Runners: How cold is to cold?

Options

Replies

• BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've been running 3 times this week in 10 degree weather with a windchill bringing it close to 0. The key is to dress in layers. Under Armor and Nike make some great cold weather gear. A balaclava is also a big help, covers the neck and head.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Personally, I'll go down to about 25"F. Acording to competitor.com the answer is -17"F. - http://goo.gl/ByPLOQ
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to bike in 60-something degree weather a few months back. I'd have to think that would be the lowest I could go. If my fingers are hurting from the cold or my legs are numb, then it's too cold. If it's windy, there's no way in the world I'd do it.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    20F or less won't happen for me (with or without wind chill). It was a brisk -2 this morning here (normally we average 37F in central Ohio this time of year). Needless to say I saw no one out for a morning jog and my neighborhood is jogging obsessed.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So far the coldest I have run in is 15F with a windchill around 0F. I finished my planned run, but didn't like it. The forecast for tomorrow's 10k is 13F with 18 mph wind and a windchill of -3F. I'm planning on lots of layers :)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I tend to heat up pretty well so runnin down to about 10 deg is not an issue after I get started...I HATE the treadmill. the worst part for me here in PA is not the cold its the ice and snow and having to watch i dont break my *kitten*! did I mention I hate the treadmill!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    About "feels like" 15F is my limit, but I'm likely still going to do my long run on Saturday even though it will "feel like" 10F. I just can't do 11 miles on the treadmill.

I'm not doing 11 miles, but avoiding the treadmill is normally my motivating factor.

Agreed. Single digit temps is usually my limit, but I might bundle up and tough it out for a longer run, just to avoid the treadmill. Anything over 45 minutes on the treadmill is rough for me. Other things such as wind and ice also factor into the decision though.
  • livingmylegacy
    Options
    I LOVE running in cold weather! And I don't get it as much as I want being in South Carolina. My favorite time to run is early in the mornings before the sun comes up when it's below freezing. I heat up so much during the run that the cold doesn't both me a bit. In fact, it usually feels really nice.

Now, I haven't had the opportunity to run in anything much lower than 15F, so I'm not sure if I'd enjoy that as much.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'll go down to about 25"F. Acording to competitor.com the answer is -17"F. - http://goo.gl/ByPLOQ

Unless I am dressed 100% head to toe like an Eskimo or have magically turned into a penguin that is not happening.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina so I haven't actually experienced a "too cold" day. The coldest I've run in here is 5 degrees, a couple weeks ago. With enough layers, I was fine. I didn't even have to break out the ski gear. I think I actually have enough clothing that I could run comfortably down to about minus 10. But I guess I'll have to wait and see if that is really true -- or take a trip to Minnesota in the winter!
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is 0 or -10 windchill. The coldest I've gone out was 2 and windchill of -8. One thing I can say about running when it's that cold, I run much faster!
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't really like to run in weather under 40 degrees, but I will tolerate and make myself run in the 30's. I will not run in anything under 30 degrees....that said, I have friends in the north east that are ROCKSTARS and running in 1 degree weather!!! Yay for them! :)
  • DeputySox
    Options
    0* is my cutoff temperature for outdoor runs.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weli, Tuesday was -27°C (-36°C with the windchill) and I had a very enjoyable run despite the icicles hanging from my eyebrows.

It's all a matter of dressing appropriately. Merino wool base layer, extra warm merino wool socks, balaclava etc.

For me it's not so much an issue of temperature but running conditions. I won't run outside after freezing rain and anything that significantly impacts visibility (heavy snowfall / blizzard) will persuade me to either run on my dreadmill or re-arrange my schedule.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    For me it is more about the icy roads.

This... I'm not worried about the temp.. not much difference between 0 and -10 or whatnot.. I'll layer up like a normally do, but I don't want to slip on a hill or something and shatter a knee, foot, whatever. (I actually prefer it, no people, no dogwalkers, no baby strollers, etc taking up the entire sidewalk, I have the whole place to myself ) :bigsmile:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm still building my running wardrobe, so below 20F is about it for me. I'd like to get some better pairs of running tights and something to cover my face, and then I'd probably be willing to do colder. My problem is that I do walk/run intervals, so once I get sweaty it gets COLD to drop down to a walk.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    right now my issue is with how light it is outside. The temp doesn't get to me cause I warm up after a few minutess. Of course I live where people start to freak out about the cold once it hits 39
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    There is no "too cold" -20F so far this year. Nothing's gonna keep me from getting outside. Life's too short for that.
    Layer up & enjoy!
    (oh, and on icy days...Stabilicers!)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If I am in a situation where I have to train (marathon) I'll run down to single digits or 0F as long as the wind isnt too crazy.

If there's not real need to run, then I'll usually avoid running below 20F. Today though I plan to run and it will be low teens, but I'm also bordering on "having" to run. I'm in half training and can't be letting it slide much longer just because its a little chilly.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Was -40 when I started my meager 5K run last night... At that temp its too cold to walk.

Like others have said before... its how you dress and layer your apparel that makes it possible.

Solid moisture wicking base layer
    Insulating fleece middle layer
    Heavy wind resistant outer layer.
    Balaclava
    Mitts
    Hat over the balaclava

and duct tape over the shoes.

Piece of cake.:wink: