Low Carb Muffin - the base recipe

Options
BaoCat
BaoCat Posts: 42
So I've been playing with low carb muffins and here's my current 'base'. It's not perfect, but for anyone wanting to try a low carb one, it's been a fun experimental 'base' to play with.

Yeah... you have to invest in some different flours. Sorry. And it's not gluten free, because I'm adding gluten in.

1/2 c. Lowfat Soy Flour (Bob's Red Mill)*
1/4 c. Golden ground flaxseed
1/4 c. Almond Meal**
1 T vital wheat gluten
1 T Baking Powder
<insert dry spices here, as desired>

Mix / sift all dry stuff well

2 eggs
1 c. low carb milk
1/4 c. SF Torani Syrup of choice - or - liquid splenda to taste
2 T oil (I prefer coconut oil)
<insert extracts or capella drops here>

Current additions -- capella Amaretto drops, liquid splenda, Hershey's SF chocolate chips (3 T), 1 tsp Cake Spice, slightly more milk to offset the loss of the syrup.

Fill to the top 6 muffin cups. Unless you tweak the leavening ingrediants so it raises more, then you won't want it so full.

Bake 350 - check at 15 minutes, then every few minutes until done.

The batter is pretty thick and doesn't raise much, but has a nice texture when baked. Holds up well to being split and toasted in a toaster oven the next day. Good with coffee.

With my ingrediants, it breaks down to about 195 cals a muffin, 7 carbs, 4 fiber, 13 fat, 11 protein. 3 net carbs per filling muffin.

Anyway... the mix of flours seems to help neutralize the soy flavor and it's such a small recipe, if you have a failure, you didn't invest much time / effort / ingrediants in it.

* Note - the only reason I'm using the lowfat soy is: I bought some to try and it seems more 'mild' to me in smell / taste than the full fat soy flour. Maybe it is or isn't. It was also slightly lower in carbs.

** Also tried 1/4 c Carbquik instead of Almond flour/meal. Worked fine, gave it a bit more of a bisquick kinda texture.

Considering adding a bit of Oat Fiber to the next batch, to see if it gives it more 'fluff'. It should reduce the density a bit, but I don't want to dry it out.

Anyway - if you don't mind a little experimenting to get it to what YOU like - ENJOY!

*** Oh yeah, and I make no claims to this being a unique recipe soley created by me. I've been looking at SOOO many lately, this is a derivitive of many, tweaked to fit what's in my cupboard. ***