Calling All New Englanders!

Options
A friend and I were talking about how great it would be to get MFP members around New England together and once a month or so run/walk a race in the region. I tried going to some of the groups but they all appear to be dead, so I'm trying the forums now.

So does anyone in New England have an interest in getting a group together where we can do races, fun runs, walks around the area every so often? I thought it would be fun to travel to different parts for races myself. This is for everyone of any fitness level. Most races have accompanying walks, too. This would be a great way to socialize, help motivate and raise money for worthy charities. Additionally, I think it would be great for new runners who are a bit hesitant of jumping in to a race! If you're interested, please let me know and if there's enough interest we can start up a group.

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun! Living in NH & currently registered for the Brooklyn Half in May. I'll be in the turtle division, alternating jogging & speedwalking. Some 5Ks would be nice & also good motivators to keep training.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Awesome. My friend is also in NH!
  • scottyg70
    Options
    I guess I should have specified that in the original post...this can be any kind of race. The bigger races usually have a marathon, half, 5 or 10 K and walks. But even if everyone wanted to do a fun run, it would be nice to run a race outside the home area!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have specified that in the original post...this can be any kind of race. The bigger races usually have a marathon, half, 5 or 10 K and walks. But even if everyone wanted to do a fun run, it would be nice to run a race outside the home area!
    I think some of the smaller races would be great! That half is going to be a real stretch, & tbh am doing it b/c it's where 2 generations of my family are from. We just moved out here after several years in CA, so I'd love to have (even more) excuses to explore :-)
  • scottyg70
    Options
    Sounds good! There are a couple races in Manchester I'm looking at later in the year and there are plenty of races all over the area!
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live in MA and that sounds like it could be fun. I'm registered for the Spartan Sprint in August at the Amesbury Sports Park and the IronGirl Triathlon in Webster in July. The Spartan race is fun, but unfortunately the triathlon is for women only.....But I'm open to doing more possibly. I do have two very small children so my schedule naturally revolves around them...
  • scottyg70
    Options
    Welcome! Any race is fair game as far as I'm concerened. If it's a women only race, like the Diva Dash, then that's fine too! I'm hoping we can get enough interest that even with a gender specific race there will still be lots of participants!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I also live in MA, but just getting started and very intimidated by running or races.
  • scottyg70
    Options
    I also live in MA, but just getting started and very intimidated by running or races.

This would be great for you then! I don't plan on running marathons or anything. I love 5k's! I find them very fun to do. So can we count you in?
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm in Scotty! I'm always up for a race and meeting other local New England runners! I am running Colchester CT half then Hyannis half the next day in February not sure if this is too soon but Hyannis is a great race!
  • scottyg70
    Options
    I had a suspicion you'd be in! ;-)
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could think about biking. I don't run, but I do like to bike. It would be fun. I am in Southern Maine.
  • scottyg70
    Options
    Biking would be fine too! I'm sure there are plenty of bike rides that can be done as a group. Although I guess I should find a new bike rack. haha.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could think about biking. I don't run, but I do like to bike. It would be fun. I am in Southern Maine.

LOVE this Idea! I am totally in for a group ride too!
  • scottyg70
    Options

LOVE this Idea! I am totally in for a group ride too!

I'm pretty sure my friend (who is tied up right now) would be all for a group ride herself. Of course, I don't want to speak for her!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread, Scott. I'm also in NH and I love walking..5Ks, 10K, and half marathons. It seems like this might be a great group for an MFP group? I would definitely join! I don't travel too much but I would definitely follow the group, cheering people on and participating where I can.

I'm contemplating walking the Maine Marathon (the half) on October 5th. It's a nice course in Portland and a beautiful finisher medal.
  • scottyg70
    Options
    I am more than willing to travel, at least for an overnight. But I understand not everyone is so we can all agree on a race/ride and who makes it, makes it!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Im in MA and would be up for almost sny...with some plannimg I might be able to do an overnight
  • scottyg70
    Options
    Awesome, I like how this is growing!
  • scottyg70
    Options
    bump