Injured Knee and need help losing weight!

Options
Hello everyone!

Well I injured my knee a while back and ever since early November I have not been able to use it right. I was on crutches and now I can finally walk okay but not a lot on it. I definitely cannot run or do any walking to lose weight. I keep it wrapped all the time because it'll hurt so much.

Are there any exercises anyone recommends so I can lose weight? I mean since I cannot really do any cardio. I am not sure exactly what's wrong with my knee. I've been to doctor but xrays came back fine and I do not have insurance to keep going. My dumb self opted out of the insurance that my employer provides and by the time I tried to get it was too late because I work for a school and the insurance is only available to obtain for about 30 days of the year.

Anyway any suggestions will help!!

Replies

• sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My 11 yr old injured her leg in phy ed and they thought she sprained it at first. When they x rayed it they found 3 cysts one on her femer and 2 on her Tibia. non dangerous but the one was large enough it caused a stress fracture below her knee and she has a really hard time doing much on it. What has helped her out some is bending it some in a hot tub, walking in a pool. Chair Boxing workouts. She likes there is a Tiffany Rothe Chair workout "Get Fit while you Sit sweet sensations" workout that she likes. that is on you tube. Weights laying down on your back or your side.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Pilates mat work or 'floor barre' from ballet are both great. Ballet DVDs can be great as long as you don't do the plies (and sometimes they are heavy on those... I fast forward). But for standing ballet make sure your standing leg can take it; some knee problems will act up trying to keep balance.

Most yoga is awesome, but you'll need to watch your knee in many poses that are included in most beginner DVDs (the warrior series and other lunge poses like in Sun Salutations). I'd still recommend yoga very much, but do look for DVDs that don't just fill up the workout with those. If you do them, put your weight more on other body parts or even keep a straight knee. Amazon reviews often give a full rundown of the poses in a DVD, so that's one option. I very rarely do Warrior, and I do lots of yoga :) Good luck!
  • BellaKaren89
    Options
    My 11 yr old injured her leg in phy ed and they thought she sprained it at first. When they x rayed it they found 3 cysts one on her femer and 2 on her Tibia. non dangerous but the one was large enough it caused a stress fracture below her knee and she has a really hard time doing much on it. What has helped her out some is bending it some in a hot tub, walking in a pool. Chair Boxing workouts. She likes there is a Tiffany Rothe Chair workout "Get Fit while you Sit sweet sensations" workout that she likes. that is on you tube. Weights laying down on your back or your side.

Oh wow sorry that happened to your little one. Thanks for the recommendations on the exercises. I will try it.
  • BellaKaren89
    Options
    Pilates mat work or 'floor barre' from ballet are both great. Ballet DVDs can be great as long as you don't do the plies (and sometimes they are heavy on those... I fast forward). But for standing ballet make sure your standing leg can take it; some knee problems will act up trying to keep balance.

Most yoga is awesome, but you'll need to watch your knee in many poses that are included in most beginner DVDs (the warrior series and other lunge poses like in Sun Salutations). I'd still recommend yoga very much, but do look for DVDs that don't just fill up the workout with those. If you do them, put your weight more on other body parts or even keep a straight knee. Amazon reviews often give a full rundown of the poses in a DVD, so that's one option. I very rarely do Warrior, and I do lots of yoga :) Good luck!

Thank you! I am going to look on Amazon for that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Exercise lets you eat more, but it's not necessary. Use your convalescence to learn how to log. Then work your way up to swimming (it's low-impact) and then walking.

Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There are many exercise routines on youtube that are for seated aerobics...yoga...even strength training. Some of them are great and will give you quite a workout. It just comes down to searching for the ones that are right for you.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have an a knee that I can't do many exercises in because of two accidents it was damaged in. I took up rebounding on a high quality mini trampoline and I"m finding its helping me tremendously.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings. A 15-25 lbs kettlebell and swing it between your legs for reps. Get's your heart rate up quickly. Just check youtube for some SFG or RKC (Pavel Tsatsouline) videos for how to swing properly. Videos showing slow motion swings should be trashed.
  • cshores123
    cshores123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions for you. First, see if you can afford to sign up for Obamacare. It is there to help folks with no health insurance. You can always opt-in at work next year. In the meantime you will have insurance.

