Anybody using IIFYM or repairing/repaired their metabolism?

Hey Guys! I'm in the process of repairing my metabolism and then gonna hop on the IIFYM plan for weight/fat loss? Has anybody used IIFYM for weight loss (the opinion of women is highly appreciated!) Also, has anyone had to go through metabolic repair? If so what did you do and how long did it take? FEEL FREE TO ADD ME :-)

Thanks,
Emmy

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    If your aim is metabolic repair and you're going to do IIFYM anyway, you may as well start now.

I went through a long period of time where I couldn't eat very much unmedicated (gallstones/acute pancreatitis from gallstones, I had severe pain lasting for days when I ate anything more than clear liquids) and it ruined my sense of hunger, my sleep patterns and my metabolism.

Post-surgery I went right into eating IIFYM style and slowly increased my calories until I was consistently hitting 1900-2000 calories a day.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I guess that is me.. i was eating vlcd for quite a while.. I follow my diet of choice, but slowly raised calories to where i'm at now .. 1600-1700 took a year. Might still be lower then optimal, but hey Rome wasn't built in a day. I've stalled, I've gained and I've lost. But overall I've lost more. Christmas cookies did me in, but i'm getting that back too. Currently i'm only 30 pounds from what doctors say is my ideal weight.

I would increase slowly, keep exercising, drink a lot of water, make sure you get enough sleep and eat primarily healthy foods that you prepare yourself.
  • This looks interesting but on finding a calculator and seeing what macros it advises it seems very much like a low carb, ketogentic type diet which I've tried before and I got really sick on.

I am veggie and that makes all that protein and fat difficult to consume and when I did it I got sick. I do need to improve my protein intake though.

How does IIIFYM repair your metabolism?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    This looks interesting but on finding a calculator and seeing what macros it advises it seems very much like a low carb, ketogentic type diet which I've tried before and I got really sick on.

I am veggie and that makes all that protein and fat difficult to consume and when I did it I got sick. I do need to improve my protein intake though.

How does IIIFYM repair your metabolism?

IIFYM (if it fits your macros) can be anything, but is typically moderate to high carbs, so it would actually suit you as a vegetarian if followed properly.

You can basically divvy up your macros as it suits you and your goals, as long as it stays within your calorie allowance.

IIFYM specifically doesn't repair your metabolism, eating more than your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and/or closer to your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) does.

ETA: when dividing up your macros, you should keep RDIs in mind. Anything less than 50-60g of protein is way too little. I would say a good protein goal is around 80-90g for most people, unless they're doing hard training.