I don't eat enough calories

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, that means you gained it by overeating calories. Pick some foods that you like that are high calorie and eat them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Azra124
    Azra124 Posts: 39
    Options
    I've seriously been attempting to lose weight since the 16th of January. I only started to log my foods two days ago...

I wasn't eating much already, so what you see in my diary is pretty much the same amount of calories I've been eating before.

I don't think I'm anorexic and I don't feel bad or anything. Do I really need to see a doctor?
  • sam_m187
    sam_m187 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't like to eat for the sake of eating, generally I can hit about 1200 a day but because I'm exercising my net is crazy low. My average this week was 366 net I've managed to up it to avg net 506 by having slightly bigger portions today, but I'm finding it really hard to keep up there... I honestly don't think I can reach my BMF without almost doubling what I eat, and I don't want to be doing that when I don't feel hungry for it.

Suggestions welcome for me too please!

S.

If your net calories are crazy low then maybe eat some of the foods that you ate before you decided to lose weight. Failing that there are many calorie dense foods to add in to your diet such as olive oil, nuts and nut butters, avocado etc The calories do add up pretty quickly

I think nuts might be a winner for me to up the calories a bit. I hadn't really been looking at my 'net' calories until today to be honest. I had been focusing on what I was eating and making sure I had exercised , but looking now it's far too low... One day this week week my net was 150! My peak net is today which is 847. At least it's an improvement I guess.
  • Azra124
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of junk and fast food.
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I seem to run into the same. I max on the carbs (low anyway) fats, sugar and proteins as I watch them but at the end of the day I am still 500-600 calories to short . LOL,
    I used this http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to calculate it.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    According to your diary, you are eating almost nothing.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't like to eat for the sake of eating, generally I can hit about 1200 a day but because I'm exercising my net is crazy low. My average this week was 366 net I've managed to up it to avg net 506 by having slightly bigger portions today, but I'm finding it really hard to keep up there... I honestly don't think I can reach my BMF without almost doubling what I eat, and I don't want to be doing that when I don't feel hungry for it.

Suggestions welcome for me too please!

S.

If your net calories are crazy low then maybe eat some of the foods that you ate before you decided to lose weight. Failing that there are many calorie dense foods to add in to your diet such as olive oil, nuts and nut butters, avocado etc The calories do add up pretty quickly

I think nuts might be a winner for me to up the calories a bit. I hadn't really been looking at my 'net' calories until today to be honest. I had been focusing on what I was eating and making sure I had exercised , but looking now it's far too low... One day this week week my net was 150! My peak net is today which is 847. At least it's an improvement I guess.

You do also need to be careful that your calorie burn figures are accurate, it is easy to over estimate by some way using the MFP figures, either due to their inaccuracy or picking the wrong intensity level
  • Azra124
    Options

:embarassed: Yeeaahhh, well...like I said, I've been eating like that for a while now. I only just started adding exercise on 1/16/2014. When I started putting my food into my diary on MFP, I was kind of alarmed at how many calories I really needed...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Pretty easy to make high calorie shakes and bars.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    To be honest if you've eaten that low calorie for a long time your maintenance is going to be much lower than what it should be. Your body is used to running off little calorie so even though lets say your maintenance is 1600, but you've only eaten 1,000 calories a day typically... you will gain weight even at let's say 1300.

I don't want to scare you with this, but you're going to have to reverse diet back up and the exercise you've recently added will help keep the fat gain minimal, but you should also be gaining muscle at the same time (if you're weight training) This happens to anyone who consistently eats low calorie for extended periods of time.

You want to gradually walk your calories up. If you're confused on what I'm referring look up "Reverse dieting" and you might be linked to figure / bodybuilders sites and videos because when they're getting ready for shows they eat pretty low calories for a long time and need to reverse diet to get back to normal.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

:embarassed: Yeeaahhh, well...like I said, I've been eating like that for a while now. I only just started adding exercise on 1/16/2014. When I started putting my food into my diary on MFP, I was kind of alarmed at how many calories I really needed...

The point is, it IS a problem.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, I need to eat more calories per day. I find that it's really hard to do that. I'm not hungry, so I don't eat. Is it okay that I don't eat as much as they tell me to or no? And if it's bad, does anyone have any ideas on foods for me to eat when I'm under my required amount?

You need to give more info regarding height weight age etc, my biggest problem with MFP is the posters who throw all common sense out of the window, everything is a guide, i personally couldn't care less what some computer program tells me what my BMR or TDEE is, i don't care how many calories my 30 minutes loses me. i eat and run and if i lose weight fine, if a add weight i eat less/better

people are obsessed with figures, use common sense and work it out, don't get life changing advice from people on here a lot of them are beyond anal
  • Azra124
    Options
    To be honest if you've eaten that low calorie for a long time your maintenance is going to be much lower than what it should be. Your body is used to running off little calorie so even though lets say your maintenance is 1600, but you've only eaten 1,000 calories a day typically... you will gain weight even at let's say 1300.

I don't want to scare you with this, but you're going to have to reverse diet back up and the exercise you've recently added will help keep the fat gain minimal, but you should also be gaining muscle at the same time (if you're weight training) This happens to anyone who consistently eats low calorie for extended periods of time.

You want to gradually walk your calories up. If you're confused on what I'm referring look up "Reverse dieting" and you might be linked to figure / bodybuilders sites and videos because when they're getting ready for shows they eat pretty low calories for a long time and need to reverse diet to get back to normal.
    Thanks. I'll try and start taking in more...
  • Amiwil
    Amiwil Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    :laugh: isn't it hilarious we come on this site to lose weight and then finding the calories to eat becomes difficult? I love it! Lol well, think of something you've wanted for a long while and fit it into your calorie count. When is the last time you had a slice of pie or cake? Figure out a serving and how many calories it is then go to town! Or have a yummy pizza slice, that's a quick 300 cals for lunch...450 if you add the pepperoni!

Good luck
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hunger pangs are not an accurate indicator.. Your body could still need fuel. If you ignore the hunger pangs for too long, your brain may just stop sending you he signal. Why send the signal if you're not going to listen?

Once you figure out your MFP calorie goal (your height, weight, and age are needed to estimate it. that's why people are asking for it), you need to remember to treat your calorie goal as a... well, GOAL. It's like the Price is Right. Get as close as you can without going over. Do that for 6-8 weeks and see what happens to your weight (since your starting calorie goal is an estimate) and adjust as needed. Exercise calories are questionable. MFP tends to overestimate for me. I would recommend eating 50-80% of them back, and then, like I said, continue this for 6-8 weeks and see what happens to your weight.

Best of luck to you!
  • hilts1969
    Options
    Hunger pangs are not an accurate indicator.. Your body could still need fuel. If you ignore the hunger pangs for too long, your brain may just stop sending you he signal. Why send the signal if you're not going to listen?

Once you figure out your MFP calorie goal (your height, weight, and age are needed to estimate it. that's why people are asking for it), you need to remember to treat your calorie goal as a... well, GOAL. It's like the Price is Right. Get as close as you can without going over. Do that for 6-8 weeks and see what happens to your weight (since your starting calorie goal is an estimate) and adjust as needed. Exercise calories are questionable. MFP tends to overestimate for me. I would recommend eating 50-80% of them back, and then, like I said, continue this for 6-8 weeks and see what happens to your weight.

Best of luck to you!

Do not eat back your exercise calories worst advice ever, all you have to do to is put in your food intake and adjust depending on your weight loss/gain, it is that simple
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've seriously been attempting to lose weight since the 16th of January. I only started to log my foods two days ago...

I wasn't eating much already, so what you see in my diary is pretty much the same amount of calories I've been eating before.

I don't think I'm anorexic and I don't feel bad or anything. Do I really need to see a doctor?

How much do you weight? How tall are you? What is your goal?

You are not eating enough w/ only 400 calories not burned.. to low dear!!
  • Barro627
    Barro627 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hope that you find this film as valuable as I have.
    It's a life changer...changed mine.
    Eat Fast and Live Longer by Dr Michael Mosley.
    This is a life changer.
    I'm 27 lbs plus down and all vitals normal.
    All the best,
    Barry
  • Azra124
    Options

I'm not sure but I think I'm 170lbs (probably less, now). I don't have a scale. I think I'm 5'7'' or 5'6''. My goal is to lose 50lbs, but I'm more interested in losing inches. Eventually, I want to fit my old pants ranging from size 7 to 00.
  • hilts1969
    Options

I'm not sure but I think I'm 170lbs (probably less, now). I don't have a scale. I think I'm 5'7'' or 5'6''. My goal is to lose 50lbs, but I'm more interested in losing inches. Eventually, I want to fit my old pants ranging from size 7 to 00.

you on a wind up?