Obsessing about calories and exercise and everything else!

Options
I've been away on a break in Holland. I've been here 2 months and have 2 weeks left. I started losing weight before I left my home in South Africa, gained weight the first 6 weeks in Holland and finally just got back down to the weight I was when I got here. I'm staying with my friend and her parents and they don't eat particularly healthy. Too much carbs and salt, hardly ever salad. I feel like I have no choice but to eat it because I don't want to be rude. I'm very close with them and they are like family to me. They all have fast metabolisims so they don't understand why I watch what I eat so closely. I started doing Insanity but the house is small and echoes so I don't want to do it in the late evening cause they will hear me and I don't want to occupy the living room in the day. Doing it in my room is not an option because of the floors and all the echoing. The only exercise I'm really getting is walking. I go for a walk 2-3 times a day, usually 30min but 60min in the evening. It's challenging because it's so cold and I'm not used to being in temperatures this low. No matter what I do or eat I lay in bed at night obsessing about how I'm eating wrong and not exercising enough and what I should've done differently. I weigh myself every single day and basically just obsess about everything! I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances but my best just isn't good enough for me right now. I also have clinical depression and I'm stuck in a major dark place at the moment. All this is adding up and giving me sleepless nights!

Does anyone have any advice or experience with a situation similar to any of these? I feel like I'm going to make myself go insane soon!

Replies

• ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm not sure on advice, other than just trying to relax. Your body reacts to stress in that it will cling to all the fat you have instead of allowing you to lose it. If you only have two weeks left, just try to relax and enjoy it. IF the types of food available aren't great, perhaps just eat smaller portions? Or offer to cook sometimes? I know it's rough. Every time I visit my family (I live out of state) it;s the same sort of story. I haven't really figured out a solution yet other than eating smaller portions of what they offer and trying to sneak in fruits and veggies elsewhere. I can't work out around them either. :( Best I can say is cut yourself some slack and relax these last couple of weeks. And know that if you lose your motivation by the time you get home MFP will be here with all these lovely people to help you get back on track :)
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am not sure if I can help either but I am similar to u. I get sick of thinking about food and exercise ALL the time. I wake up, weigh myself, log food and exercise, read these posts and then do it again and again. I am sick and tired of thinking about this. I don't mean I am not going to eat right and exercise, just that I don't want it to consume my day. Maybe it is my new hobby!! It is winter here, cold ,dark and snowy so I do exercise indoors. Can't wait until summer.

Anyway, I hope u have fun for the next two weeks and get back to a routine that does not include obsessing. Or, hope u can turn this obsession into a positive force
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    indoor swimming? and maybe upping some fruit as well?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. I also do yoga. It doesn't burn a whole lot of calories, but it builds muscle & quiets the mind. (Something it sounds like you could really use.) And yoga doesn't make much noise, no matter what your floors are like.

Maybe try some meditation exercises, too. Stress is really bad for you mentally & physically.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's only 2 more weeks. Relax and enjoy it while it lasts. Continue your walks. You could add a little to your walk by doing short intervals of jogging or power walking at a faster pace. Is there a store nearby that you could pick up a salad or fruit? Eat it while you're out on your walks then take smaller portions during the meals they provide.