Freezing Meatballs?

So people have mentioned freezing foods for food prep and I was wondering about meatballs - do you freeze them after you cook them and how long can you keep them frozen for before they go bad?

I'd like to make a huge batch but don't want to be eatin them every day. If I can freeze half and then thaw them out later (a week later or 2) that would make things so much easier!

any tips would be much appreciated!

Replies

• darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    So, I can't be of much help, since I freeze the mini meatballs I make individually BEFORE cooking and only take out the portion I want to cook. They keep as long as beef/turkeybacon/egg/<all the dry ingredients> keep in the freezer. *shrug*

Anyway, bumping for an actual real response. :happy:
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    we do that ALL THE TIME! you can make great meatballs in the oven for a fraction of the work. they are just as nice and brown as in the pan.

just bake them and then cool them ... then store them loose in a big freezer ziplok bag and you can use them a handful at a time. i make them one-ounce size (use a tiny scoop) and grab handsful for lunchboxes, a quick pasta dinner, sliced onto a pizza, a quick hot sub ... so many uses! you can even dice them up and use them in wraps or other recipes ...

and soooo much healthier than the frozen type you buy!

we also make homemade egg rolls and frozen pizzas (we eat clean/organic) ... really gives you the convenience of the fast food with the cost and health benefits of 'real food' ... !

ETA: want some amazing meatballs and meatloaf (we freeze those too, in half loaves) ... try SMOKING them on your grill! put them on and don't touch until they are seared and brown, then turn gently and you'll have no problems! use a meat thermometer for the meatloaves. nothing tastier than smoked meatballs and meatloaf in the middle of winter! :)
  • Happy_Taco
    Happy_Taco Posts: 48 Member
    thanks for the reply! Do you know how long you can keep them in the freezer before they go bad?

I always oven bake mine and they are so tasty, but it does take a while to make them so freezing would be great. I agree - there are so many uses!