What are some good exercises for belly fat and flabby arms?

Options
So I made it thru the weekend, with a 1/2 pound loss, which is victorious! I have never really worked out alot...Mainly just walking, on a treadmill, or around the neighborhood, and I've done callanetics..but I need some good firming exercises...I have had 5 babies and my stomach area is my most problem..and also, I would love to tone up and lose weight in my arms, you know, the flabby part that jiggles underneath?? I hate that!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• tishamarieann
    Options
    Turbo Fire or turbo jam, is a combinatin of kickboxing and dance, you use your arms for everything, punching threwout the entire dvd's, nothing will ever get them completely perfect if you lose alot of weight but this is def a great way to get your arms in shape they dont rest no matter what the excercise is, she keeps you moving!!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I noticed my arms firming a little in yoga...probably from plank pose. (Think a push up but don't move up and down, just stay up. ) I would welcome any other exercises like that which can be done without purchasing a tape. I have the same issue!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So to adress the title, there's really no exercise that will do anything for belly fat specifically, as you can't target where the body takes it's fat from, you just have to maintain your cardio exercise levels which will help (to a degree) with burning excess calories, some of which will be from body fat.

You CAN, however, strengthen the muscles under that subcutaneous fat by doing a whole host of core exercises (it's important to not just work the abdominals as an unbalanced core can be worse for you than a weak core by pulling your spine out of alignment). Luckilly the core is a small muscle group and can be added in twice or three times weekly to almost any routine in 10 to 15 minutes with outstanding results. Things like crunches and bicycle crunches will work the abs and the obliques, planks are great for a isometric routine, exercise ball sit ups and bosu ball exercises are also wonderful. Things like hip raises and leg lifts are good for the lower back, and russian twists or the oblique machine are good for your "side" muscles. Also, static exercises like pilates and Yoga are both very good for firming up "flabby" core muscles.

As to the "wings" ladies (and some guys) can develop under the arms, well generally any well thought out arm and shoulder routine with moderate weights will work wonders, things like tricep extensions, tricep pull downs, and skull crushers are all good for the tricep reigon, as well as curls, hammer curls, and pushups (for negative resistance, works both the tricep and bicep, as well as the pectoral muscles and lats).

It's important to note, you should, at the very least, look up proper form for all of these exercises and breathing techniques, as improper form can be worse for you than not doing anything at all (muscle strains or tears, ligament damage...etc.). Usually I recommend a single session (or two or three) with a personal trainer just to get the form. Also, at least at the beginning it's a good idea to do the exercises in front of a mirror. I know what people say about people doing their "curls" in front of the mirror, but they put them their for a reason, they are vital for proper form, it's why you see experienced weight trainers still using them, it's NOT (well, for most of us) just because we like to look at our bodies, we do really use them for form. :wink:

Anyway, that's the long and short of fat loss and targeted muscle groups. You can look up any of the exercises I mentioned on line for a complete description, with arms and shoulders, usually twice a week with a couple of days off in between is plenty, 3 times a week is a max if your body can fully recover in between.

Hope this helps

-Banks
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    yoga, downward dog, high push up, low push up and cobra/upward dog for the arms, and the ab exercises in yoga for the stomach and just all over core strength.

5lb free weights (you can also improvise weights) for the arms and there's a lot of examples of free weight arm exercises on the net. for the jiggly parts, recommend looking up tricep freeweight exercises, but balance it out with bicep free weight exercises, Veoh.com has some yoga routines on it that can be downloaded or watched for free, you'll have to search through them though.
  • cbuggin22
    cbuggin22 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone or iPod touch you can download an app called Fitness Pro. It's free and shows lots of different exercises with and without weights. It does not have videos or demos it just shows pictures, but I like it because it gives me new ideas and I can change things up. It's a great app if you are like me and never really did any thing but cardio. I had really no clue about what kind of lifting to do or how to do it. Try it!
  • shell1205
    Options
    Bump for later... some great ideas for my dreaded c-section pouch and bat wings!! :ohwell: