Almond Milk Diabetic Exchange

Options
Can anyone tell me which category unsweetened almond milk falls into on the diabetic exchange list? I've searched online and just can't seem to find this information. Thanks!

Replies

• TXAPPLE73
    Options
    I drink almond milk, and I think it's more of a 1 protein exchange. There should be information on the label. I drink the Silk Almond milk, without any flavoring.
  • juleschristenberry
    Options
    Silk is the brand I use, too. I use the unsweetened vanilla. Thanks for the tip. I couldn't believe there's no information out there regarding this. Or if there is I don't know how to find it, lol. I wondered if it might fall under meat substitutes/protein.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Stoneyfield organic almond milk has 150 calories per cup !! YIKES !! gotta read those labels .. Buy the SILK UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Great question! The diabetic exchanges are developed based on the carbohydrate, protein and fat content of one serving of a food. One cup of cow's milk contains 12 grams carbohydrate, 8 grams protein and then the fat varies: 0 for skim milk, 5g for low-fat or 2% milk, and 8g for whole milk.

The nutrition composition of almond milk will vary depending on the flavoring and sweetener. Almond milk is also lower in protein than cow's milk, so look at the carbohydrate content to help guide your choice. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Great question! The diabetic exchanges are developed based on the carbohydrate, protein and fat content of one serving of a food. One cup of cow's milk contains 12 grams carbohydrate, 8 grams protein and then the fat varies: 0 for skim milk, 5g for low-fat or 2% milk, and 8g for whole milk.

The nutrition composition of almond milk will vary depending on the flavoring and sweetener. Almond milk is also lower in protein than cow's milk, so look at the carbohydrate content to help guide your choice. ~Lynn /Glucerna

Great response.

I drink Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla and there is only 1 g protein, 1 g carbs, and 0 g sugar per serving.