I feel your pain on the knee thing. I too had unexplained knee pain -- for many years. Eventually the doctors figured out what was going on and I had a knee replacement 5 years ago and have been so much happier and healthier ever since. My compassionate orthopedic surgeon suggested that I "find a pool and use it." So I joined a gym with an outdoor pool and a water aerobics and strength training program. I loved it! Water is 12 times as dense as air so your exercise is very beneficial because of the resistance. I enjoyed it so much that I earned my certification and became an instructor and now teach at the gym. We have several classes per week aimed at people with physical problems. We work with people's limitations -- some are temporary limitations and some are permanent. Int the pool you can do aerobic arm exercises which greatly benefit your entire body because your arms are trying to pull your lower body out of position. It becomes an isometric lower body exercise too.

I hope you live where you can find a gym that has such a program. It has literally changed my life in every way. Now I can do Zumba classes both on land and in the pool. What a blast! Good luck!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Well I injured my knee a while back and ever since early November I have not been able to use it right. I was on crutches and now I can finally walk okay but not a lot on it. I definitely cannot run or do any walking to lose weight. I keep it wrapped all the time because it'll hurt so much.

Are there any exercises anyone recommends so I can lose weight? I mean since I cannot really do any cardio. I am not sure exactly what's wrong with my knee. I've been to doctor but xrays came back fine and I do not have insurance to keep going. My dumb self opted out of the insurance that my employer provides and by the time I tried to get it was too late because I work for a school and the insurance is only available to obtain for about 30 days of the year.

Anyway any suggestions will help!!

I lost over 50lbs without doing any exercise-losing weight is about a calorie deficit.
  • BellaKaren89
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions for you. First, see if you can afford to sign up for Obamacare. It is there to help folks with no health insurance. You can always opt-in at work next year. In the meantime you will have insurance.

I feel your pain on the knee thing. I too had unexplained knee pain -- for many years. Eventually the doctors figured out what was going on and I had a knee replacement 5 years ago and have been so much happier and healthier ever since. My compassionate orthopedic surgeon suggested that I "find a pool and use it." So I joined a gym with an outdoor pool and a water aerobics and strength training program. I loved it! Water is 12 times as dense as air so your exercise is very beneficial because of the resistance. I enjoyed it so much that I earned my certification and became an instructor and now teach at the gym. We have several classes per week aimed at people with physical problems. We work with people's limitations -- some are temporary limitations and some are permanent. Int the pool you can do aerobic arm exercises which greatly benefit your entire body because your arms are trying to pull your lower body out of position. It becomes an isometric lower body exercise too.

I hope you live where you can find a gym that has such a program. It has literally changed my life in every way. Now I can do Zumba classes both on land and in the pool. What a blast! Good luck!

Hi there. Yes there is an LA Fitness around here that offers those pool classes. I used to have a membership there but I am a single mom, work full time, and go to school full time that I had no time to go. The only time I really had was to go jogging at the high school's track next door from my house with my kid in the stroller or her bike. But I'll be finishing school soon so I do plan on getting that gym membership soon! And yes I did think about the Affordable Healthcare Act and I even applied for it but I did not understand one bit how it works so I guess I'll have to find that out.
  • BellaKaren89
    Options
    I have an a knee that I can't do many exercises in because of two accidents it was damaged in. I took up rebounding on a high quality mini trampoline and I"m finding its helping me tremendously.

Wow I'm so scared to do that. I can't even stretch my knee out straight.
  • BellaKaren89
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Exercise lets you eat more, but it's not necessary. Use your convalescence to learn how to log. Then work your way up to swimming (it's low-impact) and then walking.

Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

Honestly I do not eat a lot. And when I do I try to eat real healthy. Not saying that I do not have that occasional slice of pizza, or a cake at a birthday party but I really try to watch what I eat. I already lost more than 80lbs so at this point I think my body just wants to eat and for me to exercise lol.