Carb problems, fat problems, PROBLEMS

Options
Hello hello! This post is mainly to ask a question! (or questions?) They may be silly but here goes...

I find myself in a position where I'm not to eat much fats so my fats must must be under my macros!
I don't eat much meat, maybe some chicken or tuna or salmon (rare pork +beef)
And eggs aren't something i can have much mostly due to cholesterol and eating egg white plain is just unappetising and unfilling!

NOW! My issue really is this: How do i lower my daily carbs (my carbs are usually from healthy foods BUT sometimes not so healthy ones, in either situation i find it really hard to go under my carb limit.) This is proven more difficult because the only foods that have no carbs really is meats (which i don't eat much of! how do vegetarians do it and keep their protein up to snuff!)

Remember, what you suggest also has to be low fat because of health issues regarding fats... cholesterol in eggs isn't good either for me. (That being said, any yummy and filling ways of preparing egg whites i'm open ears about... i've heard with tuna but that sounds so weird to me.)

I hope this was clear... sleepy sleepy me haha. Look forward to hearing from you folks!

Replies

• vvvalentines
    Options
    Beans are very good sources of fat-free protein and a lot of fiber (remember that "net carbs," ie carbs minus fiber, is a little more important than total carbs if you're trying to reduce carbohydrates.) Lentils are also a good option.

There are vegan/vegetarian proteins you could try, like tempeh and seitan. Tempeh is pretty hard to make so you'd be better off buying it most likely, but seitan is easy to make and tastes pretty good. It's not appropriate if you have a sensitivity to gluten, but otherwise is tasty and can be put into basically any recipe in place of meats.

Low-fat or fat-free dairy is good. Fat-free Greek yogurt is very creamy and has a ton of easy-to-digest dairy protein without fat.

Skinless chicken breast is a good option, and if you like and can eat seafood then shrimp is a very low-fat protein.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    so you want to do low fat (due to cholesterol), low protein (cause you don't really like to eat it) and low carb, because ....

I don't know how to put this and you have been on this site for a while so you probably know all this, but usually it's a matter of proportion: people who follow a low carb diet, eat high protein and fat, people who follow a low fat diet, eat more protein and carbs. So pick one, any one and adjust your proportions accordingly.

Vegetarians get their protein from legumes (beans, lentils), dairy products, soy, and nuts. Do any of those appeal to you?
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    so you want to do low fat (due to cholesterol), low protein (cause you don't really like to eat it) and low carb, because ....

I don't know how to put this and you have been on this site for a while so you probably know all this, but usually it's a matter of proportion: people who follow a low carb diet, eat high protein and fat, people who follow a low fat diet, eat more protein and carbs. So pick one, any one and adjust your proportions accordingly.

Vegetarians get their protein from legumes (beans, lentils), dairy products, soy, and nuts. Do any of those appeal to you?

I don't want low anything to be honest...

I have to do low fat not because of cholesterol, it's because of a gallbladder issue, dr told me to go low fat. so i must, above all else, keep my fat intake in the green.

I don't want low protein, i want high protein to fit my macros but since i don't like much meats and stuff it's hard for me to get protein. So i'm looking for suggested proteins that aren't from fats with preferably not high carbs BECAUSE my carbs are already tough to keep in the green.

Low carb ... not exactly... i just want to, again, fit my macros... i'm always over because i try to get enough protein and since i don't eat enough meats all the other stuff that contain protein has high carbs. ex: beans.

I guess by what you say default, because i HAVE to keep my fats under the green then i have to eat more protein and carbs. In that case, should i be changing my percentages around to accept more carbs and protein?

yes, i generally follow a vegetarian diet except that i partake in chicken, salmon or tuna sometimes.

So that leaves it down to, what should my macro percentages be then? I have them on default, but if i have to have fats down low then i guess i have to change them accordingly so i don't see all those reds in carbs o.o
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Beans are very good sources of fat-free protein and a lot of fiber (remember that "net carbs," ie carbs minus fiber, is a little more important than total carbs if you're trying to reduce carbohydrates.) Lentils are also a good option.

There are vegan/vegetarian proteins you could try, like tempeh and seitan. Tempeh is pretty hard to make so you'd be better off buying it most likely, but seitan is easy to make and tastes pretty good. It's not appropriate if you have a sensitivity to gluten, but otherwise is tasty and can be put into basically any recipe in place of meats.

Low-fat or fat-free dairy is good. Fat-free Greek yogurt is very creamy and has a ton of easy-to-digest dairy protein without fat.

Skinless chicken breast is a good option, and if you like and can eat seafood then shrimp is a very low-fat protein.

I do like beans as a replacement to meats and for fat-free protein. Although net carbs is something i have a hard time wrapping my mind around. I really just follow what shows up when i put them in on here... so if they don't do net carbs or net calories or anything like that then i don't know how it works.

I'll look into tempeh and seitan! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sensitive to gluten at all.

I do eat fat free yogurts or fat free greek yogurts. They are perfect but of course i can't have too much because the carbs start to add up right?

I didn't know shrim was low fat with good protein. I'm not a big fan of it but! i'll feel less bad about eating it haha. I love skinless chicken breast, i'm currently working on ways to spice or marinade it.

Thank you for your comment and wonderful suggestions!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Along with shrimp, most white fish is also high in protein and low in fat. Definitely lower than salmon.

I live in Switzerland and one of the 'normal' grocery stores has protein bread. It's a heavy bread with lots of seed in it, so you have to like that kind of stuff (linseeds, sunflower seeds etc), but it is very high in protein for a bread and much lower in carbs. I like it as an alternative to normal bread, because my body doesn't react well to grain carbs (bloating / water retention) and I can increase my protein at the same time.
  • Nikoruo
    Options

I do like beans as a replacement to meats and for fat-free protein. Although net carbs is something i have a hard time wrapping my mind around. I really just follow what shows up when i put them in on here... so if they don't do net carbs or net calories or anything like that then i don't know how it works.

I'll look into tempeh and seitan! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sensitive to gluten at all.

I do eat fat free yogurts or fat free greek yogurts. They are perfect but of course i can't have too much because the carbs start to add up right?

I didn't know shrim was low fat with good protein. I'm not a big fan of it but! i'll feel less bad about eating it haha. I love skinless chicken breast, i'm currently working on ways to spice or marinade it.

Thank you for your comment and wonderful suggestions!

Why are you obsessing about this?

What are you concerned about?

o.o I'm not obsessing? I'm asking an essential questions like "What should my macro percentages be?" and "what are some foods that will allow me to be within my macros (especially fats because of health)

I just want to fit my macros. The only thing that concerns me is my fats being too high because if they are then i'll likely have another gallbladder attack... which i'd like to avoid (I don't want to remove the part). I'm trying to learn how to live with it :P
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Along with shrimp, most white fish is also high in protein and low in fat. Definitely lower than salmon.

I live in Switzerland and one of the 'normal' grocery stores has protein bread. It's a heavy bread with lots of seed in it, so you have to like that kind of stuff (linseeds, sunflower seeds etc), but it is very high in protein for a bread and much lower in carbs. I like it as an alternative to normal bread, because my body doesn't react well to grain carbs (bloating / water retention) and I can increase my protein at the same time.

Thank you! this is wonderful stuff. I didn't know that bout white fish.

Nor about breads! I didn't think breads really had protein. i went shopping today and got a sprouted grains bread and it has 6 protein per slice. :) very nice. Also low in fat!
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Have you tried protein supplements?
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you're going to lower carbs, you need to up fats just to get enough calories every day. Have you tried looking into healthier fats like avocados or nuts?

I would also recommend just sticking to high fiber carbs. You can just subtract fiber from your total carbs because your body can't digest it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You could look up low glycemic carbs, because those really are good for you (some diabetics still can't eat some of them). So definitely beans as suggested above, but also many fruits and most vegetables (but not all). Whole grains can be great, so those Swiss breads would still work.

The 'bad' parts of carbs are usually just because of the BG spike, which really does lead to problems in many people. Those are usually the 'quick' carbs with no or little fiber.

You can also look into supplemental enzymes (OTC) that help break down the fat. I have to do that (for a dodgy gallbladder). Run it by your gastro doc first, because mixed products often contain ox bile and stuff. Lovely where needed but very bad for some conditions! I use the ones that help break down proteins and fat when my gallbladder is acting up. Of course, I also try to limit the offending foods, too :)

Watch your choloesterol, yes. There is an Rx medicine that helps gallbladder sufferers who need to lower cholesterol (not statins). You might ask about that. Also, fiber helps lower it, so the very healthy carbs can help your gallbladder, too!
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Have you tried protein supplements?
    Yep, i currently indulge in protein shakes on the occasion and high protein bars like 'Pure Protein' and 'Quest'
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you're going to lower carbs, you need to up fats just to get enough calories every day. Have you tried looking into healthier fats like avocados or nuts?

I would also recommend just sticking to high fiber carbs. You can just subtract fiber from your total carbs because your body can't digest it.

Aw aw, yes i do try to have those but it seems to be fats in general. I just want to fit all my macros but because i generally try to keep my fats low so i don't hurt myself, my carbs seem to go over. It's lame sauce!

high fiber carbs like fruits and veggies and bran? By subtract fibre from your carbs, do you literally mean that the number i see when mfp adds up my fibres i should subtract from the total it gives me in carbs?
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    You could look up low glycemic carbs, because those really are good for you (some diabetics still can't eat some of them). So definitely beans as suggested above, but also many fruits and most vegetables (but not all). Whole grains can be great, so those Swiss breads would still work.

The 'bad' parts of carbs are usually just because of the BG spike, which really does lead to problems in many people. Those are usually the 'quick' carbs with no or little fiber.

You can also look into supplemental enzymes (OTC) that help break down the fat. I have to do that (for a dodgy gallbladder). Run it by your gastro doc first, because mixed products often contain ox bile and stuff. Lovely where needed but very bad for some conditions! I use the ones that help break down proteins and fat when my gallbladder is acting up. Of course, I also try to limit the offending foods, too :)

Watch your cholesterol, yes. There is an Rx medicine that helps gallbladder sufferers who need to lower cholesterol (not statins). You might ask about that. Also, fiber helps lower it, so the very healthy carbs can help your gallbladder, too!

Okay i'll definitely have that a look! Thanks!

what does BG stand for? and okay, so carbs that come from good sources such as fruits and veggies are fine but from things like kraft dinner as an example are not? (packaged foods?)

That's what my issue is! Dodgy gallbladder that i don't want to get rid of but want to work around it. So i'll look into that and ask about it if it could help to prevent it.

Oh i didn't know that! Okay i'll have a look see on that as well.

Thank you so much, all your advice has been greatly helpful! :)!
  • ddrhellbunny
    ddrhellbunny Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How are you with dairy products such as low fat milk or yogurt? They have some decent protein in them as well.
    The fage 0% Greek yogurt has 21 grams of protein per serving ( in the large container, so per cup) and also 12 grams of protein per the small containers of 5.3 ounce with fruit. It's a pretty good option and it's quite tasty :)
  • Nikoruo
    Options
    How are you with dairy products such as low fat milk or yogurt? They have some decent protein in them as well.
    The fage 0% Greek yogurt has 21 grams of protein per serving ( in the large container, so per cup) and also 12 grams of protein per the small containers of 5.3 ounce with fruit. It's a pretty good option and it's quite tasty :)

I full-heartedly agree with everything you stated here. I'm wonderful with yogurt and milk in the little to no fat form. Have nothing else but that. I've been slowly adding fruits to them to give them more flavors :) The only issue with that is that most fruits are pretty high in carbs which has become a problem since i'm trying to watch my fats haha. Delicious though! Now to find some tasty no fat cheese. xD