working out/calorie question

Options
I am new to mfp and also new to working out in the gym for that matter. I entered in what I ate today and my goal weight, etc.... and mfp said that I should eat about 1,200. Well I ate 1,450 today. I also burned around 500 calories in a cross training class.

Now mfp is saying I should eat 300 more calories? I really don't want to do that...........

suggestions??

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    That's how MFP works - your daily goal has you at a deficit before exercise - meaning you can eat all your calories every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. Burning off more cals through exercise leaves you with a much larger deficit, too large, and can cause you all sorts of problems in the long run. This is why the calories are added back into your daily goal - you are supposed to eat them back. Especially with a goal of 1200, which is the lowest recommended intake for women.

So your daily NET cals should be at or very near goal at the end of the day. :smile:
  • seever
    seever Posts: 30
    Options
    Really? I find myself in this situation most every day, and assume I'm either under accounting for the day, or am otherwise ok as I'm not hungry for the extra calories. Should we really be forcing ourselves to eat more to serve the calorie calculator? That really doesn't seem right.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    "To serve the calorie counter"? No, that's what it is estimating you need to maintain your body and lose at the rate you said you wanted to.

I am often a bit under, but that varies with the time of the year (I'm a lot hungrier when I'm cold). Personally, I eat until I'm satisfied, make sure I am not too far under my net calorie goal, and use every calorie I want when I'm hungry. If I log really accurately, I find that I add several hundred calories in every day from things like mayonaise on a sandwich, garnishes, ketchup, etc. or underestimating portion size.

It is also possible to overestimate calories earned through exercise. A pedometer (fitbit, etc.) can help.

But MFP just runs on models. You may need fewer calories than average. You may also be eating the right things to keep you full on few calories. Some people do. On the other hand, what were you eating before you started here and, if you are here because you are overweight, what will change?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Really? I find myself in this situation most every day, and assume I'm either under accounting for the day, or am otherwise ok as I'm not hungry for the extra calories. Should we really be forcing ourselves to eat more to serve the calorie calculator? That really doesn't seem right.

MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. The deficit you need to lose the weight you want is already built into your calorie goal, so adding extra exercise on top of that makes the deficit even bigger, which is not necessarily a good thing. As mentioned above, you're not serving the calorie calculator - you're serving yourself and your body's needs based on the information you gave when you signed up.

If you're not sure that your calorie burns are accurate, you can always round down or eat half. But yes, you should eat your exercise calories. :smile: