That time of the month...an excuse or legitimate?

Options

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    If your cramping is really severe, there's one way of dealing with it (though your grandma will object :wink: ): get your nose pierced. Seriously. When done on the left nostril, the piercing sits on an Ayurvedic pressure point and will relieve menstrual cramps (and labor pains, BTW).

This is fascinating!!! I wish I'd known that as a teenager/in college-- I might have dared to get the nose stud I so dearly wanted!!!
  • ashantiallen96
    ashantiallen96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know that sometimes my sister will not exercise during her period, but i only miss exercise during the first two days of my period when i get lethal cramps. I typically get very nauseous during the first few days, so unless i have ibuprofen i only exercise the remaining 3 days out of the 5 days i'm going through it. I remember once trying to exercise before work since i heard that it can levitate cramping and i was out of ibuprofen. I would NEVER make that mistake again. For some reason the cramping became unbearable and i had to call out otherwise i would be puking everywhere. But with ibuprofen i exercise like normal :)
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have always had rough periods. Before my daughter I had short but extremely painful periods and after her and having and IUD implanted I have long, sometime extremely long, moderately painful periods.

I have found cardio workouts on my period actually helps with cramps and other pains. Lifting helps but doesn't seem to have as good as effect as cardio. Sometimes I switch my workouts around to do cardio on my heaviest, more painful days and move the lifting to lighter, less painful days.

Unless you have a serious case of something crazy related to your period, I think not working out because you are experiencing what every other fertile woman on the planet experiences once a month is an excuse and a lousy one at that. But that's just my opinion.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Menopause never looked so appealing as when you're shedding your insides.

here! here!

I cant WAIT for bloody menopause! every month i wished id made an appointment the month before to have my ovaries ripped out.....
    i hate my tom, always have, always will, but i still walk to the shops even though i have zero energy and feel like hell and my gorgeous husband always offers ibuprofen and comfort.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Well I have an active job (lawn care/tree removal) and can't take time off eat month because I have PMS... If I can go to work, I can workout.

Honestly, it happens every month. I have dealt with it since I was 14. Cramps, headaches, fatigue, stomach ache ect. The world doesn't stop so neither do I. It is an excuse IMO (unless there are severe medical issues).
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    3-5 days I rest and take it easy as it's personally very uncomfortable for me. I'm still in a deficit most of the time so it's fine. I don't think it's an excuse for myself as I am really tired in that week and whenever I did exercise, it caused my cramps to hurt more.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Men might not want to keep reading if they are squeamish! So it is almost my time of the month and I get extremely painful cramps and other side effects. Usually I am so fatigued that I truly cannot get the energy to do almost anything, especially exercising. Do you guys (girls!) work out on your period? If you do, how do you deal with cramps / fatigue? I also have a bad habit of overeating on my period. Again it's the same old "I can do whatever I want because this is living hell and my insides are being ripped apart" excuse.

Any advice for not falling off the bandwagon for a week every month?

a recent study found periods are no more painful than paper cuts, for more info go to www.dramaqueen.com
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Men might not want to keep reading if they are squeamish! So it is almost my time of the month and I get extremely painful cramps and other side effects. Usually I am so fatigued that I truly cannot get the energy to do almost anything, especially exercising. Do you guys (girls!) work out on your period? If you do, how do you deal with cramps / fatigue? I also have a bad habit of overeating on my period. Again it's the same old "I can do whatever I want because this is living hell and my insides are being ripped apart" excuse.

a recent study found periods are no more painful than paper cuts, for more info go to www.dramaqueen.com

So obviously a male. I don't even have to check your profile.
  • hilts1969
    Options

So obviously a male. I don't even have to check your profile.

harsh but fair
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I am curious about the method used to measure "pain level"...
  • hilts1969
    Options

periods were classed as a 2/10 paper cuts were 4/10 with an a4 sheet of paper on the index finger
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

periods were classed as a 2/10 paper cuts were 4/10 with an a4 sheet of paper on the index finger

Even if this were true, paper cuts don't hurt for a week. Nice try, though.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

It wasn't even a nice try. Unless he was just passing on what his 10-year-old son said to tell us. It's an average joke for a kid that age, maybe.
  • hilts1969
    Options

it wasn't based on length more on pain tolerance, it also found that most period pains seemed to affect woman on a friday or monday whereas paper cuts could inflict people randomly between monday through friday
  • hilts1969
    Options

It wasn't even a nice try. Unless he was just passing on what his 10-year-old son said to tell us. It's an average joke for a kid that age, maybe.

children tend to depress me in fairness, i tend to avoid them where possible
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Paper cuts don't make me curl up in the fetal position and want to cry sometimes either.
  • hilts1969
    Options

Paper cuts don't make me curl up in the fetal position and want to cry sometimes either.

Us men laugh in the face of pain, that is why women never go to war, world war two would still be going on if we had period and chocolate breaks
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

Us men laugh in the face of pain, that is why women never go to war, world war two would still be going on if we had period and chocolate breaks

Mmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmm......please copy and paste the link below and watch this lovely little video. These guys were laughing. For a little bit.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WlU2lmzzpxQ
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
  • hilts1969
    Options

i refuse to copy and paste can't you do it it where i can just click on it, i am a very busy man