Hello from Iowa

Thought I would introduce myself. My hubby and I signed up for a weight loss contest in an effort to kick-start eating better and motivate us to be more active. We weighed in two weeks ago and since then have been watching what we eat diligently and going to the gym at least every other day (we both prefer every day, but sometimes that isn't possible). We were talking tonight about health changes, such as not being as tired during the day and he has had to use his inhaler less, even though he is getting more exercise than before. We are both very happy with what we have accomplished in the first two weeks (contest goes for 10 weeks total). We plan to keep this up long after the contest though to be able to be more active with our son and hope expand our family once I get to a healthier weight.

Does anyone have any insight into salt and a diet? I've noticed this week that my sodium intake has been more and it seems to have slowed any weight loss. Don't know if it is a coincidence or the effect of the salt.

Replies

• deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,378 Member
    I think the higher sodium causes you to retain more water than you might with a lower sodium intake. That water makes the scale read a bit higher. There are other health concerns with high sodium in the diet too. Like high blood pressure.

I'm in Iowa too. Keep warm over the next few days. The forecast doesn't look good.
  • veggiemary
    veggiemary Posts: 12 Member
    Hi! I'm in Des Moines. Welcome to MFP. This is a great tool and will help you to track what you eat so you can see where you're missing needed foods. For me, it was protein.

It may be the increased sodium in your diet, or it could just be your body adjusting. Be patient, you'll get there. The days will seem to pass slowly, but one day you'll wake up and it will be 5 or 6 months later and you'll feel fantastic!

Good luck!
  • Additional salt won't hurt you if you match it with increased water. When you get into the zone of proper hydration (which you can't achieve or maintain without salt, btw) you won't retain water anymore, and weight loss is easier because cravings for sugar and caffeine go away. Good luck!
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Hello from Grimes! I love this site! It has helped me loose almost 30lbs with an overall loss of 38lbs since March 2013. I have many days where I am way over on my sodium and have noticed that my weight will fluctuate about 2-5lbs. It does go down in a few days but sucks seeing the number go up on the scale! Best of luck to you in your journey :smile: