Stalemate

I am 6'2" and I started with a weight of 228. I am in a position that isn't too terribly active so I set my activity at sedentary. My goal is to lose 2lbs a week. I have been a calorie counting fiend, my wife can tell you. I measure precisely. My calorie limit is 1580. I began on 12/14/13. Since then I've gone from 228 to 225 to 223 and the past 3 weeks I have stayed at 223. This weeks weigh in put me at 226. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I do exercise by doing Zumba, walking, and household activities such as hauling wood, etc. When I do those exercises, I count them in to ensure I am meeting my calorie limit.

Is my limit too high? Do I need to lower it? What do I need to do?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Youre eating too much. Start eating only half of exercise calories back. Give it a month, adjust as needed after that month.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Personally I think you would do better losing 1lb a week. It gives you more calories to play with.

And I'm not sure why so many people are recommending "eat back your calories you burn". There's no need to.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Youre eating too much. Start eating only half of exercise calories back. Give it a month, adjust as needed after that month.

I don't agree...esp since we can't see his diary to see if he weighs his food or what his burns are.

normally if you are over 100lbs overweight 2lbs a week is good but you are't...you need to lose what 30lbs???? max...

Set your goal to 1/2-1lb a week, buy a food scale and weigh your portions to ensure accuracy in logging and do not count "normal activity" in your burn...like hauling wood...you do that anyway and would if you weren't trying to lose weight.

If you can get a HRM with a chest strap for steady state cardio calorie burns...barring that use MFP-25-50% depending on your hunger.

If you are not losing weight chances are you are eating more than you think and/or your burns are too high the above will get that in order.
  • SezxyStef
    Personally I think you would do better losing 1lb a week. It gives you more calories to play with.

And I'm not sure why so many people are recommending "eat back your calories you burn". There's no need to.

because MFP is NEAT method not TDEE...so the deficet is already built into the calorie goals set my MFP.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    It's also entirely possible that you were holding onto more water that one day this week that you did your "official" weigh-in.

How are you calculating your exercise calories burned?
  • Achrya

I don't agree...esp since we can't see his diary to see if he weighs his food or what his burns are.

normally if you are over 100lbs overweight 2lbs a week is good but you are't...you need to lose what 30lbs???? max...

Set your goal to 1/2-1lb a week, buy a food scale and weigh your portions to ensure accuracy in logging and do not count "normal activity" in your burn...like hauling wood...you do that anyway and would if you weren't trying to lose weight.

If you can get a HRM with a chest strap for steady state cardio calorie burns...barring that use MFP-25-50% depending on your hunger.

If you are not losing weight chances are you are eating more than you think and/or your burns are too high the above will get that in order.

If he's logging Zumba and eating all those cals back and hasnt lost weight in 3 weeks he's eating to much. The zumba setting on this website is laughably inaccurate, for starters. Beyond that if he's set at a 1000 calorie deficit and has lost nothing for 3 weeks (not even a pound or two) there can be little at play besides eating too much.

Now is he just a bad logger? Probably. Doesn't change that he's eating too much.
  • SezxyStef

If he's logging Zumba and eating all those cals back and hasnt lost weight in 3 weeks he's eating to much. The zumba setting on this website is laughably inaccurate, for starters. Beyond that if he's set at a 1000 calorie deficit and has lost nothing for 3 weeks (not even a pound or two) there can be little at play besides eating too much.

Now is he just a bad logger? Probably. Doesn't change that he's eating too much.

5lbs in 5 weeks is good. He shouldn't be aiming for 2lbs a week. And if the Zumba is new he could be just retaining fluid in the muscle for repair...

Just giving advice on how to lose weight even if that weigh loss is too quick is what I disagree with.
  • Achrya

5lbs in 5 weeks is good. He shouldn't be aiming for 2lbs a week. And if the Zumba is new he could be just retaining fluid in the muscle for repair...

Just giving advice on how to lose weight even if that weigh loss is too quick is what I disagree with.

Aiming for too big a deficit isn't why he isn't losing weight so to give him any advice beyond "you're eating too much. Stop that" isn't answering his question, but rather is making a judgment call about his actions he'll probably ignore anyway.

I mean he's clearly taking in too much, telling him to eat half his exercise calories while leaving everything else the same is unlikely to have him losing more than a pound or so a week anyway. I doubt he's going to suddenly cause a 1000 calorie a day deficit is he only cuts his exercise calories in half.
  • SezxyStef
    Aiming for too big a deficit isn't why he isn't losing weight so to give him any advice beyond "you're eating too much. Stop that" isn't answering his question, but rather is making a judgment call about his actions he'll probably ignore anyway.

I mean he's clearly taking in too much, telling him to eat half his exercise calories while leaving everything else the same is unlikely to have him losing more than a pound or so a week anyway. I doubt he's going to suddenly cause a 1000 calorie a day deficit is he only cuts his exercise calories in half.

Actually his questions were this...

I answered those questions with detail on how to acheive it, not the question why am I not losing weight which is not there...

...explaining to him how to assure accuracy with logging and burns is better than just telling him he's eating to much which he is more likely to ignore more because people want to be able to eat more.
  • Alright, so let me see if I can summarize all this. Is the suggestion that I cut back my calorie limit for the day or don't count zumba, or leave it how it is? If in theory I were to set the level to 1/2 to 1 pound the app would give me more calories to eat. On another note 3 weeks ago I went from 223 to 225. I then came down again to 223 until today where I went up to 226. Shouldn't I at least be losing a half pound to a pound a week at this point with my current calorie set?

I do accurately count calories. I use measuring cups, scales, and the like. In order to be at a healthy weight I do have to reach a maximum weight of 194 (I'm shooting for a comfortable level at 190) So about 30 pounds would be correct). I don't log any exercise except for zumba which I put in as 300 calories for 20 minutes.

Here is snapshot of net calories as compare to my weekly goal of 1580 since 12/14
    12/14-12/20 131 net under weekly goal
    12/21 - 12/27 -254 over weekly goal
    12/28-1/3 235 net under weekly goal
    1/4-1/10 -51 over weekly goal
    1/11 -1/17 289 net under weekly goal

Even on the two weeks that I went over it was by a small amount and would still have allowed me to lose a half pound to a pound. And in the weeks that I was under that would have more than made up for the two weeks over.
  • I can lower my calories. I'm just not sure that is the answer. I've read that men should not go below 1500 as this is necessary for normal functioning. Is that not true?
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member

Actually his questions were this...

I answered those questions with detail on how to acheive it, not the question why am I not losing weight which is not there...

...explaining to him how to assure accuracy with logging and burns is better than just telling him he's eating to much which he is more likely to ignore more because people want to be able to eat more.

Ironic Discussion is Ironic

Stalemate??:tongue:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

OP is a guy. a guy that is my height and just a little under my weight, and is eating drastically less than i do.

Funkhjam, i recommend you eat MORE. Like, at least 2000. adjust your activity level to "lightly active" and your weight loss goals to 'losing 1lb per week.'
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    I think 1500 is quite low enough for you. If you have been eating all your Zumba calories back try only eating 50% of your exercise calories back, but ensure that your net calorie intake doesn't go below 1500
  • Achrya
    Alright, so let me see if I can summarize all this. Is the suggestion that I cut back my calorie limit for the day or don't count zumba, or leave it how it is? If in theory I were to set the level to 1/2 to 1 pound the app would give me more calories to eat. On another note 3 weeks ago I went from 223 to 225. I then came down again to 223 until today where I went up to 226. Shouldn't I at least be losing a half pound to a pound a week at this point with my current calorie set?

I do accurately count calories. I use measuring cups, scales, and the like. In order to be at a healthy weight I do have to reach a maximum weight of 194 (I'm shooting for a comfortable level at 190) So about 30 pounds would be correct). I don't log any exercise except for zumba which I put in as 300 calories for 20 minutes.

Here is snapshot of net calories as compare to my weekly goal of 1580 since 12/14
    12/14-12/20 131 net under weekly goal
    12/21 - 12/27 -254 over weekly goal
    12/28-1/3 235 net under weekly goal
    1/4-1/10 -51 over weekly goal
    1/11 -1/17 289 net under weekly goal

Even on the two weeks that I went over it was by a small amount and would still have allowed me to lose a half pound to a pound. And in the weeks that I was under that would have more than made up for the two weeks over.

Well then. Considering you say you're logging accuratly with all the appropriate tools and seem to have a good understanding on how to measure what is being taken in the only answer is...you're eating too much. :wink:

Raising your calorie goal via changing your deficit amount isn't going to somehow fix that your cals in vs cals out ratio is messed up so I wouldn't be too troubled over it.
  • Achrya

OP is a guy. a guy that is my height and just a little under my weight, and is eating drastically less than i do.

Funkhjam, i recommend you eat MORE. Like, at least 2000. adjust your activity level to "lightly active" and your weight loss goals to 'losing 1lb per week.'

How is eating more going to make him lose weight? And I'm not some low calorie pusher (I lose on 1800) but mathematically that makes no sense.

Am I the only one who can see how that makes no sense?
  • SezxyStef
    I can lower my calories. I'm just not sure that is the answer. I've read that men should not go below 1500 as this is necessary for normal functioning. Is that not true?

Yah no don't lower calories if you are measuring and weighing its in your burns...

Depending on hunger 50-75% of the burns recorded is a good basis...and don't count "household activities"...just purposeful exercise.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I am 6'2" and I started with a weight of 228. I am in a position that isn't too terribly active so I set my activity at sedentary. My goal is to lose 2lbs a week. I have been a calorie counting fiend, my wife can tell you. I measure precisely. My calorie limit is 1580. I began on 12/14/13. Since then I've gone from 228 to 225 to 223 and the past 3 weeks I have stayed at 223. This weeks weigh in put me at 226. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I do exercise by doing Zumba, walking, and household activities such as hauling wood, etc. When I do those exercises, I count them in to ensure I am meeting my calorie limit.

I would advise three things:
    1) If it's something you would be doing ANYway...I.e. household activities...don't log that activity. This is stuff you were already doing BEFORE you were trying to lose weight and you weren't dropping pounds. I would only count NEW activity...the walking and Zumba that you didn't previously do. If you do some EXCESSIVELY active "regular stuff"....I.e. you help a friend move for 4 hours...you can count that.

2) If you are currently eating back all your exercise calories only eat back approximately 1/2-2/3 of them. Many users here feel the estimated calorie burns MFP lists are on the high side. If you're using those guidelines, you're probably overestimating how much you're taking off calorie wise.

3) If you aren't already, try to incorporate some degree of strength training. If you can add lean muscle, the muscle will require more energy. More energy burning = pounds dropping.

Good luck!
  • Youre eating too much. Start eating only half of exercise calories back. Give it a month, adjust as needed after that month.

How is eating more going to make him lose weight? And I'm not some low calorie pusher (I lose on 1800) but mathematically that makes no sense.

Am I the only one who can see how that makes no sense?

Okay so what would you recommend for the lower rate. What should I drop it to?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member

because MFP is NEAT method not TDEE...so the deficet is already built into the calorie goals set my MFP.

Actually it is TDEE, hence the workout intervals/time question it asks when signing up.