Rowing Machine

Options
I have been using the rowing machine in my gym more and more recently and am really enjoying it, it feels like it's a great exercise to me as it's legs/bum, arms and core. Do you think it's a good piece of exercise equipment? also, I dont always get time to do my weights (I try for 2-3 times per week) as it takes so much longer and I am often in the gym before work so kind of restricted, will using the rower help tone my arms/upper back? I feel like it probably is already so might be answering my own questions :smile:

Replies

• Kevster75
    Options
    Yes!!
    I'm also a rowing fan... and it does exercise arms/legs and core.
    It's also a good cobmination of strength and cardio.

Do you row for a fixed time, or a fixed distance?

I always row 2km, and try to beat my fastest time.
  • kizzyt
    kizzyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    tha's great, I though so!! I do distance too, depends how long I have got and what else I have done etc but this morning I did 2400 in about 11.5 mins, I average just under 200m per minute at the moment so I try to better that each time :) I feel like my stamina is increasing though, I used to have to stop for a bit during it but lately I just keep going. I also used to push it too hard to start with and then slow down but now I maintain a decent pace right the way through
  • Kevster75
    Options
    You do need to pace yourself, but keep pushing... it's an amazing workout..

Great Jaaaaaaaaaab! ;) hehe
    :laugh:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are using a Concept 2 rower. They are great machines and it's a great exercise. It's not really a substitute for strength training (you will feel some firming up at first, but that's just your body adapting to the movement--it will plateau fairly quickly), but it might meet your overall needs for the time being.

If you find you want to make rowing your primary cardio exercise, then start thinking about structuring your program like you would any other cardio piece. Rather than trying to do a better speed/performance every time, break up your week into easy endurance workouts, medium tempo workouts and harder interval workouts. You'll see more sustained progress, better improvement in endurance, and the performance increases as well.

There are a lot of resources and some training plans at the C2 website--www.concept2.com. Rowers (or "ergers") have their own culture and you should be able to find a lot of support.
  • kizzyt
    kizzyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info, that's really helpful!