What do you do on rest day?

Options
I can't figure out how to handle my rest days. I have a few training plans set up on my phone and it seems I never have a day that I am not doing something. Should I just pick a day during the week and just do as little as possible?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Sit around and not workout.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Sit around and not workout.

^^ Rest days are meant to rest. Your body needs to rest to recover.

I don't know what the intensity of your workouts is but I personally get 2 rest days a week and I sure rest and do nothing or if I really need a good stretch I'll do very light yoga, aside from that I enjoy the day off
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to handle my rest days. I have a few training plans set up on my phone and it seems I never have a day that I am not doing something. Should I just pick a day during the week and just do as little as possible?

You don't have to sit on the couch on rest day and be a bum, but you do want to give your body time to recover. Activities like walking, stretching, etc. are all fine on rest days.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I usually do Yoga or Stretch from P90X or Insanity's Recovery. It's very relaxing but at least it's something.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I play golf and don't consider any additional exercise to that - works for me :-)

If I didn't play then probably a 5m stroll as hate doing nothing.
  • NatalieArnold3
    Options
    Well, obviously a rest day is just that, a rest day. Don't workout that day, but if you feel like you must do something then stretch. Stretching is a great way to open up your muscles and let them "breathe". You can reduce soreness with stretching too. I hope I helped (:
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I usually walk everyday (2 miles with my dog), so when I am not having a workout day I am always physically doing something.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes absolutely nothing, but usually at least a nice 20 minute walk with my dogs, or maybe a short (like 15 minutes or less) bit of yoga.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    yoga is great and i also take walks even on my rest days
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love doing hot yoga on my rest days! Really helps my muscles to loosen up an recover!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The night before...

mm2.gif

The actual rest day...

cat4.gif
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I tend to still go for a walk, or do some house cleaning. I just don't do my normal workouts so as to give my muscles a rest.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I shouuld be doing a bit of cardio but i dont. I do what im not supposed to do. Eat bad and drink bad lol
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Umm it's kinda right in the name. You rest.

It doesn't have to be motionless, but if your physical activities tire you our or in any way push your limits you are doing it wrong.

Personally my rest days range from absolutely nothing to a gentle walk and some stretching to a few minutes of calisthenics. It kinda depends on how everything else is going that week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I do a light run (5k) or light ride (15-20k) or a long hike (2 hrs, 10k (ish)).
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Rest day to me means that I don't do a formal, planned, and strenuous workout (be it cardio or strength)

Bit it's not like I'm gonna say "oop, can't clean the garage and work up a sweat, it's my rest day!" .. I might still ride my bike to the store because well .. I like to ride my bike to the store ... etc.

It certainly does not mean you actually rest all day. You just live your life like normal without forcing that formal workout on yourself, or forcing yourself not to have the formal workout, depending on how you view workouts.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The night before...

mm2.gif

The actual rest day...

cat4.gif

This... possibly this...

honey_boo_boo6_large.gif
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The night before...

mm2.gif

The actual rest day...

cat4.gif

Love it! Pretty much this. Don't let rest days make you feel guilty. You are helping yourself in the long run. I just let my rest days flow however they happen to. If I have extra time and feel like stretching, doing yoga or pilates or going for a walk, then I do it. But I don't worry about it if I don't. I just enjoy them for what they are.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My BF is on a backwards schedule from me- and lives 2 hrs away- he comes down on his weekend- which is Wed/Thursday. So I build my rest days on that- and I spend my time with him.

Sometimes we "do" stuff. Most of the time We go food shopping cook a meal together- spend some us time and I get to bed early. It's easier to "do nothing" when I am spending time with someone else- even if that means going to the zoo and walking for 2 hrs- it's still a "down" day for me.

rest- relax- do something you love (I use the time to catch up on laundry and sewing projects)