Hoka One One Shoes for running a marathon?

Options
Hi everyone!

I am working on training for my first marathon and it has become very apparent that I am going to need some awesome shoes if I'm going to run anything longer than 10 miles. I was looking on REI's website and I was drawn to the Hoka shoes immediately because they're pretty much everything my podiatrist recommends in a shoe. The problem is there isn't a store that has them in stock for miles and they are very expensive, so I would not want to order them and hate them.

A little more background on me, I am flat footed with some stabilization issues. I do not need additional arch support beyond maintainers ( I do have custom orthotics that I would prefer not to use in a workout shoe as they are hard) or what is provided by my Danskos. When I'm running the first joints to start aching are my ankles, so I need good ankle support as well.

What has your experience been with these shoes? Are they a good pick for long runs?

Replies

• jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What you really need to do is go to a running specific store (here it is Fleet Feet, other places it just depends) and get fitted for the shoe that is best for your foot. They know what shoes work best and Hokas may not be the best shoe for you. Good luck with your training!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have never tried them or even seen them in a store, but Running Warehouse.com has some and they offer a 90 day, no sweat return policy on thier shoes. I just ordered a new pair of Mizuno's from there. I'm currently wearing Brooks.

Good luck with your training. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    What you really need to do is go to a running specific store (here it is Fleet Feet, other places it just depends) and get fitted for the shoe that is best for your foot. They know what shoes work best and Hokas may not be the best shoe for you. Good luck with your training!

This. There is no one shoe that will work for every runner. You need a gait analysis from a running store. Maybe Hokas are perfect, or maybe they will be terrible.
  • hostage46
    Options
    I just went through a similar process. Formerly an avid runner, thought I'd order shoes online based on posts and feedback on runnersworld.com. In 10 seconds it was clear I made a mistake.

So I drove over to "Lukes Locker" and in 30 min had me in a fantastic set of new running shoes.

Have a professional help you select a shoe based on your body type, gate and experience. You will run many hundreds of miles and go through several pairs of shoes when training for a marathon.

Im my case I find Asics to be perfect, YMMV
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of running stores across the west suburbs. Go to one ... or several ... to get a gait analysis and fitting done. If you're going to order the Hoka's from an online shop, make sure they have a no questions asked return policy.
  • gillirob
    gillirob Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ordered my pair from www.Zappos.com where they have a 365 day return policy as long as you don't wear the shoes outside. I am trying them on my treadmill and the jury is still out. My back did not hurt at all after a 3.2 mile run, but, I'm still not sure it's my dream running shoe. I am older and have aches and pains setting in, so I want the most cushioning I can find. I do need a neutral shoe and this is just that. I'm going back and forth with a couple different pairs. I'll make a decision soon, keep one and send the other back at no charge :) Zappos rocks