Only on Day 5, but success already!

Options
I started my new life this past Monday, I am already feeling 100% better than I did this time last weekend! Because of some medical issues I've had to start slowly with exercise, and at times I've thought what I am doing is quite pathetic compared to some of your workouts. But I have to listen to my body and for right now go with each day trying to move more than the day before. Today was especially thrilling for me because for the first time in a very long time I feel stronger physically, which means more to me than any of you could ever know. I have a very long road ahead of me, but I'm excited about the journey.

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) and congrats on a great start already !! :)
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    great job :)
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello Victoria,

Don't feel bad about a slow start to be honest everyone starts slow. I use a rowing machine last January when I started all I could do was a pathetic 1 minute....1 minute I felt terrible about that but I kept doing my 1 minute until I was strong enough to do two and three it was slow but I got better and stronger. So just keep it going and don't ever feel inadequate for doing exercise because just the fact that you are moving is fabulous....So WELL DONE! On the weight loss and the steps to exercise. :smile:
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Seriously... go at your own pace with regards to exercise. If you are working on your diet to start with- stick with that and when you can work in exercise, do so...

Everyone will have different opinions, like you need to burn XXX number of calories or do this for XXX minutes to get a burn going.

Find out what works for you -- if you do 3 10 minute walks, that is 30 minutes there - don't worry about speed or burning calories... just start moving when you are ready.

Keep going and keep improving :smile:
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I know how you feel.

I am starting off slow with exercise due to health problems but I am still seeing the benefits along with healthy eating. Can't believe how rubbish I used to feel after eating junk compared to this.

Keep going :) You're doing great.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Enjoy and celebrate all the little successes along the way. Now a very important thing to remember is never compare yourself to anyone else. Can I workout more than you right now sure I can I've been working up to it for a year now, can others do more than I can of course. What you should compare is am I better than I was yesterday, and tomorrow I want to be better than I was today.

When you worry your workouts aren't much - losing the weight comes from your calorie deficit, the exercise helps health, strength, and looking good! My first exercise was standing up every hour for 5 minutes, that's all. Then I got a bike and I could do 5 minutes before I thought I would die. Well this month I completed a 53 mile bike ride.

So start slow and build up pushing yourself a little further and You can do it!!!

Good Luck and you will love as you get stronger and stronger :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    That is a GREAT feeling--when you hit the "I'm doing it!" stage and you know you're not going to give up.

I also eased into exercise gently (no health issues, I was just really out of shape from laziness) so I wouldn't exhaust myself and give up. I found a LOT of 10-minute beginner videos on YouTube and elsewhere on the Internet. Sometimes it was just stretching or a walk around the neighborhood, but it really does work if you start slow! I am definitely stronger and am looking forward to step it up (gently!) next month.

Best of luck!
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice all around so far. I would also say just do what you can when you can and you'll be amazed how quickly you can up your time or intensity. I could barely do ten minutes on my exercise bike when I started out and now I'm doing 45 minutes, this week I logged 54 miles! Like someone else said, Youtube is a great place to find work outs. I've used the on demand feature through my cable provider to find quick and easy work outs, some that are only ten minutes. Also check out Prevention Magazine's website. They have so much health and fitness info and lots workout plans, recipes and tips for women.

Keep up the great work, you can do this!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Do what you can each day ....... each week make adjustments ...... if you can't do giant leaps, baby steps will eventually get you to your goals as well ....... and once you've locked onto your winning strategy, keep on truckin' !

Have fun !
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep up the good work :)
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I started my new life this past Monday, I am already feeling 100% better than I did this time last weekend! Because of some medical issues I've had to start slowly with exercise, and at times I've thought what I am doing is quite pathetic compared to some of your workouts. But I have to listen to my body and for right now go with each day trying to move more than the day before. Today was especially thrilling for me because for the first time in a very long time I feel stronger physically, which means more to me than any of you could ever know. I have a very long road ahead of me, but I'm excited about the journey.

Keep it up and build up your endurance slowly and methodically.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. One day at a time!

Good luck.
  • VictoriaDarleneGale
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your encouragement and advice! This site is great!