone has different suggestions, feel free to give them. I'm by no means an expert on strength training.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My ears were burning.
    Strong username to thread correlation

I saw the thread, and thought is was about me. I was wrong.
    was thinking the same and was disappointed \m/

I agree. Very disappointed.

Same here.......... sigh.......................... I love pizza and beer! It makes the world go round.
  • echofm1
    Options
    Actually, another note. If possible, try to test your body fat % and focus on lowering that, rather than worrying about weight. Once you're near your goal, it really is about toning up your muscle and lowering your body fat, rather than actual weight. Many people have gotten to their goal weight and been disappointed because they feel "skinny fat"