Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sugar substitute that doesn't taste foul?

I'm weaning myself off sugar in my tea and coffee. I drink a lot of coffee. I can now drink my tea without a spoonful of sugar, but not my coffee. Yet. I'm looking for a sugar substitute but every sweetener I've tried just tastes awful. Tried Canderel, Splenda, Hermesetas and Half Spoon. Any tips for one that tastes more like sugar than bitter chemicals? I'm in the UK.

Thanks.

Replies

• kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    I'm a huge fan of Truvia. I only use one packet for my large coffee. It's made from the stevia plant and it pretty sweet for the amount.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Sadly no. Good news is you can learn to enjoy your coffee without sugar. takes a bit of time but its not that hard.
  • pammypurple
    pammypurple Posts: 27 Member
    Sadly no. Good news is you can learn to enjoy your coffee without sugar. takes a bit of time but its not that hard.

I'm getting there. I'm down from two heaped in a mug to a bumpy level! If it's a really good coffee I can go without but when it's a bog standard instant I struggle a wee bit.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    I was the biggest sugar addict on the planet, now I don't touch sugar, candy, soda, etc. You can trick your body/mind into al sorts of new habits.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    I love coffee and drink it black. It used to be mostly sugar and cream but I have since drastically reduced those amounts.

But sometimes I like to add a little milk or cream, no sugar

You can try that

I can handle coffee with a little bit of cream or milk (husband and I share 1 creamer)
    I can drink it black

But I don't know how people can drink black coffee with sugar.
  • Stevia. Not the dry granulated kind, but the kind that comes in liquid form. lots of flavors available, a few drops is plenty to sweeten things up and a bottle lasts a long long time.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    If you don't have a medical reason not to add sugar, then I'd suggest just making the sugar calories work for you -- reducing it so you free up some calories is fine, but no need to go without entirely!
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    I use Splenda, in my coffee, but only a little of it. It took a little getting used to at first, but now I like it and real sugar tastes horribly sweet. I think any sugar substitute is going to be an adjustment from real sugar.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    I used to have sugar in my coffee for years. Quit cold turkey a couple of years ago and don't miss it.
    BUT - i have stevia. The granulated kind. To me - the taste is very similar to sugar. But my husband likes
    the liquid Stevia. You have to try both to see if one works for you.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    IMO: your caffeine addiction will trump the sugar craving....If you go a few days without caffeine you can train yourself to start to like the coffee w/o sugar just start small half cup at a time and drink good coffee.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member

If your taste buds are sensetive to sugar substitutes, you're going to taste it no matter what. Personally, I just use the sugar and damn the consequences! :drinker:
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm with you on that! - and I can't stand Stevia either its so nasty.
    The only one can stand is Xyla (Xylitol). It tastes like nothing, just adds sweetness not bitter
    its all natural - plant based sugar replacement.
    Usually found in the diabetic section of the store.
    If you're in Canada, you might find it at Sobey's, if not Shopper's has it.

Sorry, I see you are in UK, try Boots.
  • A few people have said Stevia, in either granulated or liquid form. I prefer to go straight to the source. I have a stevia plant out the back and all I have to do is crush one or two leaves (depending on the sweetness desired) and pour on boiling water for a minute or two. Discard leaves, and you have 100% natural, calorie free (one of the wonders of stevia) sweet water to add to your coffee.

FYI, the plant was about $6AU at Bunnings, and pretty much takes care of itself. It is happy to live in a pot.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Why not just give up the coffee?
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    I've tried Stevia once and didn't like it at all. I've read here that the liquid drops are much better so I may try that. I don't like Splenda either. Sweet n Low has a bad saccharine after-taste but I can live with it if that's all there is. I really prefer Equal tho. I've read/heard it's not good for you but I rarely use sweeteners anyway so I'm not real worried about using it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Why not just give up the coffee?

You, OUT!

:wink:
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    I like Stevia - personal preference over the unnatural sugar substitutes. I have a stevia plant, but I also like the powdered versions and liquid drops.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Raw Honey.
  • Why not just give up the coffee?

You, OUT!

:wink:

If your taste buds are sensetive to sugar substitutes, you're going to taste it no matter what. Personally, I just use the sugar and damn the consequences! :drinker:

YES AND YES!