Do you get sick easier now that you've lost weight?

Options
Please tell me I'm not the only one. Since I've lost weight I get sicker easier and seem to have more health problems such as knee pops all the time and gets stiff, I take vitamins because my doctor said I'm not getting the proper nutrients and it's not uncommon for me to catch the common cold quite easily.

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I actually get sick less frequently now and when I have gotten sick I recover from it much quicker Make sure you are getting your proper nutrition it does help.
  • skyrunher
    skyrunher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't get sicker easier and been feeling better since I've started to lose weight but I have to admit I get cold a lot faster then I used to!
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS COLD now lol. I don't understand why I get sick so much easier now. Vitamins help but sometimes I still feel run down or even look sickly.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It's about the same for me since losing weight, but I am cold all the time now.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm not done losing but since I started, I have not been sick at all. I used to miss a day or two of work a month becuase of something, migranes, stomach problems, cramps.... But not since I started losing!
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't want to jinx myself, but I was just saying to my boyfriend today that I can't remember the last time I've been sick since restarting my healthy eating/working out. This is coming from someone who has had respiratory problems and has gotten strep at least once a year like clockwork, so it's great to not have gotten sick (yet) in a while!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I get sick less now that my nutrition is so much better.

and NEVER in my 45 years of fat sweatyness did I ever think I would say this but I am cold frequently.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS COLD now lol. I don't understand why I get sick so much easier now. Vitamins help but sometimes I still feel run down or even look sickly.

I'm always cold too lol, but I haven't been sick since I started losing the weight. This year+ has been the longest I've ever gone without antibiotics and steroids for some nasty illness.

*knocks on wood*
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    It's actually the opposite for me. I used to get 3-4 colds per year and since I started MFP 16 months ago, I haven't been sick once. I am cold all the time though, but I've always been that way.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I feel physically better, but yes, I have been getting sick more.

I eat a ton of whole foods, very balanced diet, and take a multivitamin. So I have been chalking it up to just a rough fall and winter. And my daughter started kindergarten so I blame her for sharing germs. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold too but research shows that helps build brown fat ( the good kind). I hope it is true. I have gotten sick much less often since losing weight. I think the better nutrition and trying to squeeze as much nutrition out of every calorie as I can has improved my immune system.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't notice that I'm sicker now more than before, but I do get colder easier.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Please tell me I'm not the only one. Since I've lost weight I get sicker easier...

Exact opposite here. I can't seem to get sick at all, even when people around me are dropping like flies.

That said, my weight loss has been accompanied by a massive improvement in cardio fitness, so can't really separate the factors at play.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find that I get sick less often. In fact, I'm pretty prone to headaches. It is normal for me to have a headache almost daily. However since I started to lose weight and working out (August), I've had maybe 2 or 3 headaches. Just that fact alone makes this whole journey worth it. :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am COLD all the time! Soon, I will be wearing sweaters in July. That said, the opposite is true for me, I haven't been sick in the two years since I started losing weight. I think it has more to do with the exercise and body awareness than actually nutrition or weight loss, but I am not sure.

Sorry that you are getting sick more. Maybe your gym is "germy"!
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    Yes, I get sick a lot now. Almost never got sick before. My diet went from garbage to pretty healthy (OK- really healthy).

Yes, I am freezing all the time. My electric bill was huge the last 3 months.
  • bagpuss66
    bagpuss66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't been sick at all since I started losing weight, the odd cold, but otherwise really well. I do feel the cold now though, thermal vests are my new best friends!
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    No!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Please tell me I'm not the only one. Since I've lost weight I get sicker easier and seem to have more health problems such as knee pops all the time and gets stiff, I take vitamins because my doctor said I'm not getting the proper nutrients and it's not uncommon for me to catch the common cold quite easily.

This is probably why you are getting sick all the time.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Actually No I don't get sick that often, just seasonal allergies nothing big. I feel better being healthy!